Tennessee Restaurant Carry Legislation Expected to be Heard, Wednesday April 8

• Administrator

Tennessee Restaurant Carry Legislation Expected to be Heard, Wednesday April 8

Please contact the Members of the Senate Judiciary Committee Today!

Senate Bill 1127, sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25), is expected to be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, April 8. SB 1127 would allow a person with a handgun carry permit to carry in restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages as long as that person is not consuming alcoholic beverages and the restaurant is not an age-restricted venue.

Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and ask them to pass a clean bill free of any arbitrary restrictions on where and when a permit holder may carry.

Its House companion, House Bill 962 , passed the House Floor on Monday, April 6 by a vote of 70 to 26. Unfortunately, HB 962, sponsored by State Representative Curry Todd (R-95) was amended with language that will prevent a Right-To-Carry permit holder from carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. NRA is working to get all restrictions, other than a prohibition on alcohol consumption, removed from this legislation.

Again, please contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and respectfully ask them to pass a clean bill free of any arbitrary restrictions on where and when a permit holder may carry. Contact information for Committee Officers and Members are listed below.

Senate Judiciary Committee Officers

State Senator Mae Beavers (R-17), Chair

Phone: (615) 741-2421

Email: sen.mae.beavers@capitol.tn.gov

State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25), Vice-Chair

Phone: (615) 741-4499

Email: sen.doug.jackson@capitol.tn.gov

State Senator Doug Overbey (R-8), Secretary

Phone: (615) 741-0981

Email: sen.doug.overbey@capitol.tn.gov

Senate Judiciary Committee Members

State Senator Diane Black (R-18)

Phone: (615) 741-1999

Email: sen.diane.black@capitol.tn.gov

State Senator Dewayne Bunch (R-9)

Phone: (615) 741-3730

Email: sen.dewayne.bunch@capitol.tn.gov

State Senator Mike Faulk (R-4)

Phone: (615) 741-2061

Email: sen.mike.faulk@capitol.tn.gov

State Senator Jim Kyle (D-28)

Phone: (615) 741-4167

Email: sen.jim.kyle@capitol.tn.gov

State Senator Beverly Marrero (D-30)

Phone: (615) 741-9128

Email: sen.beverly.marrero@capitol.tn.gov

State Senator Paul Stanley (R-31)

Phone: (615) 741-3036

Email: sen.paul.stanley@capitol.tn.gov

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

I'm PROUD to say that Sen. Jackson is my neighbor and I've known him since childhood. He's a great family man, an avid outdoorsman, and a friend to the armed citizen. His House counterpart, David Shepard is a good friend, and co-sponsored the House version. Yes...Dickson is well represented! Both democrats!!!

The good kind...

Guest tlondon

I want the bill passed without time restrictions also. But if that is what it takes to get it passed, then maybe we can fight to ammend it. at least it will be passed

I want the bill passed without time restrictions also. But if that is what it takes to get it passed, then maybe we can fight to ammend it. at least it will be passed

Then e-mail them and tell them so. That's what I just did. Remember these people work for us. I have found my reps to be easy to talk to and very responsive.

Also from the TFA:

Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.

Legislative Action Committee

First, the restaurant carry bill that has been moving in the House, HB0962 (Rep. Curry Todd) passed the full House on April 6 on a vote of 70 to 26. While its a step in the right direction, it still has restrictions including the 11:00 p.m. curfew as well as the "age restricted" restaurant limit which are both opposed by TFA. The bill is only starting to move in the Senate with Sen. Doug Jackson as its sponsor. Our hope now is to strip the curfew and age restrictions on the Senate bill and attempt to get the House to concur and/or force this issue to a conference committee.

Good news nonetheless because this is one issue we have been fighting since 1995 and it only happened after Jimmy Naifeh was finally displaced as Speaker of the House - coincidence or correlation one might ask.

Time for some fun with the news media! Call in opportunities on live television and an opportunity to show your support for TFA and gun owners in Tennessee.

Tuesday, April 7 8:00 a.m CST to 9:00 a.m..

Tennessee Gun Laws

John Harris/TN Firearms Association

Brian Malte/Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - MorningLine

Comcast (Nashville) Channel 50

Promo from the Station: "MorningLine with Nick Beres is the best way to start your day in Nashville! Monday through Thursday from 8:00-9:00am, Nick gets an in-depth look at what's going on in the news from the people who are in the news. Call in at 615 737-PLUS (7587) with your questions and comments!"

• Administrator

NO! If it passes with the curfew, Hell will freeze over before it's amended!!!! Just look at how long it has taken us to even get to the point of having a reasonable chance of carrying legally in an Applebees.

Guest db99wj

Sent a letter to Paul Stanley.....I.....want to rock and rolll alllll nightttt......and..Sorry, thats what I think when I hear his name!

Guest HexHead
NO! If it passes with the curfew, Hell will freeze over before it's amended!!!! Just look at how long it has taken us to even get to the point of having a reasonable chance of carrying legally in an Applebees.

