Number of permits issued in Tennessee

Guest J.D.D

I am sure most of you have looked at the D.P.S web site and saw this but it looks like Tennessee is doing O.K in the number of permits issued since 1996.

In October of 1996, the Department of Safety began issuing handgun carry permits pursuant to Public Chapter 905. Previous to this change, handgun carry permits were issued by local sheriff's offices. Since October 1996, the Department of Safety has issued more than 165,000 handgun carry permits.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It definitely sounds like a good start! :up:

Yep, the more of us that start packing, the more clout we'll have in Nashville

to get some of these stupid restricions done away with. :lol:

• Administrator
That's approx 1-in-36 people in TN who have a TN HCP... Not bad. But, I wonder what percentage of permit-holders actually carry on a regular basis? I would be surprised if that number was even in the majority... honestly.

I'm afraid you're right about that. I will admit that I walked blindly through life until recently, thinking that I would only carry when I thought I might need it. Then it dawned on me that if I knew when I might need it, I'd be smart to avoid that time/place/situation in the first place.

The fact is, we never know when we might need to protect ourselves from the wolves. It could happen to any of us, at any time, at any place. The first rule of surviving a gun fight is: BRING A GUN. That's why I carry all the time now.

But I digress. Most folks with their permit probably very rarely carry. They've gone from being mere sheep to sheep with a false sense of security.

Guest ProguninTN

The more permit holders, the more clout in Nashville I suppose. However, I wonder how many are in West Tennessee ? If anybody is from Covington, any ideas why Anti Freedom Speaker Jimmy Naifeh continually gets elected ? Are there HCP holders or other pro 2A people voting against him ?

That's approx 1-in-36 people in TN who have a TN HCP... Not bad. But, I wonder what percentage of permit-holders actually carry on a regular basis? I would be surprised if that number was even in the majority... honestly.

Unfortunately, I cannot carry much of the time: my employment (public-school educator) and my primary community-service activity (Boy Scouts of America) prevent it.

Unfortunately, I cannot carry much of the time: my employment (public-school educator) and my primary community-service activity (Boy Scouts of America) prevent it.

You may not be able to carry it in the school but you can sure keep it in your car so you are at least protected to and from work.

This is TN law. You can look it up at LexisNexis.com

It is not an offense for a non-student adult to possess a firearm, if such firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by such adult, or by any other person acting with the expresses or implied consent of such adult, while such vehicle is on school property.
Guest MidTNShooter

The board of education, state and federal laws state you may carry a weapon in the vehicle IF you park the vehicle 1000 feet from school property. A parent MAY bring a weapon in their vehicle ONLY to drop off a child or PICK UP ONLY. Federal laws state you are not to park the vehicle on school property with a weapon inside. Now as a teacher, if you park your vehicle outside the alloted area, you can prevent another horrible school incident by running like -hell- to your vehicle and bring it back. I believe that there should be a designated defender for each school. The weapon locked up preventing any "students", etc from getting a hold of it. The DD would not be known by anyone except the DD and the board of education. There are manufacturers who have handgun systems that conceal the case under the seat and only the correct code would open it up. Put one of those in your vehicle and stay safe. If the board of ed. wants to search your vehicle (for the booze we drink to allow us to tolerate those heathen youths) they would not be able to find it. I too, am not allowed to carry my weapon at work. If discovered, I am fired on the spot. I have a dangerous (at times) position and I believe the old saying. Better judged by 12 than carried by 6. Stay Safe and keep the weapon pointed down range.

Take Care All !

MidTNShooter

The board of education, state and federal laws state you may carry a weapon in the vehicle IF you park the vehicle 1000 feet from school property. A parent MAY bring a weapon in their vehicle ONLY to drop off a child or PICK UP ONLY. Federal laws state you are not to park the vehicle on school property with a weapon inside.

Can you quote those laws, because I think some of your information is dated. The Gun Free School Zones act which is the main offender with the 1000' rules was declared unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court over 10 years ago.

As far as a parent being the only person to bring a gun on school grounds if they are dropping their kid off or not, that's not really the case because the law doesn't specifically say "parent dropping off student." It says "a non-student adult" meaning if I go to a high school to watch a basketball game, I can have my gun in my car as long as I don't handle the gun. See the quote below. Check the law yourself at www.lexisnexis.com

As far as Board of Education rules, I searched all over the internet and could not find that regulation anywhere.

I'm not call you wrong on all these, but unless a law or regulation posted on an internet message board is quoted from the books, I'm not going to believe it unless I see it myself.

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

Guest ProguninTN

Dropping off and Picking up students is mentioned in the follow excerpt of T.C.A.

39-17-1310.Affirmative defenses to carrying weapons on school property

4)A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove, utilize or allow to be removed or utilized any weapon from the vehicle.

On another note, The GFSZA of 1990 was struck down in 1995 in US v. Lopez. However, a new one was passed in 1996. More information is available here.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=62

I didn't know the Scouts were anti-gun.

They are not where marksmanship is concerned--still have the shooting merit badges and even have some great opportunities in Venturing. But leaders may not possess firearms while doing Scout activities unless they are directly involved in the aforementioned shooting activities under strict BSA rules.

Their program, their rules, and they can (and will) refund anyone's registration fee whenever they desire.

I too, am not allowed to carry my weapon at work. If discovered, I am fired on the spot. I have a dangerous (at times) position and I believe the old saying. Better judged by 12 than carried by 6. Stay Safe and keep the weapon pointed down range.

