oil changes

Do you change your vehicles oil, or pay someone else to do it?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you change your vehicles oil, or pay someone else to do it?

• Do it myself
    • Let someone else do it

Guest db99wj

I believe that all places that have the ability are required by law to take used oil, for free. It's a federal law I believe.

Disclaimer: I believe I remember this correctly from what I read on a Jeep forum I'm a member of.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

A friend of mine in college borrowed his parents suburban one week while they were out of town and thought he would be nice and have the oil changed for them at a jiffy lube. When he left he didn't notice it was leaking oil and made it almost back to his apartment when the engine seized. They had cross threaded the filter and it didn't seat. They ended up only paying a part of the engine replacement because the suburban had alot of miles on it. (I would have held out for the whole thing)

I believe that all places that have the ability are required by law to take used oil, for free. It's a federal law I believe.

That is correct but Wal Mart in Jackson will only take two gallons a day. BUT they will sell you all you want. They said their reason for this was that they would fill up their tank and not be able to hold any more.

Just a note folks.Oil change places,WalMart,and even allot of shops,and dealers have dedicated oil changers that are not mechanics.

You're talking about a run of the mil 7 dollar an hour guy off the streets.

You might think its better to go to a dealer,but....just sayin

I used to change it myself,but now its just to much of a hassle!

Although I'm thinking about doing it myself again after I took my Trailblazer for the first time :D Damn thing holds a full 7Q with filter which isn't cheep!

\

Aint that the truth. I still do mine myself most of the time but disposing of the old oil is a hassle. With four vehicles and two boats, one with twin engines and a gen set, I have a lot of used oil to get rid of. I carried off about 15 gallons last week. If anything causes me to start getting someone else to change it this will be the reason.

If you check around there are some good places to get it done that does not cost that much more. I just hate to go some where and wait for anything. Yeah I know I'm impatient.

How is it that big a hassle? After changing it, I pour the old oil into gallon milk jugs and take it to AutoZone the next time I'm buying oil. If it piles up, I could see it being a nuisance, but I try to keep up with it.

Guest RISC777

I prefer doing my own so I can put the oil that I want in without paying bloated cost at a quickie change place. But, at the same time I hate the trip to dump the used oil that was drained out.

I work at autozone we take used oil for free without limit the only exception is if our tank is full or the oil has water, leaves or other foreign debris in it. One guy came in with about a 20 gallon storage tote with full of oil but with leaves and pine cones and water all mixed in we refused him and he poured it out all over the parking lot, luckily we got it cleaned up before someone called hazmat on us.

I'm fully capable of changing the oil in my own vehicles and have in the past.

But a few years back, a man that hired me when I was a kid (17) to work commercial HVAC construction under him and who taught and guided me in excellent work ethics retired from that career and built his own Havoline oil and lube business. I feel it now, my responsibility to give him my patronage to help him the same way he helped me so many years ago.

If you don't do your own vehicle maintenance (oil, lube, fluids, & tire rotate) and want someone who does a very thorough and responsible job, check out Harpeth Quick Lube at the Kingston Springs exit right off Interstate 40 on Petro Road behind Petro 2 truckstop. I take my RAM 1500 to no one else.

Guest db99wj
I'm fully capable of changing the oil in my own vehicles and have in the past.

But a few years back, a man that hired me when I was a kid (17) to work commercial HVAC construction under him and who taught and guided me in excellent work ethics retired from that career and built his own Havoline oil and lube business. I feel it now, my responsibility to give him my patronage to help him the same way he helped me so many years ago.

If you don't do your own vehicle maintenance (oil, lube, fluids, & tire rotate) and want someone who does a very thorough and responsible job, check out Harpeth Quick Lube at the Kingston Springs exit right off Interstate 40 on Petro Road behind Petro 2 truckstop. I take my RAM 1500 to no one else.

You situation is different, you have a relationship with the owner. I had that, a good friend of mine was the manager at a Valvoline and I used him exclusively. He has since left and is actually at the police academy, but anyway, I am thinking I might start doing my own when I get my new Jeep.

If I don't or on my wife's, the Grand Caravan looks like a bitch to get to everything, I will mark the filter with a sharpy, to insure a new filter is used, and double check the plug, and oil level...everytime. I, for the most part, check it everytime.

I really need to start doing it myself, save me some money, synthetic oil changes are expensive.

You situation is different, you have a relationship with the owner. I had that, a good friend of mine was the manager at a Valvoline and I used him exclusively. He has since left and is actually at the police academy, but anyway, I am thinking I might start doing my own when I get my new Jeep.

If I don't or on my wife's, the Grand Caravan looks like a bitch to get to everything, I will mark the filter with a sharpy, to insure a new filter is used, and double check the plug, and oil level...everytime. I, for the most part, check it everytime.

I really need to start doing it myself, save me some money, synthetic oil changes are expensive.

I know what you mean.

My mom used to just go to the nearest place when it was time for service.

After loosing a few hubcaps from a hasty tire rotate and a cross threaded oil plug...She's become pretty picky. She goes where I go, now.

My dad has a company truck that he would take for servicing. The Quaker State places were bad about not greasing the front end even after returning and telling them to.

Frankly, for most of us, If you don't have a grease rack or pit and a set of metric tools, you're pretty much slave to these places, anyway. You've got to be picky and when you find a place you like, it seems they have an employee turn over and the whole search starts again.

I rebuilt the automatic transmission in my old Grand Cherokee if that says anything...no shop ever touches my rides, except for the occasional alignment or to mount and balance tires. (You can only get it so close in the driveway w/o a rack and computer and golf balls & BBs get the balance close, but depending on the vehicle, nothing beats a good RoadForce balance).

I used to always do my own vehicle maintenance within reason, but now I live in an apartment that is kinda upscale so they pretty much frown if you even have ur hood up for more than 10 minutes lol

I take mine to a local place. The guys are always great, they have good prices, and they are quick and efficient. So I don't mind tossing them a few bucks to do it.