Nonsense. It wasn't that long ago when you couldn't carry in a place that just sold alcohol like Mapco, the Tiger Mart or Kroger. We got that repealed when the naysayers were proven wrong.

Same can happen with the curfew. I don't care about drawing a line in the sand. Just pass the damn bill so I don't have to worry about my gun when I'm eating out.

Guest eyebedam

Although I don't like the curfew it's better than what we have now which is nothing. I'd be happy just to get the bill passed.

Guest db99wj

It passed to the point that it goes back to the house..right. They sent it to calendar to be voted again in the House. If they vote no on it, then it goes to a special comittiee.

I believe that is what happened. People at work keep talking to me, like my boss...I can't keep up.

Guest Seminole
Heard something on the radio about Bredesen possibly vetoing the bill?

It shouldn't be a problem if he does. As someone else pointed out, it takes just a simple majority in each house to override a veto by the governor. My guess is that he will simply not sign it, thereby letting it become law by default while not incurring the wrath of lawful gun owners. Either way, I think we win.

Guest JavaGuy
It passed to the point that it goes back to the house..right. They sent it to calendar to be voted again in the House. If they vote no on it, then it goes to a special comittiee.

I believe that is what happened. People at work keep talking to me, like my boss...I can't keep up.

Okay, guys.. from reading the actions on the bill, SB1127 was passed in the Senate's Judiciary Committee. From there, it will go to the Senate's Calendar Committee.

The Calendar Committee determines when bills go onto a floor calendar and thence to the Senate floor for debate and vote by the full Senate.

Tennessee General Assembly Legislation

When you look at that status page for a bill, here's how to read it..

First of all, the links on the bill numbers at the top go to the text of the bill. The names following the bill numbers are the sponsors of the bill.

The verbiage following the bill numbers and sponsor names is a brief summary of what the bill does. It lists the code subject the bill was written to address and also shows the code citation (from the Tennessee Code Annotated) that the bill is intended to amend, modify or extend.

Under that brief summary are three boxes, Bill Summary, Fiscal Note and Bill Votes. The summary is just that - a summary of what the bill does in its current form. The fiscal note shows an estimate of what the bill will cost the state government. The vote pages are a compilation of the votes both in committee and on the floor. Votes are audited before being published.

Finally, there are three tabs, Bill History, Amendments on Bill and Video Clips. Bill History shows what actions have been recorded against a bill. That reads from the bottom up with the newest action on top. Amendments will show up after they are filed with the respective clerk's office. I say that because amendments "filed" in committee may not have been filed with the clerk at that point. That's the case with the amendments that were "filed" in Senate Judiciary today.

Video Clips... Click on the bill number under this tab and it will take you to the spot in the video where the bill is being discussed.

Okay, class dismissed... grin.

Guest bkelm18
Okay, guys.. from reading the actions on the bill, SB1127 was passed in the Senate's Judiciary Committee. From there, it will go to the Senate's Calendar Committee.

The Calendar Committee determines when bills go onto a floor calendar and thence to the Senate floor for debate and vote by the full Senate.

Tennessee General Assembly Legislation

When you look at that status page for a bill, here's how to read it..

First of all, the links on the bill numbers at the top go to the text of the bill. The names following the bill numbers are the sponsors of the bill.

The verbiage following the bill numbers and sponsor names is a brief summary of what the bill does. It lists the code subject the bill was written to address and also shows the code citation (from the Tennessee Code Annotated) that the bill is intended to amend, modify or extend.

Under that brief summary are three boxes, Bill Summary, Fiscal Note and Bill Votes. The summary is just that - a summary of what the bill does in its current form. The fiscal note shows an estimate of what the bill will cost the state government. The vote pages are a compilation of the votes both in committee and on the floor. Votes are audited before being published.

Finally, there are three tabs, Bill History, Amendments on Bill and Video Clips. Bill History shows what actions have been recorded against a bill. That reads from the bottom up with the newest action on top. Amendments will show up after they are filed with the respective clerk's office. I say that because amendments "filed" in committee may not have been filed with the clerk at that point. That's the case with the amendments that were "filed" in Senate Judiciary today.

Video Clips... Click on the bill number under this tab and it will take you to the spot in the video where the bill is being discussed.

Okay, class dismissed... grin.

According to lots of people they removed the age restriction and curfew prior to it passing out of the SJC... if so it DOES go back to the house.

Guest JavaGuy
According to lots of people they removed the age restriction and curfew prior to it passing out of the SJC... if so it DOES go back to the house.

Short version - Yes, it will... but it has to be passed by the Senate first.

Longer version - Yes. Today's action was to put the bill in a form (by offering amendments which will be added to the bill on the Senate floor) that the Senate will discuss and vote on. The next step is for the bill to be placed onto a floor calendar for an upcoming Senate session. That is done in the Senate Calendar committee. When the bill is passed by the full Senate, if it is in a different form than as passed by the House, they will undoubtedly wind up in a conference committee to work out the differences.

Guest bkelm18

Anyway, I watched the video and for those wanting to know, they did amend it to get rid of the age restriction as well as the curfew.