dont worry, this isnt about what to put in them, but rather what to put the stuff in.

where is a good place to get just a standard reinforced duffel bag, say for the vehicle bag?

what would you suggest to use as a backpack for the main bug-out bag? preferrably something that can hold alot of stuff.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU
dont worry, this isnt about what to put in them, but rather what to put the stuff in.

where is a good place to get just a standard reinforced duffel bag, say for the vehicle bag?

what would you suggest to use as a backpack for the main bug-out bag? preferrably something that can hold alot of stuff.

For a bug out bag, I use a large Alice pack. I have a smaller backpack that I use as a vehicle bag. I don't like the duffel in case I have to move away from my truck, which realistically is why I keep that in there. My truck box, or your duffle, could hold stuff to camp out next to your vehicle. I prefer to keep my hands free.

I've been looking at a larger backpack to use as my BOB/vehicle bag, so that I don't have to keep a redundant pack in the truck. The truck bag is more of a get home bag, anyways. I would be screwed if I couldn't get home and had to get out of town with just my GHB.

Guest Rainmaker

I would also offer that if you car runs out of gas, tire explodes, or that sort of thing, you might want a cheap jansport backpack rolled up inside your massive supply bag as well. Those things get heavy and you don't really need all that much.

in my vehicle bag, a few of the things i will have that take up space and weigh a good bit are

2-ton floor jack

come-along winch

DC air compressor

2000watt ac/dc power inverter/converter good for 10amps of ac power

600amp automotive battery jump starter, jump start ANY battery maybe excluding a semi

and other basic survival items

thus i need something reinforced, not just a nylon bag, i can get that at walmart.

now i would consider two bags one for the normal survival things and one for the heavier things i mentioned, and get a backpack for the survival items and a duffel type for te large items

If you are talking about an actual bug-out bag that you would carry you need some sort of sturdy backpack. A military style ALICE pack or something like these below...

5.11 RUSH 72 is what my wife uses. RUSH 72 Backpack | Bags / Backpacks | 5.11 Tactical

I use the Maxpedition Falcon II.

FALCON-II™ BACKPACK - Backpacks - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)

Guest tadams

I don't own one yet, but have looked heavily at the Maxpedition stuff, as Punisher mentioned. However, the Fliegerduffel might be a better suggestion for you... or the Doppelduffel

The Maxpedition stuff ain't cheap, but boy, they are well thought out.

I really like the concept of the large side opening of the FD bag that Raoul linked for a cheaper, large comparment duffel. The layout of that one really makes sense.

Edited by tadams
added doppel link

i originally wasnt thinking of a backpack type if i were to be on foot for some reason. but i am now considering it. just want a large bag to have everything in one bag that i could possibly swap from vehicle to vehicle.

my actual bug out bag for when on foot is much more extensively packed and a separate issue, even though i havent gotten it yet...

the maxpedition duffels look interesting, any word on how tuff they are?

i originally wasnt thinking of a backpack type if i were to be on foot for some reason. but i am now considering it. just want a large bag to have everything in one bag that i could possibly swap from vehicle to vehicle.

my actual bug out bag for when on foot is much more extensively packed and a separate issue, even though i havent gotten it yet...

the maxpedition duffels look interesting, any word on how tuff they are?

On foot a backpack is really the only logical way to go. It leaves your hands free, it distributes the weight better, etc. A duffel will be unwieldy, will leave you leaning to one side, and cause alot more fatigue from using your arm and shoulder muscles bearing all that weight.

The Maxpedition stuff is TOUGH. I've put mine through some torture tests and it has held up extremely well. The 5.11 bags are good, but not near as durable. I'd say Maxpedition would hold up in combat and I have heard that it has.

Guest SUNTZU
If you are talking about an actual bug-out bag that you would carry you need some sort of sturdy backpack. A military style ALICE pack or something like these below...

5.11 RUSH 72 is what my wife uses. RUSH 72 Backpack | Bags / Backpacks | 5.11 Tactical

I use the Maxpedition Falcon II.

FALCON-II™ BACKPACK - Backpacks - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear)

How do you like the Falcon, Pun? How heavy is it when empty, roughly? Would you please give me a size comparison to say, a jansport school backpack, or an ALICE pack? I've been thinking of switching to this, but don't really want to spend the money on something that is a good idea, but too small. Thanks!

Guest tadams

On foot a backpack is really the only logical way to go. It leaves your hands free, it distributes the weight better, etc. A duffel will be unwieldy, will leave you leaning to one side, and cause alot more fatigue from using your arm and shoulder muscles bearing all that weight....

Thus the MaxPedition duffels - you can carry them 5 different ways. Center the load or lug it on one side to balance something else on the other.

The absence of a frame is both positive and negative - You might be able to squeeze it in a tighter space (behind a truck seat, etc) but you lack the rigidity of a frame and the ability (especially in an external frame) to pull that load off your back a little and keep friction and sweat to a minimal.

Get to a hiding spot with all your essentials? check

Hike the Appy trail? homey don't play that

Some civ contractors use these bags religiously and praise them for their long wear.

Guest tadams
How do you like the Falcon, Pun? How heavy is it when empty, roughly? Would you please give me a size comparison to say, a jansport school backpack, or an ALICE pack? ...

That's some good comparitive questions! :D

How do you like the Falcon, Pun? How heavy is it when empty, roughly? Would you please give me a size comparison to say, a jansport school backpack, or an ALICE pack? I've been thinking of switching to this, but don't really want to spend the money on something that is a good idea, but too small. Thanks!

Empty weight I'd say is maybe around 2 pounds? Just a rough estimate it could be a touch more.

It's bigger than your average school pack, but it's smaller than a military style ALICE.

If you get a Max backpack don't get the Pygmy FALCON. Get the full size FALCON II or one of the other bags. They are really good for BOB.

They also have a bag called a Merlin folding pack. It feels flimsy, but I have packed the HUGE main compartment full and all the little pockets and it has held. The only downside is the straps are thin school backpack style. It's mainly a good vehicle bag.

On foot a backpack is really the only logical way to go. It leaves your hands free, it distributes the weight better, etc. A duffel will be unwieldy, will leave you leaning to one side, and cause alot more fatigue from using your arm and shoulder muscles bearing all that weight.

what i meant was that i wasnt really looking for something that i could take on foot, just something to keep everything together in the vehicle, but now that you mention it, maybe it might be beneficial to have it transportable on foot, in addition to the main stuff

what i meant was that i wasnt really looking for something that i could take on foot, just something to keep everything together in the vehicle, but now that you mention it, maybe it might be beneficial to have it transportable on foot, in addition to the main stuff

That's kinda what I liked about the Merlin folding bag. I wouldn't want to carry it far, but it fits in the trunk easily and holds alot of crap. If I needed to carry it I could.

You should reread your sig. ;):lol: