Favorite & Least Favorite Gun Shops in Middle Tn.

Guest hickok

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Nashville Sporting Arms? Is that the one by the liquor store on Charlotte, maybe used to be Gun Mart II?

If that's the same one that is hands down the absolute worst so-called gun shop I've ever been to! Very limited selection, high prices, and the worst personality/customer service I've personally ever seen.

Guest eyebedam
BEST - G&L, Goodletsville, The Nameless Shop, GFA, and Bellshires are all great here in Nashville.

WORST - Gun City, Uselelton (although the mounts are awesome)

Gun City seems like they are trying to turn things around a bit. I used to think the same thing. If you havent been by in the last 6 months or so you should stop by. There are no where near the tops of the best list but there not on the bottom anymore either.

What is Nashville Sporting Arms? Is that the one by the liquor store on Charlotte, maybe used to be Gun Mart II?

If that's the same one that is hands down the absolute worst so-called gun shop I've ever been to! Very limited selection, high prices, and the worst personality/customer service I've personally ever seen.

Yeah, that's the one. I think they still have the Gun Mart II sign up on the main signage for the shopping center.

Nashville Sporting Arms WAS located across from Wal-Mart further down Charlotte several years ago, but after a robbery (while they were closed) they moved to the present location. I actually bought a HD shotgun from them about 7 years ago when they were at the old location, and at that time they had decent prices, good selection, and actually pretty decent customer service/attitude. I don't know if the owner is just jaded from the break in or what ;)

Guest hickok

Glad to know it's not just me. I promise that I've never stepped on their cat or anything! I'm very laid back, I don't become a loud-mouthed "gun store commando" or a know-it-all when I step into a gun shop, and I'm very polite and courteous. I don't snap guns unless I'm about to buy something, and even then I ask first.

Oh well, thankfully, there are shops who seem glad you came in to do business with them. The Darwin principle eventually takes care of the others.

Hickok

Glad to know it's not just me. I promise that I've never stepped on their cat or anything! I'm very laid back, I don't become a loud-mouthed "gun store commando" or a know-it-all when I step into a gun shop, and I'm very polite and courteous. I don't snap guns unless I'm about to buy something, and even then I ask first.

Oh well, thankfully, there are shops who seem glad you came in to do business with them. The Darwin principle eventually takes care of the others.

Hickok

Yeah, I've been hoping the Darwin principal would take care of that one. Seems to be taking a long time though. And that's mostly all I've seen in there: know-it-alls and gun shop commandos.

Forgot to mention the good ones: Tennessee Gun Country on Ft Campbell Blvd, Clarksville. Run by folks who know what they're doing. Mostly a good attitude too. My absolute favorite though is Jerry Zeigner of Dover. Jerry's a Dover PD officer (one of the good ones) and runs a very small shop at home. His service has always been outstanding and I've seen very few times I could find anyone who beat his price. Very friendly and very knowledgeable. Goes by Hill Top Gun Shop.

Guest tlondon
In Clarksville Tennessee

Tennessee Gun Country

Retired and active military run it, pretty good selection, good people and good deals, especially for LEO's and Military (active/retired).

1525-C Ft. Campbell Blvd.

Clarksville, TN 37042 931-552-2118

In Springfield Tennessee

Second Amendment Gun Shop

Good people, smaller selection, inexpensive HCP class, multi purpose inside range.

903 South Main Street

Springfield, TN 37172 615-384-5255

CLarksville Tennessee

Grandpa's

Too expensive, no trading, not the best people in my opinion, good selection.

+1 on Tennessee Gun Country. They have taken my money several times (:rolleyes:) from handguns to ammo to other supplies. My first visit I did not like the guys behind the counter b/c it felt like they did not have time for someone just looking. but the next visit and each one since has been good.

I've found that I like to visit several different ones...with the way things have been lately, sellouts have been common...I like Guns & Leather in Green Briar, Rob at 2nd Amendment Gun Shop in Springfield, Phillip at Goodlettsville Gun Shop has been good as well as helpful and have recently been impressed with the owner and employees at Guns for America near 100 Oaks. They recently gave me absolutely no hassle on a returned holster i bought without trying my gun it in first. I will definitely buy from them again.Also found a magazine I had searched for everywhere, found in stock at Gun City on Murfreesboro Rd. Just proves what Im saying...unless you want to special order, you can usually find what you want if you shop around. Also liked my first visit to The Outpost Armory near Murfreesboro.

