Foreigners buying guns in Nashville

Guest BritishShooter

Guest BritishShooter

Hello All,

I am a British Citizen moving to Nashville, Tennessee in August andI am planning to stay for 4-5 years. In Britain I am a keen Trap Shooter/Hunter and I own several shotguns. I was wondering whether or not I would be able to purchase firearms and partake in the sport once I live in Nashville.

It would be a sad day for me if I had to give up shooting for 5 years due to my non-domicile status.

Any advice and info much appreciated :blink:

Regards

British Shooter

PS: I would be entering the US on an F-1 student Visa.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

Short answer is yes, you can purchase, but it will require more paperwork. you need 90 days of continuous residency, so when you arrive, make sure your utility bills are in YOUR name. Also, make sure you are on your lease. You will also need your permanent resident card.

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

(B13) May aliens legally in the United States buy firearms?[Back]

An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.

See also Item 5, “Sales to Aliens in the United States,” in the General Information section of this publication.

[18 U.S.C. 921, 922(:blink:(3), (d) and (g), 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.99(a)]

"Sporting" firearms in the UK are not illegal as far as I understand, but they have to be kept at the club or range that he is a member of under lock & key - correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not at the shop today, but I'll check on whether you can purchase one with a F1 or not - I don't run into it enough to know off the top of my head. Some of the other dealers here will likely be able to tell you for sure though before I'm able to!

Good to have you here, and welcome to TGO!

Guest BritishShooter

Thanks for all the feedback guys; it is really good of you.

Just to answer questions about firearms in the UK. Shotguns are legal in the UK as long as the have a magazine capacity of less than 3 cartridges and are kept in a police-approved gun cabinet. In order to purchase a shotgun you must acquire a shotgun licence from your local Police department. I have a shotgun licence, getting it consisted of having a cop come round to my house, check out my gun safe and home security, interview me in person and perform a background check to ensure I have no criminal record or mental health issues. As you can see it is fairly invasive, and for the most part completely unnecessary. The authorities in this country have still not worked out that people buying guns legally from licensed firearms dealers are not the ones committing the armed robberies. :-\

All guns are banned in the UK other than shotguns and sporting rifles that hold under 5 rounds. I am a firearms enthusiast so if I was able to acquire a hand gun permit while living in the states that would be amazing, I would love to try out some target shooting with a variety of small arms, but my priority would be ensuring I could continue hunting and trap shooting.

I am a student and would be living in college accommodation (I am coming over to study at Vanderbilt University), therefore it would be impossible for me to get utility bills in my name, is that a problem?

Anymore information is much appreciated; thanks for making me feel so welcome!!!:blink::):P

Quoting Canynracers post:

Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.

If you sign a lease with Vandy then that will work as well it seems.

I am a student and would be living in college accommodation (I am coming over to study at Vanderbilt University), therefore it would be impossible for me to get utility bills in my name, is that a problem?

You cannot possess firearms while on the campus. You can store them with VPD.

Vanderbilt Police Department | Vanderbilt University | Students

Thank you for explaining the gun laws in UK.

Edited by threeshot

Possessing/purchasing firearms by a non-US citizen depends on what your immigration status is while you are here in the US. Are you coming here to live permanently, or are you just here temporarily for school? Will you be coming to the US on a student visa?

Someone who is a legal permanent resident (immigrant) is permitted to possess and purchase firearms in the US. You can even obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit once you turn 21 years old. Canynracer posted the requirements above.

However, if you are in the US as a non-immigrant (visitor/student), then the requirements are much more restrictive.

So, what kind of immigration documents will you have?

ETA: Here are the requirements for non-immigrant aliens:

(R1) May nonimmigrant aliens legally in the United States purchase or possess firearms and ammunition while in the United States?

Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

1. nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid (unexpired) hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;
  2. nonimmigrant aliens entering the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show sponsored by a national, State, or local firearms trade organization devoted to the collection, competitive use or other sporting use of firearms;
  3. certain diplomats, if the firearms are for official duties;
  4. officials of foreign governments, if the firearms are for official duties, or distinguished foreign visitors so designated by the U.S. State Department;
  5. foreign law enforcement officers of friendly foreign governments entering the United States on official law enforcement business; and
  6. persons who have received a waiver from the prohibition from the U.S. Attorney General.

Significantly, even if a nonimmigrant alien falls within one of these exceptions, the nonimmigrant alien CANNOT purchase a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) unless he or she (1) has an alien number or admission number from the Department of Homeland Security (formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service) AND (2) can provide the FFL with documentation showing that he or she has resided in a State within the United States for 90 consecutive days immediately prior to the firearms transaction.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(:blink: and 922(y), 27 CFR 478.124, ATF Rul. 2004-1]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#r1

Edited by Reservoir Dog
Guest BritishShooter
Possessing/purchasing firearms by a non-US citizen depends on what your immigration status is while you are here in the US. Are you coming here to live permanently, or are you just here temporarily for school? Will you be coming to the US on a student visa?

Someone who is a legal permanent resident (immigrant) is permitted to possess and purchase firearms in the US. You can even obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit once you turn 21 years old. Canynracer posted the requirements above.

However, if you are in the US as a non-immigrant (visitor/student), then the requirements are much more restrictive.

So, what kind of immigration documents will you have?

ETA: Here are the requirements for non-immigrant aliens:

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

Thanks for this info. I am entering the USA as a student, on a F-1 student non-immagrint visa. Therefore I think that the only way I will be able to purchase firearms is through my participation in competition shooting through either a local Nashville Gun Club the College itself.

Thanks for all your help

Guest BritishShooter
A hunting license for a state also works, it seems.

How would I go about getting a Tennessee hunting licence?

Thanks for this info. I am entering the USA as a student, on a F-1 student non-immagrint visa. Therefore I think that the only way I will be able to purchase firearms is through my participation in competition shooting through either a local Nashville Gun Club the College itself.

Thanks for all your help

Welcome to the USA BritishShooter. In the meantime while waiting for any paperwork to clear, ask one of the knowledgable posters here about any clubs around Nashville you could possibly join and about the legality of renting a shotgun for trap or skeet while at the club so you can enjoy your sport before your paperwork clears. Also find friends at Vandy who also enjoy shooting who may invite you to shoot their firearms at a range or property out of a city limit where it's legal to discharge firearms.

I think your best option for the least amount of time consumption and money is to make friends with a few of us here, pay for some ammo and/or range fees and let us provide you access to the weapons. That way you don't have to go through hoops, sell what every you finally did buy and worry about who is storing it for you.

If you like that option or want to at least start that way, give us all a shout. I could be convinced pretty easily to go shoot with a small bribe of hot wings and some ammo:D

Guest bkelm18

Don't hesitate to ask to go shooting with anyone on here. I'm sure there are several that would be happy to. I'm not sure if you'll be able to buy any firearms, but at least you'll have something to brag about to your fellow gun enthusiasts back home.

I think your best option for the least amount of time consumption and money is to make friends with a few of us here, pay for some ammo and/or range fees and let us provide you access to the weapons. That way you don't have to go through hoops, sell what every you finally did buy and worry about who is storing it for you.

If you like that option or want to at least start that way, give us all a shout. I could be convinced pretty easily to go shoot with a small bribe of hot wings and some ammo:D

Plus he would get to fire some pretty cool weapons that would't even be thought of in England. :D

Guest archerdr1

If you do get to Chattanooga and want to go hunting, let me know and I can set up with a friend to go on their property. You can use my SKS (Danged assault weapon). I will stick to my trusty bow!