Why you middle Tennessee types can't find ammo at Wallyworld

Guest Spuds

They are posted on Glocktalk as well...saw the post today and then saw the id and thought....hhhhmmmmmm....that sounds familiar! No business dealings with this person and nothing bad to say personally....just what I had read when cruising the forum...needless to say I shall pass....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spuds
At least he is not gouging the market with ridiculously high prices. If I needed what he has I would pay the premium, but I dont need it. I will shoot less and stock pile when needed or at least replenish what I shoot at my leisure.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I thought marking up a value pack of Win White box by almost $5 a box (cost $22 w/tax, he's selling for $26.70-something) was a bit excessive.

I know the Cool Springs Wal-Mart is limiting handgun ammo purchases to one box per caliber (at least that's what they've told me on three occasions in the last two months). The guy that's usually there said it was to stop these types of resellers. Obviously, not every Wal-Mart is doing it, though.

If he drives around and trolls the wal-marts to make his money then his time is limited anyhow....he is likely to be run over by some soccer mom in mini van thinking about the deal she just got on grapes.

If he drives around and trolls the wal-marts to make his money then his time is limited anyhow....he is likely to be run over by some soccer mom in mini van thinking about the deal she just got on grapes.

Guest starranger

Dont worry thanks to people like this Walmart is going to start limiting their Ammo sales to 2 per customer during this shortage.

Guest SUNTZU

:P

Ok, so I don't like someone like him contributing to a shortage, kinda like the gas run we had in the fall. But I can't really fault him for trying to make money. This is really what free market capitalism is all about. Being an entrepreneur. Find something that people want and find a way to make money off of it. The demand for ammo is currently higher than the supply, so he can make a premium selling it. I really don't see TOO much wrong here. Sure the business license or whatever, but the idea of him purchasing it and then selling it at a premium I have no problem with.

All that being said there is no way I would buy it from him...

wanna get his goat turn him in to the Tennessee Dept. of Revenue... if he's doing this often they will make him get a buisness license and he will have to pay the sales tax on what he sells.

Business license and sales tax are different matters.

Maybe he already has a TN tax ID number, who knows...he definitely should collect and remit sales tax, but only on the difference between what he paid and what he sells it for, since he already paid sales tax on the original purchase.

As far a city and/or county biz license, you don't need one till you've made $3000 profit.

If he's disabled as someone suggested or disabled vet, he might not need biz licenses at all.

- OS

If hes on SSI,or SS disability then hes only allowed so much "extra" income a month.

The only reason he would need a tax number is to buy from distributors as most require one for the discount.If he had that,then I highly doubt he would still be paying retail price from WM.

TDoR would have no reason to go after him,and even if someone reported him then there would be no proof asto how much he would owe.

I can say from my personal experience that they take your word for what you have bought,and sold when it comes to a small time guy.

The best way to eff him over would be contacting the SSA,and inform them that hes receiving additional income over his SS....and like I said,hes still allowed a certain amount so that would still probably just waste your time.

Now back to my last post in this thread.What is the price for WWB right now from WM?Is this Dbag making more then a few cents per box off of the 9?

Now back to my last post in this thread.What is the price for WWB right now from WM?Is this Dbag making more then a few cents per box off of the 9?

Assuming he is indeed buying 100 count boxes at WalMart:

WWB is 19.97 + 1.84 tax +.10 ammo fee = 21.91 x 10 = 219.10

So, selling at $265 he's making 45.90 per 1000.

So not much money unless he's really scored a BUNCH of it. I mean, like enough to have truly personally caused a Wally ammo shortage in all of middle TN.

- OS

Guest Spuds

As far a city and/or county biz license, you don't need one till you've made $3000 profit.

If he's disabled as someone suggested or disabled vet, he might not need biz licenses at all.

- OS

scratch profit, insert sales.

What exemption from business tax is there for disabled folk? Is that a local thing?

scratch profit, insert sales.

That's true for city/county biz tax purposes, wasn't thinking.

90% of my biz revenue through the years was out of state/educational, which was biz tax exempt (same as with sales tax). But you are correct, price paid for resale is not exempt from total gross sale figure.

And of course, you are to collect state sales tax on all in-state gross amounts.

What exemption from business tax is there for disabled folk? Is that a local thing?

Dunno, but it applies to local city/county under state law. Never looked into it, as I'm not disabled (some friends might disagree :D).

"Tennessee law requires businesses to have a business license issued by local government, except:

• professions that pay the Professional Privilege Tax: accountant, security agent/broker/dealer/investment advisor, attorney, audiologist, chiropractor, dentist, engineer, landscape architect, lobbyist, optometrist, pharmacist, physician, psychologist, real estate broker, speech pathologist, and veterinarian.
  • Manufacturers: The ruling is complex, but if a manufacturer sells at retail, a business license is required.
  • Services performed by religious, charitable, educational, and non-profit organizations are exempt. Receipts from sales of food, beverages or other tangible personal property sold by non-profits are subject to business tax.
  • Soft drink bottlers, gas, electric and water companies, movie theaters and vending machine operators.
  • Operators of camps and trailer parks where only real property is rented.
  • Certain businesses owned by the disabled: some blind persons and disabled veterans.
  • Other: Newspaper route carriers, farmers selling directly, and businesses with annual sales under $3,000."

- OS

Maybe he already has a TN tax ID number, who knows...

He owned a business a few years ago. In Clarksville I believe. He may still have a tax ID. Not sure how those things work.

