Non profit Trading Post question

Not sure who to direct this too. @TGO David@TGO Staff or another moderator that has authority to answer some questions? 

Trying to gather information for a non-profit I work with. They have some donated firearms they would like to sell. I had some specific questions to see if that is something this would be an appropriate avenue to post them. Please DM me and I would be willing to discuss specifics. Thanks!

I would be more worried about the feds looking at yall as a party trying to make money selling firearms and not having a FFL. FJB has put things into effect that might get yall caught up in the poo. Do yall have a lawyer on staff?

• Like 1

I think Red333 hit it on the head twice. A business that sells firearms needs and FFL, and your non-profit needs to speak to an attorney. It would have been so much better if your donor had sold the arms himself and donated the money.

Your best option might be to sell or consign the firearms at a local gun shop.

Edited by Darrell
  • Administrator

Sorry... I have been covered up with things outside of TGO lately.  What the other guys have said here speaks to my own concerns about this.  While TGO wouldn't necessarily be at fault if you were to do something that fell on the wrong side of the law, I would still be hesitant to allow it.

• Like 1

A non profit can sell a firearm. A non profit I am a member of has done it many times. The key is to let a FFL handle the sale.  We will show the firearm and make a deal for the cost. Of the gun and receive the payment.  We then take the firearms to the ffl and the person buying the gun has to pick up the firearm at the ffl. They have to do a background check to receive the firearm. 

the first thing you need to do is talk to a ffl. Most will do them for a non profit for a discounted rate or for free. 

@spurge

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 6
  • Administrator
On 1/28/2024 at 9:33 PM, spurge said:

No worries. Definitely don’t want to do anything that would cause concern. We have an FFL that is going to handle transfers. I appreciate the input. 

After reading what Kahr Man had to say about using an FFL, if that is the route you are going and it is expressly stated within the Trading Post sale and includes the name of the FFL that is doing the transfer, I don't really have a problem with it.

• Like 2