Anybody use TiteGroup?

Guest hickok

Guest hickok

I'm getting weary of trying to find the AA#7 that I've used for about 15 years for 9mm and 10mm. I ran across a quantity of Hogdon TiteGroup today. Looks similar to Unique, and I think the charges are even similar.

Anybody have anything good to say about it? I'm especially interested in whether it meters consistently and how much residue it leaves. For revolvers I don't fret much over dirty powder, but I do like fairly clean-burning powder in my glocks.

I really like AA # 7, as it's small-grain characteristics cause it to meter in an incredibly accurate manner. Burns cleanly, too. Would I be happy with the TiteGroup?

I'm always reluctant to change powder. I actually don't without good reason. Is the fact that TiteGroup is available not a good sign?

Thanks,

Hickok

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Titegroup is a pretty popular powder, but, I've never used it. It is much quicker than AA#7 and is probably best used in .38 and .45 for plinking loads. If you use and like #7 a closer choice might be AA#5. Or pick out something close to #7's speed.

Powder Burn Rates

If I had your problem, I'd look at herco. I use it mostly for shotshell...but I also use it for .45acp when the #5 runs out (i load .45 up pretty good). Its a good do-it-all handgun powder that is very old and it used to be extremely cheap. Drawbacks to herco:

1. Won't meter as good as the newer accurate powders.

2. Its dirty. If its dirty enough to turn you off, I dunno. Have to try it.

Herco powder ? - Cast Boolits

I use it in 125 LRN 9's. Burns a little hot and leads the bbl just a bit more but nothing to fret about. Meters well in Dillon SDB also. I actually like it better than straight Clays.

DaG

Titegroup is a very good powder. It measures very well and goes a long way. It is a fairly hot powder that I personally wouldn't use with lead but it works great for plated and jacketed bullets. I use it for loading 165gr .40s and 124gr 9mm. It works well for both full power and reduced loads. It burns clean and isn't overly flashy or loud. It has quickly become my favorite powder.

Titegroup is a very good powder. It measures very well and goes a long way. It is a fairly hot powder that I personally wouldn't use with lead but it works great for plated and jacketed bullets. I use it for loading 165gr .40s and 124gr 9mm. It works well for both full power and reduced loads. It burns clean and isn't overly flashy or loud. It has quickly become my favorite powder.

+1 It's all I use in .40 and 9mm. It's very smokey behind lead though.

Guest tlondon

I use it for my 38spl and 9mm and have not had a problem with it. I like it cause its rated for all the calibers I reload or are planning to reload and it seems to use less powder than most others per charge

Guest Crunchman

I use Titegroup behind 230 gr. Rainier plated hardball. I'd have to go to the shop and look up the exact load (too lazy) but it's my most accurate load in all of my 5 inch barreled 1911's.

Wow. A Glock owner leery of Titegroup. That's like a fish being wary of water. :biglol:

In the IPDA National Championship for the past two years running, about 70% of us that shoot Glocks were using an FMJ bullet, and Titegroup.

I've personally moved on to Solo1000 for competition loads (as it's slightly softer shooting than TG for the same power factor, but can be used under lead or moly without smoking like a freight train).

Titegroup is a wonderful powder for FMJs in Glocks, and meters like a dream in a Dillon powder measure (I run a 650). 3.2gr under a 147, 3.8gr under a 124, and 4.1 gr under a 115 produce a 130PF load when shot through a Glock 34. Loading a 115gr FMJ over 4.3-4.5 grains Titegroup will get you a WWBish load that is noticeably cleaner that WWB is. Titegroup is a pretty clean powder.

Guest hickok

Sounds like TightGroup would work just fine for me; however, I've experienced success in both competition and on my range with AA # 7, and I like the bulk of it. Guess I'll stick with it, especially since I just found 16 pounds of it I will pick up in two days.

I set a different Dillon powder measure for each load I use, so I might try some TightGroup for the 124 gr. bullets I load for my son. Just for kicks and something different.

Arguing powders is about like the way people argue about motor oil. In my opinion, as long as a powder is not too awfully dirty and measures reliably, the accuracy issue remains with the operator, at least with a handgun fired off hand. :-)

I get good accuracy with black powder in my Colt pistols. I'm thinking about trying FFFG in my G21. Wouldn't that be a hoot! Definitely a possible YouTube event. :-)

Guest hickok

I loaded some 147 gr. 9mm rounds with TiteGroup this afternoon. Problem is, the max load listed in the company data is 3.6 grains, I believe. This load was noticeably weaker than the max load in the AA data (6.5 grs. of #7).

I like my 6.5 grains of AA #7 much better. I didn't chronograph, but it seemed to take 3.9-4 grains of TiteGroup to equal the 6.5 grains of #7. I got it to where I could not tell any difference. Problem is, the AA load is listed as their max load, and the TiteGroup load is over their listed max load.

Another reason to stay with AA, I suppose. The TiteGroup does meter well in the Dillon measure and seems just fine; I'm just not comfortable loading over what they company lists as max load.

titegroup has a 38% nitro content, makes it hot and will pressure spike very quickly with a over charge. I use it in my 125 gr. JHP in 9mm, 3.7grs and 180gr FMJ in .40, 4.6 grs. I have has better results with WSF with the 147gr 9mm bullet.The 2.8 grs. of titegroup required for min. power factor on the 147gr 9mm makes the slide lazy. Titegroup is close to AA#2 on burn rate charts.

Deerslayer;

Old stock, the new batch of titegroup needs 3.0 to make PF. I also had to increase the charge on my .40 to keep them in major, up to 4.7grs. I have had up to 100fps difference between guns on the same batch of ammo.

I took some white box ammo that would only run at 122 PF in a Sig, Run at 126PF in my G-34. What works for me may not work for others.

I believe that that 2.8 load was with moly coated bullets, FMJ would need more powder.