Picking up my brass

I have just recently started shooting at indoor ranges. What is the accepted etiquette on picking up my brass? With several shooters so close together the empties are flying everywhere. I don't want to just leave my brass although it seems like everyone else leaves theirs. My last trip I was picking up the brass from my lane and it seemed like several people were looking at me odd. Do you pick up your brass? What about the ones that are outside your lane or in your lane but from another shooter?

Glenn

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't compleatly go out of my way,but my area is clean when i'm done. I don't care who watches I paid for it & I will reuse it.

I wouldn't sweat it, unless they ended up haveing you sign saying that you wouldn't pick it up. Then if they tried that sh** I would turn & walk then.

Edited by xd shooter

I dunno how you all shoot in them places, but that is beside the point.

It is your brass so pick it up. Not sure how you know what is yours and what is someone elses though. How much of it typically ends up in front of the firing line?

Last time I went to OnTarget, I was picking up mine as I always do and the guy beside me was picking up his. I know he saw me collecting mine, but he started picking mine up too and putting it in his box as I was shooting. Since it was just empty brass and I'm not reloading YET, I didn't say anything. I also sweep the lane when I leave and push all the 22s or strays out in the front of the lane.

Guest GoldIngot

Not that I reload but Range USA in Bartlett has a brass policy where yours is yours and theirs that you buy is still theirs. I don't know how this is enforced or how long they've had this policy.

Range USA Brass Policy

Ammunition is in short supply these days. In an effort to be

able to supply our local ammo reloading companies with

enough empty brass (which in turn makes it possible for us to

get ammunition and to keep our prices down) it is imperative

that you follow our brass policy. It is very simple!

If you bring the ammunition in, you are welcome to take it out.

If you purchase your ammunition here, the brass stays here.

:) If they tried that with me it would be the last time they saw my cash. If I payed for it then it is mine. I don't give a dang about their "Local reloading companies" Let them find brass just like we do. If I bought it then it is comming with me!

how do you know whose is whose in those places?

Do you have to look at the stamp on them, or can you tell by where they end up on the ground at?

I have only eve shot indoors one time and I did not care for it much. I did not worry about brass that day.

Guest 70below

Typically I just check the headstamp on the ammo I'm shooting, ask those in lanes near me if they reload, if they say yes I ask what brand they are shooting and pick up all that is around me, and give them what is not headstamped like mine. If they say they don't reload, I ask them if they mind if I have their brass.

At commercial ranges more often than not, they say I can have it, and are surprised I would want it. Many time they are new to shooting or have never reloaded. Alot of your weird looks you may get results from their confusion on why you are picking up "trash" instead of sweeping it up like everyone else.

I pick up mine, if the people around me are using the same caliber I ask them if they reload and will be picking up their brass.

:up:That's what I do, I can return home with 4 to 5 x's the amount I went with. When I reload, I mark the head of the cartridge with some purple paint (a small smear around the head stamp). When I get home, I count my rounds and brass to see how much of "MY" stuff I return with. Don't care as long as I return with the same number I left with. So if you are shooting on Tuesday night and find 9MM casings on the floor with a purple dot on it, "it's mine"....

Range USA Brass Policy

Thats a ridiculous policy. I would collect my brass regardless. What is the difference between buying ammo at Walmart or buying it at the range? NOTHING! It's yours after the cash changes hands. :screwy:

If I bring ammo to a range the brass is mine. That is if I can find it and some d.s. doesn't sweep it away or pick it up.

If I buy new ammo at the range, same rule applies.

If I bought reloads at the range, which I don't do anymore, they can have it.

Thats a ridiculous policy. I would collect my brass regardless. What is the difference between buying ammo at Walmart or buying it at the range? NOTHING! It's yours after the cash changes hands. :usa:

IF you can get it at Walmart. I agree it is a distasteful rule, howeve I can see their thinking. They could just not offer ammo for sale or offer it at market rate. I'm not seeing much ammo at WM in the Tri-cities. Of course I don't have a "crew" out searching either. Ammo is a problem.:screwy:

IF you can get it at Walmart. I agree it is a distasteful rule, howeve I can see their thinking. They could just not offer ammo for sale or offer it at market rate. I'm not seeing much ammo at WM in the Tri-cities. Of course I don't have a "crew" out searching either. Ammo is a problem.:cheers:

I have never been to this range and I am unfarmiliar with their policies, aside from whats posted on here. I believe the ammo you purchase is yours, regardless of the purchase location. I would think a person wouldn't want to buy the primers, powder, and bullets, while simply renting the brass case.

Since I reload, any ammo I purchase and shoot, I fully intend to reload using the brass. I would have to get one hell-of-a-deal to leave my brass for someone else. But even then I tend to always scavenge for brass when I get the chance. Lately the only ammo I have purchased is JHPs for my .40, everything else I shoot, I have loaded myself.

I tend to always scavenge for brass when I get the chance.

Me too. All I'm thinking is that if the range is trying to keep a source of ammo for it's clients, at a reasonable price, this setup might not be all bad. :cheers:

[quote name=

Range USA Brass Policy

Humm...maybe they aren't aware of my policy.

Ammunition is in short supply these days. In an effort to be able to continue to shoot at commercial ranges I reload my own ammunition (which in turn makes it possible to keep my costs down) it is imperative that I pick up my own brass. It is very simple!!! IF I BOUGHT IT, IT'S MINE!! MY PROPERTY LEAVES WITH ME, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO IT AFTER THE SALES TRANSACTION HAS BEEN COMPLETED.

Humm...maybe they aren't aware of my policy.

Ammunition is in short supply these days. In an effort to be able to continue to shoot at commercial ranges I reload my own ammunition (which in turn makes it possible to keep my costs down) it is imperative that I pick up my own brass. It is very simple!!! IF I BOUGHT IT, IT'S MINE!! MY PROPERTY LEAVES WITH ME, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO IT AFTER THE SALES TRANSACTION HAS BEEN COMPLETED.

Precisely!