Favorite & Least Favorite Gun Shops in Middle Tn.

Guest hickok

Guest hickok

I thought it would be nice to give the good gun shops around Middle Tennessee (or elsewhere) some much-deserved publicity, as well as a heads-up on those we might not want to bother about. Personally, I really enjoy little hole-in-the-wall gun shops sometimes, but here's the criteria for me: Inventory, Friendliness, Prices, Knowledge of products, Gunsmith, etc.

Maybe give a brief couple of reasons for your choices. Also, in the interest of Full Disclosure, please let us know if you work in a gun shop or have financial interest in one.

Best: Guns & Leather - they excel in all the reasons listed, in my opinion.

Frontier Firearms, The Reloader's Bench, & the Joelton Gun Shop all rank high, as well for me. Friendly, helpful staff, fair prices, and enjoyable to visit. Franklin Gun Shop would rank very, very high on Inventory. Incredible place.

Worst: Nashville Sporting Arms on Charlotte Ave. - poor inventory & whoever the older fellow is in there needs a personality transplant at his earliest convenience.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

favorite is HERO-GEAR in winchester, amazing invetory, best customer serice you can ask for and they can do just about anything firearms related and if they cant they will tell you the best place to ge it done. and to top it off i heard they are expanding soon, to cover even more bases.

least favorite is Executive Protection bureau in tullahoma. extremely low inventory, and they act like you are a nuisance to them to be there unless you are a cop. very poor customer service and severely lacking in the inventory and their prices are higher than anyone around here.

Best

I have certian resons for visiting my favorites.

Bellshire Hardware - Nashville - Prices and Customer Service

- I like dealing with Phil at Bellshire, because he gives you his best price right off the bat. None of that "I can get it at Joe Bob's Gun Shack for less, will you match/beat it." Not much of an inventory (because of location), but can order just about anything I've ever asked about. Super helpful and friendly.

Hero Gear - Winchester - Inventory and Customer Service

- Just walk in the door. The place almost speaks for itself. Inventory that you won't find at most places. Joe was a huge help during my AR Build. Very knowledgeable staff.

Guns & Leather - Greenbrier - Inventory, Customer Service and Indoor Range

- Another shop with a nice inventory. The staff has always treated me well, and the indoor range is a big plus.

I don't really waste my time with the others in the Middle Tennessee area. I've tried just about all of them more than once, but they lack the abaility to keep me coming back, even if it's just to browse.

Even though customer service is nice, I'm more interested in price and inventory. Admittedly, price is probably most important, and that's why I've spent so much with Bellshire Hardware. I'm willing to wait a few extra days for what I'm wanting. Others may be able to meet/beat his prices, but I'm not willing to ask for it.

If I were an impulse buyer, some of the other shops that I choose not to visit may get more of my business, but when I walk into a gun shop, unless I'm just window shopping, I pretty well know exactly what I'm looking for. Walking into a gun shop, and walking out with a gun that I had no intentions of buying isn't really my style.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest nosnos

Best - I need to make a trip to Hero Gear because I hear it's totally worth the drive. My favorite shop when I'm actually going to BUY a gun: He Who's Name Shall Not Be Mentioned

Worst - It seems like the more employees there are the higher my chances of dealing with some sort of jerk...

Edited by nosnos

I gotta say G&L and Hero-Gear, even though last Friday was my first experience at Hero-Gear, I was very impressed.

Gotta agree w/ Nashville Sporting Arms being lacking in all of the categories that make a shop appealing. It was located close to my former employer, so I stopped in one afternoon, and the following conversation pretty much sums up my experience there:

Me: You don't have any stripped AR lowers in stock, do you?

Old Guy: Nope.

Me: So, would you be expecting any in?

Old Guy: Nah, unlikely.

Me: So, if I ordered one from somewhere and had it transferred through your shop, how much would you charge?

Old Guy: We don't do transfers.

Me: Er... Ok.. See ya.

Amen Nightrunner.

There is another store Hoseltons adventures. Not far from the house has good ammo prices among other things. Good people too. In Tullahoma going towards Lynchburg

Is that Alvin? He does guns, too?

Guest hickok

Hero Gear, huh. Ain't never heared of it. Sound like it's worth a drive down that way sometime. Is it hard to find in Winchester?

