Help Identify Snake.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me either....

and I've never seen so many grown men afraid of snakes and spiders :D

Well I can't say much for spiders I am a little scared, but snakes I love. I remember my mom grounded me for 2 weeks when I was 14 because she found out I had a rattlesnake in a 55 gallon tank in my room. Yeah I know I wasn't thinkin, but I really love snakes. I don't keep wild snakes anymore as pets.

Guest crystalm
That always tickles me, too.

- OS

I'm more surprised they admit it. :P

Well I can't say much for spiders I am a little scared, but snakes I love. I remember my mom grounded me for 2 weeks when I was 14 because she found out I had a rattlesnake in a 55 gallon tank in my room. Yeah I know I wasn't thinkin, but I really love snakes. I don't keep wild snakes anymore as pets.

My fiance calls me to come kill the big mean spiders :tough: but had a snake (a constrictor). Gave him away cause I refused to drive to Murfreesboro every other week to get 2 live mice and he got sick of making the drive last summer with the gas prices. I was okay with the snake though :lol:

Guest canynracer

Dont like Spiders (They are pure evil...the devil, sick little creepy crawlies alien 8 legged, spawns of satan)....but, I LOVE snakes...

Guest Phantom6
I am not a TN native so this may be false. But I heard that it is illegal to kill snakes here in TN.

Damn! Even if it was punishable by a week in the slammer I'd be looking at a long stretch. I got no problems with arachnids but I don't do snakes. I also don't like chicken. Tastes like snake. :)

Guest JLowe
Dont like Spiders (They are pure evil...the devil, sick little creepy crawlies alien 8 legged, spawns of satan)....but, I LOVE snakes...

I absolutely 110% agree. They are just out to bite you in your sleep, bunch of damn little sissies won't even attack me when I'm awake, always when I'm sleeping. As far as snakes, they don't bother me and besides if your hungry they taste like chicken :rock:.

no it's the rattleheadedcottonjaw

I have got bitten by one of them before, in one of the remotest section of the Great Smoky Mountians National Park. Luckily I had my GPS/2 way radio that was linked to the Marines. They responded before the snakes 6" fangs were completely removed from my already blacken leg.

When the Heli landed I wasn't at all surprised to see Colin Powell step off (we go way back). He instantly "Ramboed Up" and caught the legless bastard and bit its head off.....(and I thought Chuck Norris was hardcore). With the venom Colin Powell just injested mixed with his spit an awsome anti-venom was created and I was able to keep my leg.

I told Colin (we are now on a first name basis) thank God he showed up and not Chuck Norris, cause Chuck (thats right, I called him by his first name) couldn't have done that. Colin warned me and said " If Mr. Norris had bitten the rattleheadedcottonjaw's head off then the venom would have mixed with his saliva and formed ant-matter, and we would all be dead.

Moral of the Story, Chuck Norris is still awesome.

I have got bitten by one of them before, in one of the remotest section of the Great Smoky Mountians National Park. Luckily I had my GPS/2 way radio that was linked to the Marines. They responded before the snakes 6" fangs were completely removed from my already blacken leg.

When the Heli landed I wasn't at all surprised to see Colin Powell step off (we go way back). He instantly "Ramboed Up" and caught the legless bastard and bit its head off.....(and I thought Chuck Norris was hardcore). With the venom Colin Powell just injested mixed with his spit an awsome anti-venom was created and I was able to keep my leg.

I told Colin (we are now on a first name basis) thank God he showed up and not Chuck Norris, cause Chuck (thats right, I called him by his first name) couldn't have done that. Colin warned me and said " If Mr. Norris had bitten the rattleheadedcottonjaw's head off then the venom would have mixed with his saliva and formed ant-matter, and we would all be dead.

Moral of the Story, Chuck Norris is still awesome.

HA HA HA HA. Great story did Mr Rogers help you type it :wall:.

• 4 weeks later...
I am not a TN native so this may be false. But I heard that it is illegal to kill snakes here in TN.

It's illegal in TN NOT to kill rattlers, copperheads, or cotton mouths - or rattleheaded coppermoccasins:D

Yeah unfortunately it is illegal in TN to kill these critters, but, being an LEO, I can authoritatively and self righteously say that every one I've ever seen dead was ruled a suicide!:) I do know that black snakes kill copperheads and such, but as strict as TWRA is about snakes, I'm suprised they haven't tried to prosecute the black snakes.

Now, you go out and kill every stinkin spider that you happen to cross paths with! If there's anything I hate more than spiders I can't think of what it would be, unless you count most of my ex-girlfriends.;)

I do love snakes though. I'm still guilty of catching one every now and then. Spiders? Just about shot my sarge one time when he walked up to me with a big goofy hairy long legged black nasty evil satan's offspring pure sinful wickedness lookin spider in a box while I was tring to do a report.

"Hey look what I found in the jail!"

"Whoa now, I'm sorry, put the gun away, I didn't know"

Just didn't go well. And yes, being a rational and accountable being, I freely admit it, I hate em!

Edited by res308
Guest MERRILL

I did a little research. Cottonmouths are as far east as Nashville. They tend to like slow moving water not creeks. Easiest to find them in swampy areas. Most people would not know a cottonmouth from a common water snake. The cottonmouth is kin to the copperhead. Both are of the same genus.- Source is Conan's field guide to reptiles. The source is old and quite possibly cottonmouths are farther east with the warming temperatures. I have seen banded armadillos in TN, normally seen farther west. OOps I posted this in the wrong thread..my bad.

Edited by MERRILL
Guest TRIAD280

rule of thumb is if the snake has a triangle shaped head, stay away

if it has a rounded head, you're ok.

Armadillo's are as far east as Dickson Co. now. They are here to start eating the fireants.

They will follow them where ever they go