Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

• Administrator
From the Clarksville's The Leaf Chronicle.

Restaurant owners cheered Bredesen's veto. Boscos co-owner Andy Feinstone put signs up this month banning handguns in his three Tennessee restaurants, including in Hillsboro Village, in anticipation of the bill becoming state law.

"I think it's great that the governor vetoed it, and hopefully it doesn't get overridden," Feinstone said

So I know where I will not go eat.

You know what... I think cases like this demand a peaceful protest in front of the restaurant on the day that HB0962 finally passes. We might as well take a tactic used against us so often by the liberal wieners (picketing) and use it against them for once.

Picket signs, empty holsters displayed as a show of being rendered defenseless by the restaurant owner, and a permit obtained from the local LEO to protest outside on the public street / sidewalk off of the restaurant's private property.

Maybe some bad press will change Mr. Feinstone's mind. :wave:

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

Yeah, like the Tennessean or the TV stations would actually cover it? LOLOLOLOL

Better for them to get deluged with emails explaining why we'll never darken their door. They played their hand before the bill even became law, and they should know that it will cost them the business of lots of law abiding citizens.

Boscos Corporate

Roma Pomodori, Inc.

827 South Main

Memphis, TN 38106

901-278-0087

901-278-3040 - fax

boscos@boscosbeer.com

Of course, they are a brew pub, I guess they figure if we won't be drinking anyway, who needs us?

I just sent them this...

Gentlemen,

I just saw in the Tennessean's article today that you've gone ahead and posted your restaurants not to allow legal, licensed, law abiding citizens that wish to enforce their 2nd Amendment rights into your establishments, before this bill even became law.

I've visited your Hillsboro Village location many times, both with my family and for business lunches with my colleagues. Whether the Governor's veto is overridden or not, I'll never darken your door again. I'll also be sure to tell all my friends about your position as well.

Edited by HexHead
Guest ScottD

Senator Tracy has my vote:

5-29-09

Scott,

Thanks for your email asking me to help override the Governor's veto on

Senate Bill 1127 with regard to the Restaurant Carry Law. Please be

assured that I will continue to support this legislation.

Best regards,

Jim

Guest JHatmaker

Well, looks like I won't be drinking Bosco's beer anymore.....it's a shame too, good food and beer. But his establishments won't get anymore of my money.

Guest HexHead
You know what... I think cases like this demand a peaceful protest in front of the restaurant on the day that HB0962 finally passes. We might as well take a tactic used against us so often by the liberal wieners (picketing) and use it against them for once.

Picket signs, empty holsters displayed as a show of being rendered defenseless by the restaurant owner, and a permit obtained from the local LEO to protest outside on the public street / sidewalk off of the restaurant's private property.

But you have to admit, overturning cars, breaking their windows and torching the place would be a lot more FUN. :):D:D:D:D

guys when you contact YOUR Represenative/Senator, and make sure its just yours, they wont pay much attention to cerrespondence from outside their district. Remember to be coutious and to thank them for their votes.. then ask them to continue to be the voice of the people and overide the veto. Mkae it simple and to the point.

Guest KWW67

Give me a date and time and I WILL BE THERE!

Guest ScottD
guys when you contact YOUR Represenative/Senator, and make sure its just yours, they wont pay much attention to cerrespondence from outside their district. Remember to be coutious and to thank them for their votes.. then ask them to continue to be the voice of the people and overide the veto. Mkae it simple and to the point.

As exemplified by my email to Sen. Tracy. It was sincere, concise, and to MY Senator. He replied in less that 12 hours.

What I sent to Bosco's:

"I have been informed that you posted your restaurants to not allow licensed, law-abiding citizens to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights by carrying their concealed handguns into your establishments to enjoy a meal before the bill allowing them to do so even became law.

Neither I, my family, my friends, nor anyone else that I influence will patronize your business. I’m sure you’ll be comfortable knowing that only criminals will enter your establishment while armed. Good luck with that."

I have been emailing other members of the legislature to encourage them to vote to over-ride this veto. I just don't tell them I don't live in their district. Except for Sen. Jackson and Rep. Curry.

I have sent a mass email to the following list of Senators and Reps. that voted against the bill and sent them BCC so they don't know who all received the same email. Be polite, for now anyway!