Guest nashnoob

Best: G&L When I went shopping for my first gun, the staff there showed me numerous handguns, let me try all of them and instructed me and my wife how to shoot a gun at the range below (first time for both of us). Have been back there numerous times to shoot and buy more guns and will continue to be a repeat customer. Great service, large inventory and friendly staff, can't ask for more.

Worst: ON Target - was treated like I was a nuisance

Guest JavaGuy
Worst. East-side biggest prick I've ever talked to.

I've got to disagree with you. No doubt that both sides of this on-going pissing contest have been a bit prickly with each other, BUT Bill (aka Rabbi) has treated me well. We've had several conversations in his shop and discussed everything from WWII history to firearms. I found him well-spoken and willing to defend his positions without resorting to name-calling.

As for his being a prick, well.. roughly a week and a half ago, I asked him to order 4 sand-resistant magazines for the Beretta 92/M9.

As some of you may have seen from my post about looking for advice on water filters, I have a daughter currently serving in Iraq. Through this forum and others, I had learned that the issue magazines for the M9 were having jamming problems due to the ever-present sand in Iraq. In one of her phone calls home, I asked about the magazines and she said, "Yeah, these magazines are pretty much crap." So I called Bill, explained the situation to him and ordered 4 magazines.

Last week, I received word that the mags (4 magazines) were in and went down to pick them up. When I tried to pay Bill for the magazines, he asked me to remind him why I was buying them... and refused payment saying, "You're contributing a daughter.. I'm just contributing some magazines." In my world, that guy is not a prick. Your mileage may vary, but he's going to get my business every time that two things coincide... his having something I want to buy and my having the money to pay for it.

Now, I'm not advertising his wares... I'm relating my own personal experience. If you decide to ban me or give me a "vacation" for doing so, well.. have at it. He's been straight with me.

Oh, Guns and Leather... great selection and friendly folks every time I've been there.

Goodlettsville Gun Shop.. the one time I went in, I was asked what they could help me with... but the counter guy barely took his attention from the group chat going on in the back of the store with the regulars. I've been meaning to go back...

BEST: Eastside Gun Shop, Hero Gear and the Reloaders Bench (for supplies). A honrable mention for Craigs Firearms for LEO/Military,the Outpost Armory and Bellshire.

WORST: Gun City, Uselton's and Gun Mart II

I need to make a trip to Greenbriar to Guns and Leather.

Guest Irish_Red

Best= Eastside Gun Shop, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Hero Gear

Worst= Franklin (Gun Shop " very rude") (Academy I find Tim always acts like it is a pain in his butt to help ya) I have bought guns from both but will never again!

I've got to disagree with you. No doubt that both sides of this on-going pissing contest have been a bit prickly with each other, BUT Bill (aka Rabbi) has treated me well. We've had several conversations in his shop and discussed everything from WWII history to firearms. I found him well-spoken and willing to defend his positions without resorting to name-calling.

As for his being a prick, well.. roughly a week and a half ago, I asked him to order 4 sand-resistant magazines for the Beretta 92/M9.

As some of you may have seen from my post about looking for advice on water filters, I have a daughter currently serving in Iraq. Through this forum and others, I had learned that the issue magazines for the M9 were having jamming problems due to the ever-present sand in Iraq. In one of her phone calls home, I asked about the magazines and she said, "Yeah, these magazines are pretty much crap." So I called Bill, explained the situation to him and ordered 4 magazines.

Last week, I received word that the mags (4 magazines) were in and went down to pick them up. When I tried to pay Bill for the magazines, he asked me to remind him why I was buying them... and refused payment saying, "You're contributing a daughter.. I'm just contributing some magazines." In my world, that guy is not a prick. Your mileage may vary, but he's going to get my business every time that two things coincide... his having something I want to buy and my having the money to pay for it.

Now, I'm not advertising his wares... I'm relating my own personal experience. If you decide to ban me or give me a "vacation" for doing so, well.. have at it. He's been straight with me.

Oh, Guns and Leather... great selection and friendly folks every time I've been there.

Goodlettsville Gun Shop.. the one time I went in, I was asked what they could help me with... but the counter guy barely took his attention from the group chat going on in the back of the store with the regulars. I've been meaning to go back...

Where is East Side located?

Agree with you about Eastside. Bill is a standup guy.

I hope they turn Gun City around.

No body mentioned ASP in Joelton. Decent folks with OK selection prices. One that is definately on my gunshop circuit.

Yes, Phil Mitchell at Bellshire is a good guy to deal with.

I found him well-spoken and willing to defend his positions without resorting to name-calling.

