mini-meet (aka Battle of the Bulged)

Mike357 and I ended up going through a couple hundred rounds of garand and carbine ammo today. Nutcase, Gunslinger, and several others ended up showing up at the same time. Just a couple pictures, but this one of Mike is priceless.

DSC03631.jpg

Mikey.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well crap! If it wasn't for work half the day I might just have been there with you guys. Looks like ya'll had a good time!

But I did put the one and only coat of BLO on a Garand stock this afternoon (after about 10 of pure tung oil) and broke the front sight loose and adjusted so it would be proper!

Did Mike.357 wear that steel army hat all day? :D

Edited by Garufa

Can't thank Mark enough for today.

Well really the thanks goes to Sue for putting up with our antics, she is a heck of a sport.

But i really owe Mark for my birthday present. The vintage steel pot M1 helmet. I don't think I can shoot the Garand without it anymore. It would feel like something was missing.

Was a perfect day for fighting the Battle of the Bulged. The best news is that our side won! We put a bunch of ammo through the Garands. Figured out the bang button problem in my HRA Garand, and stress tested it to make sure it was a go.

We took a little break when the weather got threatening, but ended up back at the range later on after accurizing my M1 carbine. Went from shooting groups the size of a paper plate to shooting baseball sized groups, with lots of hits in the bullseye.

Can't wait to get it back out and shoot it again.

Don't know how to rank the fun today as there was so much of it. But watching Lorraine shoot a mess of different stuff from off the deck was a hoot. As always we should have taken more pics. I am guessing we dirtied up near a dozen guns today.

Was nice to see Gunslinger and his posse (Tnmale and Nutcase)today too. Too bad you guys had to run off before the real fun began. Nutcase did you show your daughter the Rossi yet?

What a great day. Hopefully you will get back once or twice before shipping out and we can do it all over again.

PS: Yep John you really missed out. I know you would have loved the battle rifle shooting.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest SUNTZU

That's one checkpoint I sure as hell don't want to drive through.

DSC03631.jpg

Especially with Maniac Mike holding his two upgrades and his shaving kit on his head. :wave:

Mikey.jpg

Great to see you guys again, I wish we could have stayed longer but I had a couple things goin on with the girls, and had to make a run to Lowe's.

Yeah Mike, that Rossi will work great, thanks again Mark!

Sorry we missed Tnmale.

Guest 70below

By the way Mark, I didn't realize it was yours at the time, but I was admiring that laminated stock on the Garand at the last shoot, thats a very nice looking rifle. It the first time I've ever seen a laminated stock for a Garand. I've got a very similar laminated target stock on my Savage, colored almost identically.

Guest gunslinger707

It was great seing Mike,Mark and Sue again sorry we could'nt stay longer.Tnmale sorry we missed ya bud maybe next time.

Guest tnmale46
It was great seing Mike,Mark and Sue again sorry we could'nt stay longer.Tnmale sorry we missed ya bud maybe next time.

ya wish i could stayed a while longer but had some things to do. maybe i can make it to a shoot soon . looks like y'all had fun . BTW that was oldblue1981 and my daughter that was with me yesterday.

Edited by tnmale46
By the way Mark, I didn't realize it was yours at the time, but I was admiring that laminated stock on the Garand at the last shoot, thats a very nice looking rifle. It the first time I've ever seen a laminated stock for a Garand. I've got a very similar laminated target stock on my Savage, colored almost identically.

That HRA is my first CMP rifle, got it maybe 15 years ago. It had a pretty beat up stock (at that time, they weren't graded - you got what they sent and it was 1 per lifetime.). I had a marine armorer put it in that stock, and I don't know what magic he worked, but it shoots far better than I can take advantage of.

When I first took it to the range after he replaced the stock, I shot about a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. Really got the attention of the guy a few benches down, who couldn't do that with a brand new remington bolt gun with what appeared to be the hubble telescope mounted on it.

I'm certain there are more accurate rifles, but if I really want to hit what I'm aiming at, that is probably the one I'd grab. We've built a real good relationship over the years...:cool:

Guest 70below
That HRA is my first CMP rifle, got it maybe 15 years ago. It had a pretty beat up stock (at that time, they weren't graded - you got what they sent and it was 1 per lifetime.). I had a marine armorer put it in that stock, and I don't know what magic he worked, but it shoots far better than I can take advantage of.

When I first took it to the range after he replaced the stock, I shot about a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. Really got the attention of the guy a few benches down, who couldn't do that with a brand new remington bolt gun with what appeared to be the hubble telescope mounted on it.

I'm certain there are more accurate rifles, but if I really want to hit what I'm aiming at, that is probably the one I'd grab. We've built a real good relationship over the years...:P

Wow! Sounds like a heck of a shooter! Have you or anyone else on here heard of an old timer down in Alabama somewhere near the CMP South Store that goes by the name "Hook"?

I've heard rumors that he is a former sniper in WWII and extremely knowledgeable gunsmith when it comes to the Garands and M14's. A guy was telling me about him and that he worked magic on a Garand for a very reasonable prices. The story seemed believable as it was told, but I don't know the guy from adam, so who knows. Thought maybe someone may have heard of him if he's really that good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AmericanWorkMule
That's one checkpoint I sure as hell don't want to drive through.

Or try and get past that Tennessee Holler Sniper Nest

DSC03641.jpg

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I'd like to find out about that legend

Have you or anyone else on here heard of an old timer down in Alabama somewhere near the CMP South Store that goes by the name "Hook"?

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Did you guys ever read Sgt Fury comics as a kid? I'm just teasing because I didn't get to go, but Mike reminds me of one particular character in the squad . . . :)

300px-Sgt_Fury_12.jpg

Mikey.jpg

Guest Irish_Red

I think Mike looks just like the wrestler Sgt. Slaughter lol

Did you guys ever read Sgt Fury comics as a kid? I'm just teasing because I didn't get to go, but Mike reminds me of one particular character in the squad . . . :hat:

300px-Sgt_Fury_12.jpg

Guest Irish_Red
Sgt. Fury was my favorite comic book when I was a kid.

I guess I could do worse than be compared to Sgt. Slaughter too.

It was meant in in a good way. If you goggle a pic of Sgt. Slaughter damm you guys are twins.