In case you are interested

Representatives voting no were:

Armstrong rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov

Brown rep.tommie.brown@capitol.tn.gov

Camper rep.karen.camper@capitol.tn.gov

DeBerry J rep.john.deberry@capitol.tn.gov

DeBerry L rep.lois.deberry@capitol.tn.gov

Favors rep.joanne.favors@capitol.tn.gov

Fitzhugh rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov

Hardaway rep.ga.hardaway@capitol.tn.gov

Harmon rep.bill.harmon@capitol.tn.gov

Jones S rep.sherry.jones@capitol.tn.gov

Jones U rep.ulysses.jones@capitol.tn.gov

Kernell rep.mike.kernell@capitol.tn.gov

Litz rep.john.litz@capitol.tn.gov

Naifeh spk.eme.jimmy.naifeh@capitol.tn.gov

Pitts rep.joe.pitts@capitol.tn.gov

Pruitt rep.mary.pruitt@capitol.tn.gov

Richardson rep.jeanne.richardson@capitol.tn.gov

Shaw rep.johnny.shaw@capitol.tn.gov

Sontany rep.janis.sontany@capitol.tn.gov

Stewart rep.mike.stewart@capitol.tn.gov

Towns rep.joe.towns@capitol.tn.gov

Turner L rep.larry.turner@capitol.tn.gov

Turner M rep.mike.turner@capitol.tn.gov

Senators voting no were:

Berke sen.andy.berke@capitol.tn.gov

Burks sen.charlotte.burks@capitol.tn.gov

Harper sen.thelma.harper@capitol.tn.gov

Haynes sen.joe.haynes@capitol.tn.gov

Henry sen.douglas.henry@capitol.tn.gov

Kyle sen.jim.kyle@capitol.tn.gov

Marrero sen.beverly.marrero@capitol.tn.gov

Guest 3pugguy

agree and done last night. Bill Clinton learned the hard way, so maybe some of these folks need to (and will, depending on their votes) learn a lesson, also.

E-mail sent.

Dear Representative Johnson,

Again I want to thank you for your support of the pro-2nd amendment bills that have come to the floor of the State House recently. As you can guess I am writing you about my total disgust with Governor Bredesen's game of sneaky, dirty politics. As I understand it, he had the bill to allow permit holders to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol on his desk for several days and just decided to veto it, holding out till almost the 10 day limit was up. We all know this was done on purpose. He very well could have voiced his opposition long before that and it's disrespectful to the citizens of Tennessee as well as the legislator for him to do what he did. I certainly hope the legislator will over ride his veto as soon as possible and show him and his puppet Chief Serpas's arrogant political games will not be sucessfull.

Thank you again,

Jon

Guest kdpate

E-mails sent.

Passed info around to other gun owners.

Called a few liberal media outlets dumbasses for using stupid terms (i.e. WATE.com using "booze in bars"....WTF?!?!?!)

And I am all for an open carry protest....:wave:

Guest MediaBuster
E-mails sent.

Passed info around to other gun owners.

Called a few liberal media outlets dumbasses for using stupid terms (i.e. WATE.com using "booze in bars"....WTF?!?!?!)

And I am all for an open carry protest....:wave:

If they don't pass it, we will need to find or make very realistic plastic (toy) or model guns & open carry into restaurants.. (Holstered of course.) :)

Ok, I got a little long winded. I hope it isn't too long to be effective :wave:

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 8:22 AM

To: 'susan.lynn@charter.net'; 'sen.mae.beavers@capitol.tn.gov'

Cc: 'sen.doug.jackson@capitol.tn.gov'; 'sen.jim.kyle@capitol.tn.gov'; 'sen.mark.norris@capitol.tn.gov'; 'sen.diane.black@capitol.tn.gov'; 'sen.roy.herron@capitol.tn.gov'; 'speaker.kent.williams@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.jason.mumpower@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.glen.casada@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.lois.deberry@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.john.litz@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.mike.turner@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.henry.fincher@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.sherry.jones@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.larry.turner@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.dennis.ferguson@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.mark.maddox@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.debra.maggart@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.jon.lundberg@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.barrett.rich@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.judd.matheny@capitol.tn.gov'; 'rep.joey.hensley@capitol.tn.gov'

Subject: HB 0962

Representative Lynn and Senator Beavers,

I think I know where you both stand on this issue but wanted to reinforce what I believe is your stance on this bill. Please do all you can to be sure that the Governors Veto of HB 0962 is overturned in both the House and Senate As Soon As Possible. I appreciate both of you immensely as you are truly acting as elected officials should by voting per the will of the people. Unfortunately, there are many of your fellow Representatives and Senators that believe they know better than the people who elected them. They forget that their only duty is to be the voice of the people, for the people. Our Governor is obviously guilty of this as he has demonstrated by this veto and apparently is arrogant enough to believe he knows best.