Thanks,

Best - The Saddle Shop (Arrington, TN), Hero Gear (Winchester, TN), The Outpost Armory (Christiana, TN)

Each for their own reasons. The Saddle shop is like the little shop I grew up with. Small friendly, not a huge inventory but they will do special orders and transfers. Very friendly and easy to work with. Hero Gear - Man I could go on and on here but to keep it short...Great on hand inventory of firearms, ammo, accessories, clothing. Very knowledgeable and friendly staff...these guys are awesome. The Outpost - While these guys are new and I have seen mixed reviews, I have NEVER had a negative experience in person on on the phone. Good inventory and improving, decent selection of accessories including some very hard to find items, great ammo selection and pricing, the staff is willing to go out of their way to find an answer for you.

Worst - Uselton's (Franklin, TN) High prices, rude staff, owner wants to take away gun owners right to sell their own firearms and numerous other reasons that I'm not gonna go into. On Target (Murfreesboro, TN) Gun shop and range - My biggeat problem here is that the staff gives the impression that you are inconveniencing them unless your are a LEO. It may not be intentional but I have felt that way every time I have asked a question or visited the store.

Guest parris001

My hands down favorite is Bellshire Hardware. Phil is a good guy to deal with and I like to support him because of the way he chooses to run his business. Anyone else here remember being a kid and the local hardware store was where your dad went to buy guns? I like that about Phil and his business.

On the other end of the scale is Useltons. Rick is a 'hole. He is using political leverage to shaft all of Middle Tennessee's gun owners. He is a pestilence and will do great harm to the gun community if he doesn't go out of business first.

Guest eyebedam

Best. Goodlettsville Gun shop. Sometimes I just stop by there for the good conversation. Phils a straight up cool dude to deal with.

2nd. Bellshire hardware. That phil has great prices.

Worst. East-side biggest prick I've ever talked to.

In Clarksville Tennessee

Tennessee Gun Country

Retired and active military run it, pretty good selection, good people and good deals, especially for LEO's and Military (active/retired).

1525-C Ft. Campbell Blvd.

Clarksville, TN 37042 931-552-2118

In Springfield Tennessee

Second Amendment Gun Shop

Good people, smaller selection, inexpensive HCP class, multi purpose inside range.

903 South Main Street

Springfield, TN 37172 615-384-5255

CLarksville Tennessee

Grandpa's

Too expensive, no trading, not the best people in my opinion, good selection.

Guns and Leather great gun shop I also like academy sports not really just a gun shop but I had to mention them Tim is a good guy and tries his best to ammo in stock ;)

Best

Bellshire Hardware - Nashville - Prices and Customer Service

- I like dealing with Phil at Bellshire, because he gives you his best price right off the bat. None of that "I can get it at Joe Bob's Gun Shack for less, will you match/beat it." Not much of an inventory (because of location), but can order just about anything I've ever asked about. Super helpful and friendly.

Guns & Leather - Greenbrier - Inventory, Customer Service and Indoor Range

- Another shop with a nice inventory. The staff has always treated me well, and the indoor range is a big plus.

I agree with both of the above. I've not yet made it to Hero Gear, but since one of my kids is in school at UTC, I plan on stopping when I pass by one of these days.

As for other places mentioned, I also agree that Nashville Sporting Arms took just one visit to tell me I didn't need to stop there ever again.

Guest Sixguns

Didn't see any one post on Guns for America near 100 Oaks, but I recently purchased a Kahr PM9 there. The owners name is Tom and he is one of the most friendly guys I have ever bought a gun from. The shop is as well stocked (about like the reloaders bench for inventory). Wonderful experience there and would recommend going by and checking out the store if you haven’t already. Tom really reminded me of someone who truly cares about the customer experience, and seemed to go out of his way to ensure you are happy with a purchase there.

Guest Patty

Toliver's Pawn Shop, best place I have been to to buy. Any other place would be my next choice. Never been to a place that I would not do business with.

Best

The Outpost. - Reasons should be simple enough.

Hero-Gear - Joe and Dan are great and willing to help. I've learned alot from both of them.

Worst.

On-Target. - Limited selection, they ignore me every time I'm in there, pricks behind the counter.