Take Care All !

MidTNShooter

I know how you feel about not being able to carry at work, my work has always had a no firearms on property rule but it was not really enforced, heck my supervisor has a carry permit and has even brought his deer rifle to work, but that all ended about a month and a half ago. A employee ( Driver )at our Birmingham, Al. plant was at the biggest account, ( they had this account for 17+ years and if they lost this account several people would be laid off), being unloaded, so he decides to "clean his gun" while sitting in the truck and the gun (.380) goes off and shoots his pinkie and the one next to it off, and the bullet goes out the window to who knows where. Needless to say they almost lost that account, and after that all the employees was told no firearms in company trucks or on property included personal vehicles, and if a firearm was found the employee would be fired. I think the company is just protecting themselves from a lawsuit against someone being careless, and hopefully all this will blow over.

Guest MidTNShooter

Hi Reef,

You are correct about the non-parent allowed to drop off/pickup. I looked up T.C.A. and read into it thoroughly. I was thinking about Columbine H.S. and the school after that cituation, remembering that a teacher had to run off property and get his pistol to stop any more killing. I can't recall the exact law (most likely that state) requiring a 1000 foot allotment, but as my memory (though vague at times) recalls that state in the footage. I stand down to you after trying to decipher the T.C.A. My only concern aboutthe Supreme Court in any regards, who has enough money to compete against the Feds. and really, who can make heads or tails in the wording when it comes to the councilor's/lawyer's ideas in what they read into it.

I was almost fearful when I got my CCW and seeing the sign about imprisonment up to six years. I was told that it okay to leave it in your vehicle. With one about to leave high school and one entering it, I'm not leaving my pistol with whomever before driving up to the school for ROTC practice.

Thank you Reef and contact me, I'd like to take you to my club. I like your indepth study practices. midtnshooter@yahoo.com

My son lives in Mt.Juliet also.

Take Care,

MTS

They are not where marksmanship is concerned--still have the shooting merit badges and even have some great opportunities in Venturing. But leaders may not possess firearms while doing Scout activities unless they are directly involved in the aforementioned shooting activities under strict BSA rules.

Their program, their rules, and they can (and will) refund anyone's registration fee whenever they desire.

That's a shame. I've always considered looking out for yourself to be an positive American value that should be encouraged.

Seems like it would be good to teach scouts that when they go on primitive camping trips, it's a good idea to take a gun along. Kids have done that here in America since before we were a country.

Is it OK to let them know that you normally pack but don't do so at scouting activities just because of the rules?

Is it OK to let them know that you normally pack but don't do so at scouting activities just because of the rules?

Yes, as far as I know, that would be allowed...but I normally don't let people know I carry, unless they are family members or have a "need to know." But discussing the concept of concealed carry is not a problem. It probably wouldn't come up often, however, in the course of the normal Scouting program.

Venturing, the 14-20 year-old coed high-adventure program which was once called Exploring (now Exploring is something different), has hunting-emphasis, blackpowder re-enacting-emphasis and firearms-emphasis programs which are officially sanctioned and run under the Guide to Safe Scouting guidelines (NRA-certified instructors, etc.). Law Enforcement Exploring (career exploration for 14-20 year-old coeds) includes training with law-enforcement weapons under the direction of the LEOs who are sponsoring the Explorer post.

I know about the reenacting part of Scouting. I was once a member of a Civil War reenacting group that is also a high school club and scout troop in Bristol. I was a committee member or something like that for the troop, but did reenacting with them too.

Glad they have someone like you in Scouting. It seems like every couple of months up here we have a Scout official or leader exposed as some crook or pervert. Hopefully they are doing more thorough background checks.

In that light, a carry permit is basically a good citizen award. I would think Scouting would welcome people who have been certified as stable enough to carry.

I normally don't let people know I carry, unless they are family members or have a "need to know."

I really don't worry about that. I don't go out of my way to display my handgun. I'm not a "cowboy" but I am used to open carry in my job and if I'm doing concealed carry and take my coat off, I don't sweat it. The secret is that you need to dress in a way that makes it plain that you are someone who is supposed to have a gun. I've never been questioned.

• 1 year later...
I am sure most of you have looked at the D.P.S web site and saw this but it looks like Tennessee is doing O.K in the number of permits issued since 1996.

In October of 1996, the Department of Safety began issuing handgun carry permits pursuant to Public Chapter 905. Previous to this change, handgun carry permits were issued by local sheriff's offices. Since October 1996, the Department of Safety has issued more than 165,000 handgun carry permits.

Hi everyone...first post...

Now, only 18 months later:

"Since October 1996, the Department of Safety has issued more than 339,000 handgun carry permits."

Around 5% of our total population now.

OS

Guest Brian@GunDepot

Good to hear.

I also heard on Paul Harvey this morning that CCW applicants have tripled the ratio in the past year. Good stuff...

As far as actually carrying after the permit, myself its like another cellphone. I actually lay it with my keys and cellphone and its like second nature now.

Guest 270win

How many permits were issued by the county sheriffs when TN was a 'may issue' state 1994 and before? What about 1994-1996 when the sheriffs had to follow 'shall issue'? I have read and heard about the bonding requirements before the state took over and having to qualify/list certian weapons you carried. It looked like quite a hassle. The state run program seems overall well run compared to what previously went on here.