When I tried to pay Bill for the magazines, he asked me to remind him why I was buying them... and refused payment saying, "You're contributing a daughter.. I'm just contributing some magazines." In my world, that guy is not a prick. Your mileage may vary, but he's going to get my business every time that tw

I think it's alot easier to get away with talking smack on the internet.

If he really did that, that's pretty cool of him. I still think the guy is a complete and utter tool. That is my personal experience with him here.

I wish your daughter the best and hope she makes it home safe. :up:

Guest JavaGuy
If he really did that, that's pretty cool of him. I still think the guy is a complete and utter tool. That is my personal experience with him here.

I wish your daughter the best and hope she makes it home safe. :clap:

Thanks for your concern. And yes, he really and truly did exactly what I said. I didn't request special treatment nor am I lying about it to make him look good. I told him what I wanted (sand-resistant) and why (daughter in Iraq) because I wanted to make sure I got the right thing. Beyond that, it was his decision to provide those mags as a gift, a generous gift, to her.

I sincerely hope that she never has to fire that pistol or her rifle anywhere other than at the range, but whether she's at the range or on the street, I want it to feed rounds when the slide cycles. Every single time...

For that matter, I would be quite happy for her to hand those magazines off to someone else in-theater when she comes home. Grin.. of course, I'd also be quite happy for her to bring them home, load them up and shoot them out of my Beretta 92 as well.

Your experience... well, I understand. I've met a number of people over the years whom I have really liked only to have another friend ask why I fool with that so-and-so... And vice versa. Sometimes, I don't like someone and everyone else just loves him or her. It's human nature. You're perfectly free to not care for Bill; I don't think the less of you for it. However, as I said previously, he's been a stand-up guy with me.

Your experience... well, I understand. I've met a number of people over the years whom I have really liked only to have another friend ask why I fool with that so-and-so... And vice versa. Sometimes, I don't like someone and everyone else just loves him or her. It's human nature. You're perfectly free to not care for Bill; I don't think the less of you for it. However, as I said previously, he's been a stand-up guy with me.

I think it's always that way to a degree. Here's hoping your daughter never has to use those mags in the sandbox. :clap:

Guest hickok

I started this thread, and I think a thread like this should probably be restarted about once a month. Maybe it will boost the level of service at shops around the area, demonstrating to shop owners that, yes, they ARE in the retail business and need to at least pretend to have a "customer service approach" to the business. They need to at least pretend to be glad customers walk through the door.

That said, perhaps it would be better if we didn't attack folks by name to the extent it's developed. Surely, if the shop continually gets hammered for poor customer service, that's enough, especially if shop owners are directed to these threads somehow. Just my .02 worth.

Also, there ARE people who always seem to get bad service wherever they go: restaurants always give them bad service, they constantly have billing problems with every utility they use, every car repair shop they deal with rips them off, etc. You know the people I'm talking about.

Anybody can have one bad day; we don't want to crucify somebody for that. A "pattern" of bad days, however, observed by numbers of people, certainly deserves proper recognition! This is a great place to provide that free publicity!

I had a great "gun day" today. I finally made the pilgramage down to Winchester today and visited Hero Gear. Wow. A truely class act. If you're a fan of John Browning's 1911 pistol this is the place to go. More 1911s in one place than I have ever seen before. Some of them worth more than my car. (and no they wouldn't take my old beater in trade) Great selection of othe guns too, including some nicely priced used stock. Had a very nice converstaion with Dan there, who truely understands the value of good customer service. My only complaint is they don't issue Bibs at the door to keep you from drooling on the lovely firearms. :)

I also got to stop in at The Outpost on the way home. They also have a very nice selection of cool guns. The folks there were very friendly and polite, and they had a great selection of bulk ammo. I wound up taking home some 8mm Mauser as well as a selection of a few other calibers. I even stopped by the Restaurant for a bite. The food was just fine and the service cordial. All in all, another fine gun shop.

If you haven't had the opportunity to visit these two places I strongly suggest you make time. They are both well worth the trip.

TK47

Coal Creek Armory and Hero Gear are both great, but unfortunately around Chatt. there really isnt much, but VOW in Clev. is great and always has decent prices!

I had a free day yesterday and made it finally by Goodlettsville Gun shop and met

Phillip. He was great talking to him. He had a selection of AR Lowers and pistols in all price ranges. Got the deal on AR lowers in the Nashville area.

I then made my way to Guns and Leather in Greenbriar. It was packed and well

stocked. I got to use their really nice range. They had a great selection of ammo,

range ammo for pistol was 10.50 for 9mm and 13.00 for .40 SW. The gentleman who

signed me up for the range gave me tour and showed me how to use the equipment.

There pricing was good on what I looked at.