Wolverine

I hope I'm not doubling another post, but has anyone but me seen X-men Origins yet? I thought it was a very good picture. My wife liked it too. She REALLY liked Taylor Kitch and Hugh Jackman also.:yum: I thought it had good fight seens as well as the special effects. I would say it is possibly my favorite X-men movie. Any thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from another board that sums up my feelings:

"Terrible. A complete waste of any potential that it had. The treatments of Deadpool and Emma Frost were unforgivable. Liev Schreiber did a good job with what he was given, and Hugh Jackman tried really, really hard to make it good, but...I'm sorry. No. Just...no."

I thought it was a good movie. I liked the other X-Men movies and this one just fit in.

I am not a comic book nerd, hell I don't think I have ever owned a comic book, but I love the movies.

I was a batman "mark" growing up.

But the Wolverine movie, I thought was a good film.

Guest mustangdave
I want to see it. The reviews say it stinks, but I'm a fan of the X men series.

IF reviews say it STINKS...it'll make $$$$$$$$$...critics are idiots most of the time

Guest Halfpint

Didn't follow the comic books growing up, but it had some departures from the "history" as I knew it. Still, a very good film and as long as you don't nit-pick every detail, it's accurate enough for most fans.

Still, a question I can't answer: Did anybody else wonder why, with all that super-high-dollar hardware, they went with a RUGER in one scene?!

Yeah, I'd watch it again, it's definitely on the "to get" list when it comes out on DVD.

Didn't follow the comic books growing up, but it had some departures from the "history" as I knew it. Still, a very good film and as long as you don't nit-pick every detail, it's accurate enough for most fans.

Still, a question I can't answer: Did anybody else wonder why, with all that super-high-dollar hardware, they went with a RUGER in one scene?!

Yeah, I'd watch it again, it's definitely on the "to get" list when it comes out on DVD.

I followed the Wolverine story and read the "Origins" graphic novel, which most of this was based on, and I still thought it was a good flick. Comic book people and book people have a really hard time letting things go and realizing that there are 2 different mediums. Film and literature.

This was a fun, enjoyable movie, period. Enjoy it for what it is.

I think they used a Ruger revolver, just for the simplicity of reloading and crafting the adamantium bullet and having something compact that Col. Stryker could carry and use.

I think Liev Schreiber stole the movie though. He was alot of fun to watch. The best part to me was the opening credits showing them going through all the wars.

" I heard your execution was carried out at 0900 this morning. How'd that go?"

"It tickled."

Guest Halfpint
The best part to me was the opening credits showing them going through all the wars.

" I heard your execution was carried out at 0900 this morning. How'd that go?"

"It tickled."

:biglol: When they went back to back, I immediately thought, "Army of Two!"

The credits/war scenes were some of my favorite parts.

Guest bkelm18

Liev Schreiber definitely was the best actor in the whole movie. He did a fantastic job as Sabretooth. The action sequences with him were awesome. Everyone else.... eh mediocre. The movie was entertaining, I don't feel like I wasted money on it, but it wasn't a great movie by far.

One of the best lines in the movie

That and I really enjoyed the back and forth between him and the old man. "Cover it up with that. Don't want ya giving the old lady a heart attack." LOL

:biglol: When they went back to back, I immediately thought, "Army of Two!"

The credits/war scenes were some of my favorite parts.

Glad I'm not the only one LOL

Liev Schreiber definitely was the best actor in the whole movie. He did a fantastic job as Sabretooth. The action sequences with him were awesome. Everyone else.... eh mediocre. The movie was entertaining, I don't feel like I wasted money on it, but it wasn't a great movie by far.

Liev is really an amazing actor. Not that Sabretooth/Victor Creed has a huge dramatic emotional range, but he made me forget it was an actor playing a part and that's what is important.

....Comic book people and book people have a really hard time letting things go and realizing that there are 2 different mediums. Film and literature.

Yeah. That's good advice. Sin City and 300 were really faithful to the comics, but there isn't a ton of backstory to be juggled with those. I have been waiting for a wolverine movie for oh,, about 20+yrs. Just going to try to enjoy it. Can't believe i haven't seen it yet :popcorn:

Guest LieutenantDan67

My wife wanted to go out and see a 'double-feature' Sunday, so we watched Star Trek first and Wolverine second.

Wolverine was fairly solid, but I thought his character was a little more deadly in the first two Xmen films myself. I sometimes feel that Hugh has 'tamed' Wolvie a little too much. I've always felt he should be a little grouchier and a little more sarcastic than he is.

But I do like Hugh's portrayal overall; I just would have liked more rage and intensity from him.

The changes to his origin story were okay, but I think seeing a bit more of Logan's rampage out of the Weapon X facility would have added some weight to things.

Deadpool was funny, but my wife found him annoying. lol

Overall the movie was pretty good, just too restrained. Let's 'unleash' Wolverine! 3/5 stars

Star Trek was 4/5 stars.

