Why would you want to carry in a CHURCH?

Guest Hyaloid

Guest Hyaloid

STORY LINK

3 Killed in Mo. Church Shooting

email_this_page_sm.gifEmail this Story Aug 12, 6:23 PM (ET)

NEOSHO, Mo. (AP) - A gunman opened fire in the sanctuary of a southwest Missouri church Sunday, killing three people and wounding several others, a city spokeswoman said.

About 25 to 50 people were briefly held hostage at the First Congregational Church until the gunman surrendered, Neosho spokeswoman Desiree Bridges said.

Fewer than 10 people were also shot and wounded, Bridges said.

The shooter was being held at the Newton County Jail, but police were not releasing any information about him.

Bridges said he was related to someone in the church, but declined to elaborate.

Bridges said the shooter had three firearms, but wouldn't say what type. The shooting followed the 1 p.m. service.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Churches are easy pickings... especially small, out of the way, rural churches. Armed robbers can pretty much clean the faithful out and make off with everyone's tithes and offerings. Unless a sheepdog happens to have blended in with the rest of the flock.

I'm really darn sure that I wouldn't want to be the guy who stole the Lord's 10% -- talk about karma. But it would make my day to read a story just once about how Gary Gang Banger tried to rob the First Church Of What's Happening Now and ended up with an impromptu visit with his Maker courtesy of an armed congregation.

That would make me smile. A lot. Really big. Kind like this. :)

Guest Rooster
Churches are easy pickings... especially small, out of the way, rural churches. Armed robbers can pretty much clean the faithful out and make off with everyone's tithes and offerings. Unless a sheepdog happens to have blended in with the rest of the flock.

I'm really darn sure that I wouldn't want to be the guy who stole the Lord's 10% -- talk about karma. But it would make my day to read a story just once about how Gary Gang Banger tried to rob the First Church Of What's Happening Now and ended up with an impromptu visit with his Maker courtesy of an armed congregation.

That would make me smile. A lot. Really big. Kind like this. :)

Speaking of bad karma for messin with God, it was about 10 years ago and I saw in the news where a church had been burned down close to where I lived. I found out later that I had gone to high school with the 2 guys that burned down the church. Well several weeks before they were caught for burning the church they were together driving to Alabama i think and their truck broke down and they were on the side of the road waiting for someone to come and pick them up. They were both sitting on the tailgate of the truck when a car lost control and hit the rear of the truck and they both lived but they both lost one of their legs from the knee down.

Guest Steelharp

I carry in church just because of what happened there. A totally unarmed church population is just as vulnerable as a totally unarmed general population.

He had 2 small caliber handguns and a 9mm semi-automatic machine pistol according to this article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070813/ap_on_re_us/church_shooting_14;_ylt=AgQcOf3HRDsFy8xaQkYClUAE1vAI

Should you carry in church, well you shouldn't have to but if you are smart, you want to. I think it is sad that people do this, then again, it is sad that they do half the stuff that they do.

I carry in church just because of what happened there. A totally unarmed church population is just as vulnerable as a totally unarmed general population.

I thought you carried because you were afraid what would happen when they found out about you and your, um, "interests".sheep_blue_0.gif

I carry in the synagogue except on Saturdays and holidays when carrying is off limits. There was some discussion about maintaining a firearm on premises, locked in a safe, just in case. An unarmed congregation is a bad thing as lots of violent incidents seem to happen in churches.

Guest Phantom6

I'm more likely as not, to have a gun where ever I go. I'll just leave it at that. IMHO saintsfanbrian was correct when he posted "...well you shouldn't have to but if you are smart, ..." .

semi-automatic machine pistol is a conflict of terms... at least they didn't try to call it an 'assault weapon' or something.

yah..but it SOUNDS ominous...and now people will say "you mean its legal to own a semi automatic machine pistol??? we need to BAN those horrid things!"

then some jacka$$ will start calling for a ban on handguns...again

Guest sermon8r

I carry even when i'm Preaching...... but not in the Baptistry....:woohoo:

Guest sermon8r
Carry in church all the time....

Of course our pastor is a HCP holder too, so that helps :woohoo:

Of course you should let the Pastor know you carry so he will be well informed in case something weird happens...... at least if you are regular members and attend often

Of course you should let the Pastor know you carry so he will be well informed in case something weird happens...... at least if you are regular members and attend often

I realize you are a pastor, but I don't agree. I don't feel obligated to inform anyone that I'm carrying a gun, whether at church or anywhere else. Strictly speaking, as long as I'm not breaking any laws, it's nobody else's business.

Believe me...he knows :eek: