WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?????

Ok TGO'ers, the fatboy is on another rant....went to the kville gun show, go there early, going to hit the reloaders table, they weren't there. So, like everyone else, I browsed. Noted not many people were buying much, few guns, some ammo, and a few odds/ends. But here's my rant: I was looking at one particular vender who had a few boxes of .380 ammo (which I understand is more scarce than any other), and it was priced at $45.00 for a box of 50. $45 DOLLARS FOR A BOX OF FIFTY!!!!! I stopped in my tracks and thanked the good Lord above I didn't shoot anything using .380 ammo. I also noticed most 9MM self defense ammo was going for normal prices I see everyday, some other stuff higher than normal.

BUT, how many of you complained when gas prices went thru the roof??? How many of you started crying "PRICE GOWGING" (I know that's not spelled right). So may question is simply this: What's the difference in the people ripping us off when gas is in short supply and the people ripping us off when ammo & other items are in short supply???? I saw where Pilot & several other retailers settled a law suit for raising their prices during this time, and all but one agreed to pay. I think its past time we tell these retailers and gun show vendors we are tired of their high prices. Stop supporting those who take advantage of a bad situtation!!! Remember who these vendors are and DON'T support them any longer.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am in sales and I believe in free enterprise and getting what the market will allow, etc, etc. BUT, there is a point where people will look at you and tell you to f*** off because your prices are too high. Come on folks, stop the bleeding...I'm done now.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nraforlife

Partial solution is to NOT buy anything from a vendor that is trying to screw you even IF something else he/she is selling is a good buy...

.380 is a pretty anemic round though it does beat a rock. Better off with a baby 9mm or 40.

$45 DOLLARS FOR A BOX OF FIFTY!!!!! I stopped in my tracks and thanked the good Lord above I didn't shoot anything using .380 ammo.

Hopefully any vendors that take unfair advantage of the situation will get what's coming to them.

What goes around comes around

Guest Traumaslave

And as hard as .380 is to find, that box was still sitting there at that price. He can ask all he wants but isn't going to sell.

At the Nashville Gun show on Saturday I also saw .380 for 69.95 a 100 round box. I walked away and started thinking later that I misread it or it mighta been a bigger box so I went back and the 2 boxes they has were still there. Yep, 70 bucks a box of 100. I agree that thats too high so I didnt buy. I hope no one else did. Then Dick's Sunday ad in thye Tennessean said they had a sale on .380. Went there and the guy told me that the ad runs whether they have the ammo or not! And they didnt. Sheesh.

Most people I know clamor for the free market until they can't afford to keep up, then it becomes 'price gouging' and 'hoarding'.

I for one am not most people and I bet you never cried price gouging when gas went up to $5/gal did ya. It's not a matter of keeping up, it is a matter of price gouging. personally, i can keep up, but i refuse to pay thru the nose for something i can do without.

Most people I know clamor for the free market until they can't afford to keep up, then it becomes 'price gouging' and 'hoarding'.

Actually it becomes price gouging when folks start charging more then whats a normal fair value with no increase in cost to support the price.

Guest SUNTZU

That much for a box of .380 is unreal. Its not made out of unobtainium. If you need it, wait for it. Two vendors on here have announced they have had shipments of .380 show up, CCA and Austin's TN Firearms. The prices aren't outrageous. They aren't Walmarts prices, but I don't expect that out of a gunstore that doesn't have the purchasing power of Walmart. Be glad you are educated on ammo prices. People seem to be testing the waters to see if they can get rich after spending all their paychecks on losing lottery tickets. I've seen people paying these prices at the last gunshow we went to at the Jacob's building. Write this down...avoid douchenozzles.

Actually it becomes price gouging when folks start charging more then whats a normal fair value with no increase in cost to support the price.

No, that's merely supply and demand - business 101.

If they are truly 'price gouging' they wouldn't sell very much. Obviously, if they are willing to price ammo that high they have buyers...

No, that's merely supply and demand - business 101.

If they are truly 'price gouging' they wouldn't sell very much. Obviously, if they are willing to price ammo that high they have buyers...

actually thats "fear and panic", obamanomics 101. and it is supply/demand combined with a little hynne poken thus resulting in price gouging.

I for one am not most people and I bet you never cried price gouging when gas went up to $5/gal did ya.

No, I didn't. I tried to find the best deals I could find, but I didn't complain about it.

personally, i can keep up, but i refuse to pay thru the nose for something i can do without.

Same here, I bought when it was (relative to now) far cheaper and stacked deep. That being said, the fact that we're seeing prices continue to climb tells us that folks are buying the stuff at these inflated prices - either the supply will increase, the demand will decrease, or the prices will stay high.

Again, it's not price-gouging - there's a limited supply of a commodity and an increased demand - it's only natural that prices would climb to new highs.

Also, my perspective is likely different as I own my own business which is service-based - what I charge is largely determined by perceived value. Determining 'fair market value' is always biased - depends on which side of the deal you're on...

Demand has caused the price gouging.

My previous statement is true,look it up :)

Also not sure where you're going with hoarding,but that is the correct definition of people who are buying up everything in sight to have for themselves.You can also look that up :D

Again, it's not price-gouging - there's a limited supply of a commodity and an increased demand - it's only natural that prices would climb to new highs.

Alright then,what is your definition of gouging? Where is the line?

I would also like to remind you that allot of this isn't coming from legitimate businesses,but from individuals.

Is it ok if you're a business? Or is it just the individuals that are at fault?

Demand has caused the price gouging.

My previous statement is true,look it up :)

I know the layman's definition, but the point is price gouging is selling above market value because people have to have it - gasoline, food, water, etc. in case of an emergency, for example. You don't 'price gouge' on non-necessary items - either the market supports your price increases or it doesn't.

You don't know what fair market value of something currently is until you have more data - prices may never drop again.

Also not sure where you're going with hoarding,but that is the correct definition of people who are buying up everything in sight to have for themselves.You can also look that up :D

Indeed - the point is people kick and scream for a free market then kick and scream when they see it's not utopia...

No, I didn't. I tried to find the best deals I could find, but I didn't complain about it.

Same here, I bought when it was (relative to now) far cheaper and stacked deep. That being said, the fact that we're seeing prices continue to climb tells us that folks are buying the stuff at these inflated prices - either the supply will increase, the demand will decrease, or the prices will stay high.

Also, my perspective is likely different as I own my own business which is service-based - what I charge is largely determined by perceived value. Determining 'fair market value' is always biased - depends on which side of the deal you're on...

this one could go on all night. Pilot Oil and several other retailers raised prices during the "shortage" caused by Ike. Now oddly enough, they have been charged with price gouging and ordered to pay damages. "perception" is what one see's to be true. I perceive a box of 9mm ammo to be worth around $14/BOX 50, an ammo retailer perceives that same box to worth more. who's right??? it a conceptual value - depending on who's view you are looking from. When that dealer decides his product is worth more than I perceive its worth, then I refuse to buy from that vendor and go elsewhere. I am on both sides of this arguement. I own a small business and also work for a business - I see it both ways. BUT, I know what would happen if I perceived my product to be worth more than it is and the back lash that would occur.

I will agree to most parts of your post, others I will not. I will simply state at some point, the perceived value becomes unreasonable and people will remember that over time.