Yeah. That's good advice. Sin City and 300 were really faithful to the comics, but there isn't a ton of backstory to be juggled with those. I have been waiting for a wolverine movie for oh,, about 20+yrs. Just going to try to enjoy it. Can't believe i haven't seen it yet :popcorn:

Very true. You did have the history of 300, but the story is fairly simplistic. I'm with you on waiting forever for the Wolverine movie.

My wife wanted to go out and see a 'double-feature' Sunday, so we watched Star Trek first and Wolverine second.

Wolverine was fairly solid, but I thought his character was a little more deadly in the first two Xmen films myself. I sometimes feel that Hugh has 'tamed' Wolvie a little too much. I've always felt he should be a little grouchier and a little more sarcastic than he is.

But I do like Hugh's portrayal overall; I just would have liked more rage and intensity from him.

The changes to his origin story were okay, but I think seeing a bit more of Logan's rampage out of the Weapon X facility would have added some weight to things.

Deadpool was funny, but my wife found him annoying. lol

Overall the movie was pretty good, just too restrained. Let's 'unleash' Wolverine! 3/5 stars

Star Trek was 4/5 stars.

I feel you on the rage. Hugh Jackman had said he hated what Wolverine had become by the 3rd X-Men movie and wanted to get back to the "berserker rage" that defines the character.

I think why he still seemed "tame" in this one was because of the changes he goes through. I think why he is so unstable after Weapon X and the memory loss is because he only starts to remember the really bad things from his life and not knowing where he comes from and the fact that he doesn't fit in made him cold and angry later.

There was no need for him to be insane while he was with Silver Fox and so forth. I think it was also used to show the contrast of Victor (who LOVED killing) to James/Logan who is "The best at what I do and what I do ain't nice", but also had basic human emotion.

Guest LieutenantDan67

Good post, Punisher, as always.

Logan isn't necessarily ruled by his temper, but when he's in a fight or angered, his animal should come out a bit more. But I agree, he's certainly not a psychopath, and does not enjoy murder. But when he goes beserker, he should be 'blinded' by his rage. We needed to see a bit more of that. The only time in four movies I felt that REALLY happened was in X2 when the mansion was stormed and Wolverine really went after those guys! THAT was pretty cool.

Guess I'm looking for the perfect combination of Jackman's Wolverine (extra touch of depth and humanity) and Marvel's Wolverine, especially from the early 90's X-Men animated series.

On the animated series he was sarcastic and bitingly funny. He was only REALLY friendly with Beast, Morph, Jubilee and Jean and was abrasive with pretty much everyone else. Just edgier in general.

Your point is valid about pre-memory loss John/Logan being more self-aware and 'mature' in ways because he was pretty old, plus he had an actual background...was more 'grounded.' After the memory loss, he should revert back to more his grouchy self like we see at the beginning of the first Xmen film, on-edge, instinctual, defensive and not trusting people.

I thought movie was good. Not being into comic books I don't know the history of the characters, so that helps in making it "just a movie, and watching for the entertainment".

Now, was I the only one thinking "Well, there goes the rifling in that gun" when Striker fired the adamantium bullets into Wolverine?

Guest LieutenantDan67

Now, was I the only one thinking "Well, there goes the rifling in that gun" when Striker fired the adamantium bullets into Wolverine?

No, but I WAS thinking that the bullet really shouldn't have done anything at all. I know there's no skull penetration, but wouldn't the SAME metal on metal be a draw, with no penetration if it's that hard? Ah, well...I guess it was just supposed to be enough to ring his bell.

I should mention I'm also playing the 360 game based off the movie. It's rated 'M' and is a pretty darn fun slash fest, with some really cool execution moves and limbs flying....the kind of stuff you expect from those claws lol. :rolleyes:

Good post, Punisher, as always.

Logan isn't necessarily ruled by his temper, but when he's in a fight or angered, his animal should come out a bit more. But I agree, he's certainly not a psychopath, and does not enjoy murder. But when he goes beserker, he should be 'blinded' by his rage. We needed to see a bit more of that. The only time in four movies I felt that REALLY happened was in X2 when the mansion was stormed and Wolverine really went after those guys! THAT was pretty cool.

Guess I'm looking for the perfect combination of Jackman's Wolverine (extra touch of depth and humanity) and Marvel's Wolverine, especially from the early 90's X-Men animated series.

On the animated series he was sarcastic and bitingly funny. He was only REALLY friendly with Beast, Morph, Jubilee and Jean and was abrasive with pretty much everyone else. Just edgier in general.

Your point is valid about pre-memory loss John/Logan being more self-aware and 'mature' in ways because he was pretty old, plus he had an actual background...was more 'grounded.' After the memory loss, he should revert back to more his grouchy self like we see at the beginning of the first Xmen film, on-edge, instinctual, defensive and not trusting people.

Thank you sir, you as well. I agree the mansion scene in X2 was true Wolverine. I miss the old X-men animated series so badly. That was a great Saturday morning cartoon.

Guest LieutenantDan67
OMG! I WANT IT! You rock!

No problem :rolleyes:

You watched when you were a kid, and I enjoyed the show immensely back then in my young 20's. It was a well-done series. Looking forward to seeing it again with no commercials or waiting for next week! :D