With the recent hoarding of ammunition I have made some observations and formed some personal opinions.

1. The claim for many is that the hoarding is to prepare for a gun and ammo grab by the Administration that will limit self defense ammo.

Why is .22 Lr and .410 shotgun ammo being hoarded? It isn’t defense ammo by a long shot.

2. Claim is that ammo is for the “home defense” stockpile of individuals.

Why is it already showing up for jacked up prices on the internet and at gun shows?

Personal opinion: Ammo is being hoarded in anticipation of a market shortage (already here) and a “windfall” profit by hoarders. I am a rimfire shooter and I am severely hampered in my abilities to acquire the small amount of ammo I need for practice unless I am willing to deal with unlicensed, unknown, “dealers’ out the backdoor. My second amendment rights are under more attack from NRA Card carrying fellow forum members than they are from the administration. The answer is usually that they have to protect themselves from “them other people” (many numerous designations of ”other” from political to racial.) Since they are removing my source of ammo and I am a law abiding retired service member and a member of the NRA, who the hell are the hoarders? They are beginning to sound more like Domestic Terrorists than Patriots to me.

Edited by wjh2657
Guest Spuds

"Tennessee law requires businesses to have a business license issued by local government, except:

• professions that pay the Professional Privilege Tax: accountant, security agent/broker/dealer/investment advisor, attorney, audiologist, chiropractor, dentist, engineer, landscape architect, lobbyist, optometrist, pharmacist, physician, psychologist, real estate broker, speech pathologist, and veterinarian.
  • Manufacturers: The ruling is complex, but if a manufacturer sells at retail, a business license is required.
  • Services performed by religious, charitable, educational, and non-profit organizations are exempt. Receipts from sales of food, beverages or other tangible personal property sold by non-profits are subject to business tax.
  • Soft drink bottlers, gas, electric and water companies, movie theaters and vending machine operators.
  • Operators of camps and trailer parks where only real property is rented.
  • Certain businesses owned by the disabled: some blind persons and disabled veterans.
  • Other: Newspaper route carriers, farmers selling directly, and businesses with annual sales under $3,000."

- OS

Bet the "Certain businesses ownd by the disabled" might be the vending and concession businesses run by the sight impaired in many state gummit buildings. Not sure, haven't run into that particular exemption.

Bottlers & utilities are exempt because they are subject to other gross receipt taxes. As are financial institutions.

Wait a sec--this is a gun forum--sorry! One might could cause the seller in question some grief with state & local taxing authorities, thought I imagine it would be minor and might even be reciprocal, given the seller's penchant for making mountains out of moehills.

With the recent hoarding of ammunition I have made some observations and formed some personal opinions.

1. The claim for many is that the hoarding is to prepare for a gun and ammo grab by the Administration that will limit self defense ammo.

Why is .22 Lr and .410 shotgun ammo being hoarded? It isn’t defense ammo by a long shot.

2. Claim is that ammo is for the “home defense†stockpile of individuals.

Why is it already showing up for jacked up prices on the internet and at gun shows?

Personal opinion: Ammo is being hoarded in anticipation of a market shortage (already here) and a “windfall†profit by hoarders. I am a rimfire shooter and I am severely hampered in my abilities to acquire the small amount of ammo I need for practice unless I am willing to deal with unlicensed, unknown, “dealers’ out the backdoor. My second amendment rights are under more attack from NRA Card carrying fellow forum members than they are from the administration. The answer is usually that they have to protect themselves from “them other people†(many numerous designations of â€other†from political to racial.) Since they are removing my source of ammo and I am a law abiding retired service member and a member of the NRA, who the hell are the hoarders? They are beginning to sound more like Domestic Terrorists than Patriots to me.

AMEN BROTHER! If the paranoid among us would "snap out of it", maybe mix in some actual fact with their steady diet of "Obama's coming for your guns and is outlawing ammo..." BS propaganda, there would be no ammo shortage!

...same kind of stupid BS had me driving all over mid TN to fill my damn tank not too long ago...

OHShoot, that info is out of date. Vending machines were changed over from gross recieprs rax to sales and use tax in 00-02, so all vending machine operators, whether blind or sighted, now pay tax. I collect and send to the state 9.75% of all sales vs. the previous 1% gross reciepts tax. Made no difference to me since that is collected from the purchaser and sent to the state, not out of my pocket.

Spuds, the part aboour an exemption for the blind is also a moot point as the TBE vendors and the State licensing Agency "Tennessee Business Enterprises" agreed in 2004 to ignore that exemption and start paying county andsd city business taxes to reduce the loaboloty of legal actions on a unfair business practices.

Not fl;aming, just clarifying as I am one of those blind venndors, and do pay ALL of my taxes. LOL

The difference between gas hoarders and ammo hoarders is that there was/is no fear that gasoline will be heavily taxed or even banned outright. Temporarily unavailable, possibly; more expensive, definitely, but not taxed astronomically or even never to be seen again, like what could happen to ammo. Many seemto forget that Clinton supported an outright ban on .32 ACP, .380, and 9mm because, according to him, they were the calibers most often used in crimes. For the record, I don't remember the last time I bought much ammo; most of my ammo resources go into reloading. If an individual profits from an opportunity in the free market, then more power to him--that's capitalism at its finest. Hopefully he has his tax ducks in a row.

Whatever the case, I can go to my local Bass Pro and get pallets of .22 or .410.