S&W 380 Bodyguard?

jeff43

I had one of the original ones with a different brand laser.  It kept going dead.  Ended up sending it back to S&W, they serviced and returned it but it still kept happening.  I guess I was accidentally depressing the switch when it was in my pocket holster somehow.  When they offered to replace the stock laser with a Crimson Trace, I opted to do that, but the problem persisted, LOL. I ended up selling it  and getting a non-laser Ruger LCP Max, which I now sometimes carry as a backup or to places I don’t feel like I can get away with my bigger gun.  But the BG-380 itself seemed like a good gun.  Kinda snappy to shoot, LOL, but it reliably fired.

Edited by Defender
1 minute ago, Defender said:

I had one of the original ones with a different brand laser.  It kept going dead.  Ended up sending it back to S&W, they serviced and retired it but it still kept happening.  I guess I was accidentally depressing the switch when it wa sin my pocket holster somehow.  When they offered to replace the stock laser with a Crimson Trace, I opted to do that, but the problem persisted, LOL. I ended up selling it  and getting a non-laser Ruger LCP Max, which I now sometimes carry as a backup or to places I don’t fee like I can get away with my bigger gun.  But the BG-380 itself seemed like a gun gun.  Kisndansnappy to shoot, LOL, but reliably fired.

This one doesn’t have the laser.I have a Kel-Tec P3AT , which is snappy too. Just how it is with a small light 380.

• Like 1

The Crimson Trace feature is neat, but really it's a belly gun.  Works reliably.  I think a safety on this kind of handgun is overkill, but if you use a good holster you can leave the safety off. FWIW,  ball ammo is what I prefer in a .380 for max penetration.  

• Like 2

Not that I'm a huge .380 fan, but there is something to be said for a .380 on your person compared to that 9 or 45 that you left home cuz its kinda big to carry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Tom B said:

Not that I'm a huge .380 fan, but there is something to be said for a .380 on your person compared to that 9 or 45 that you left home cuz its kinda big to carry

Yeah just a good quick,Small pocket gun

• Like 1

I have a Ruger LCP and really love it's size and how it is easy to carry, but I read somewhere (I think it was Masaad Ayoob) that the 380's lack the speed to really open up hollow points and other defensive ammo so I just carry FMJ in mine. 

Now, that said, I understand some of the newer ammo's are touting that they will expand in this cartridge, but I don't know. 

• Like 2

Agreed on the above comment on the safety - I found that mine snapped to "safe" on multiple occasions in my pocket. I always (or at least I thought) carried it unsafed (in a proper pocket holster). Other than that I enjoy it - it's not as snappy as you'd think, and I have gotten good life out of the laser battery. On really hot TN days, I've carried it at times where I probably wouldn't have carried anything else. Let us know if you like it!

Also: I found that in terms of comfort and conceal-ability (and the price is good) the below holster is my favorite. The little rubbery thing that causes it to stay in your pockets as you draw works surprisingly well.

https://comforttac.com/products/the-ultimate-pocket-holster-for-concealed-carry-subcompact

Edited by williamv
  • Like 1