870 Express.

K191145

My nefew just bought a Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrell and synthetic stock, of course he wants to dress it up with an 18" barrell, magizine extention, and adjustable stock so we are going to the show this weekend at the Expo Center. Any ideas on how much those extra's should cost? My replacement barrell 10+ years ago cost about $80, I found it at Gun City, now on the Cabela's site I see they are pricing them at $119. Stocks in the Sportsman Guide catalog range from $109 and up. Is that about average?

I remember removing the dimples on the mag tube on mine by a little sanding with a Dremal and flattening with pliars, it worked out fine without sanding a hole in the thin tube but anyone got any better ideas?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grout

As someone who has done this not once but twice (didn't learn the first time:p) forget it.Sell the gun and buy an 870 dressed up like that to begin with.I think they run about $300.By the time you figure in the price of the 870 plus all the add ons you will have nearly $500 in it,like I said,been there,done that.:rofl:

As someone who has done this not once but twice (didn't learn the first time:p) forget it.Sell the gun and buy an 870 dressed up like that to begin with.I think they run about $300.By the time you figure in the price of the 870 plus all the add ons you will have nearly $500 in it,like I said,been there,done that.B)

I had thought about that also, I think I did discuss with him a while back about buying one already set up for tactical. Now if he were a bird hunter it would make sense to have the long barrel set up to change out but I doubt he's interested in hunting. Now that he already bought it I'll help him set it up. I have a personal motivation too, he said when he buys an adjustable stock kit with forearm he will give me his old synthetic stock for nothing. B)

Well he didn't get his new add on's at the show but bought a Garand instead. He may buy them later but the Garand took all his cash.

I however bought an adjustable stock and already had an 18" barrel and mag extention. I didn't get the forearm but modified the original today and put it all back together.

2vmwv1h.jpg

Sweet!! Nice job too.

Thanks. I was happy how the forearm turned out, I sanded the varnish off and sprayed it with black matt enamal, also shortened it a little on both ends. I was woried about painting it but I have some spray acrylic sealer that works great. I guess there's no tactical benifit to painting the forearm, just like the way it looks and it's fun to dress up your guns.

Now it needs some sights of some sort, That will be a later project.

Edited by K191145
good lookin gun...reminds me of mine :-D

I checked out some shotgun sights online, some going for $180. (jeepers). I don't want anything too fancy, it's not a sniper weapon. Maybe I'll see if I can just find a bigger bead, I already wear coke bottle glasses and my eyes aren't getting any better.

Guest Grout

Looks good.IF I ever put another one together I am going to go with the HD model that already has the mag ext. and black stock/forend and take the barrel and have it tapped for Rem-chokes.I like a tight choke on a short barrel,that way bird shot makes as big a hole as buck and follow up shots are much quicker if needed.

.....I like a tight choke on a short barrel,that way bird shot makes as big a hole as buck and follow up shots are much quicker if needed.

Big, SHALLOW hole.

Buckshot leaves distinct DEEP holes.

Also, do your birdshot rounds have less powder charge in them than your buckshot rounds? That's the only reason the recoil would be less, eh?

- OS

Looks good.IF I ever put another one together I am going to go with the HD model that already has the mag ext. and black stock/forend and take the barrel and have it tapped for Rem-chokes.I like a tight choke on a short barrel,that way bird shot makes as big a hole as buck and follow up shots are much quicker if needed.

I'm goint to hunt for some low recoil buck loads soon, I remember seeing them advertized a while back but your right, the distance between the back of the living room and the front door is not much, a skeet load would be effective at that range.

I'm goint to hunt for some low recoil buck loads soon, I remember seeing them advertized a while back but your right, the distance between the back of the living room and the front door is not much, a skeet load would be effective at that range.

Better read up on that "fact".

Only effective for a gruesome looking wound. Maybe a now blind assailant.

Might or might not stop the bad guy, but now you've also left a witness and possibly litigant still in your life.

- OS

Better read up on that "fact".

Only effective for a gruesome looking wound. Maybe a now blind assailant.

Might or might not stop the bad guy, but now you've also left a witness and possibly litigant still in your life.

- OS

Well I still keep mine loaded with 00 buck, but targets on plywood I've shot before with bird shot loads at 10 or 12 feet still leave a pretty good size hole in the center with some shot spread out. I'll still keep buck shot loaded because I know they hold a better pattern at longer distances and keep their velocity.

Never never never rely on birdshot for self defense....buckshot or slugs only.

+1II recently shot some 55 gal drums at a friends place and it wouldn't even penetrate the plastic barrels. Im sure it would make a nasty woumb,but im not convinced it would do anything more!

Guest Grout
Big, SHALLOW hole.

Buckshot leaves distinct DEEP holes.

Also, do your birdshot rounds have less powder charge in them than your buckshot rounds? That's the only reason the recoil would be less, eh?

- OS

Still fatal...........Most shotgun deaths are from bird shot.Plastic drums are a lot tougher than flesh and bone.Ya'll do and believe what you want and I'll do what what I know and have seen in person.

Edited by Grout
Guest Grout
Good to know on the bird shot. Heard/saw that recommended on Outdoor Channel shows not long ago.

They were at Gunsite and did a comparison of Buck vs Birdshot.At home defense distance (point blank to 10 ft) there was no difference in performance.

Yeah. I think I have that episode recorded. I'll have to look for it again. I was under the impression that 12ga birdshot was more than adequate (at indoor distances anyway)... Guess it comes down to one's definition of adequate though :P

Its definitely better then a rusty stick,but Ill still stay with something thats proven without debate.

Plastic drums are a lot tougher than flesh and bone

Well flesh anyway.

But I do know that my 22s will penetrate the barrels,and we all know how well 22s do for stopping power.

Back to the topic at hand (Doom on you thread drifters :cheers:) Remington makes an 870 with black stock/forend,short barrel,extented tube that sells for around $300.Much cheaper than building one up,but when you build one however you can set it up how you like it.For example you can install a slug barel that has Rem-Chokes.Personally I like to use the modified choke with no.1 Buck.