Other Representatives and Senators copied in this email,

First and foremost, I am a law abiding resident of the Great state of Tennessee who has had a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit for many years. I have never broken any laws other than the typical driving infractions normal for a man in his mid 40's. Thankfully, I have never had to use my handgun to defend myself or others at any point during this time and I pray that I will never have to. I do however carry my handgun with me at all times, except when going into a restaurant for lunch or dinner that serves Alcohol, even though I do not partake in having a "drink". During these times, I am forced by my own conventions to follow the law and leave my weapon in my locked vehicle. This act in itself increases the potential for crime in our great state. Not from the perspective that I do not have the weapon on my person so I could defend myself and family God forbid the need arose, but by the simple fact that my weapon is now in my vehicle and susceptible to theft by a criminal who would do God only knows with it. As any responsible gun owner should, I keep my weapons, both handguns and rifles locked up in a safe in my home when not in use. This is certainly much more secure than any automobile.

It amazes me at the misinformation out there about "Guns and Alcohol don't mix." Well of course they don't, It is nothing short of political rhetoric. That is precisely what HB 0962 bill states. A TN Handgun Carry Permit Holder cannot consume alcohol under this bill. I constantly hear "Who will enforce this?" My answer, the same people who enforce that guns aren't allowed in restaurants that serve alcohol now. Who is protecting me and my family at the present as we sit in Olive Garden? It is currently against the law so only criminals are currently being served while carrying a gun in restaurants where alcohol is served. Is there anyone out there truly naive enough to believe it isn't happening right now? That is exactly what scares me and should you as well. I would venture to say that the person who is knowingly breaking the law now could care less about obtaining a Handgun Carry Permit in the first place, even if they could. After all, if they are going to break the law, why go through the expense, background check and Handgun Safety Course? I, as well as allot of fellow Tennesseans, are simply asking our legislators to level the playing field. Like many others, I refuse to disarm myself and allow only the criminals to have firearms. I have pondered this issue for many years and have come to the conclusion that the only solution to gun control is to control who has them and who doesn't simply by enforcing the laws currently in place. I assure you, it would be less costly and much more effective if our legislators would spend their time looking for better ways to enforce these laws and to punish those who break them rather than to try and dream up new ways to hinder those that will not break the law. As a prime example, we as a society have not been effective at ridding our schools or our streets of drugs, so why are some so naive to think that by taking guns from law abiding citizens it will somehow lesson gun crimes?

Whether you agree with the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States or not, this is not the issue at hand. We can all agree to disagree on the issue of gun control. However, you and/or your predecessors have voted to allow Law Abiding Citizens of this great state to apply and receive Handgun Carry Permits without all of the rhetoric of the time about "Wild West Shoot outs" and such ever materializing. This bill just corrects what I believe was an error on the original bill by creating so called gun free zones in our everyday lives. If you trust someone with a loaded gun, shouldn't you be able to trust them to show constraint in a restaurant that serves alcohol?

People seem to forget that TN HCP holders have been carrying loaded handguns into restaurants such as Cracker Barrel, Panera Bread, Chick Fill-A, Jason's Deli, Subway, McDonalds, Taco Bell etc. for many years now without incident. Since 2000, we have even been carrying loaded handguns into Liquor Stores, Grocery Stores and Convenient Stores that sell alcohol and apparently TN HCP holders have shown constraint and not shot up the places. I ask you what is the difference? Why all of the sudden would HCP holders start to drink in Chili's because they are allowed to carry in there now? I honestly do not believe this to be the case. Remember that we TN HCP Holders are law abiding citizens. We cannot have so much as a misdemeanor on our record in order to obtain this HCP, nor can we have a DUI. It's a shame that these guidelines do not hold true for our elected officials. Please do not continue to punish us while trying aimlessly to restrict criminals as in fact all it does is give them the upper hand. Criminals could care less what laws you pass.

Please vote the obvious will of the people and override the Governors Veto of HB 0962.

Your loyal constituent and fellow Tennessean,

David D

xxx xxx xx

xxxxxxxx, TN xxxxx

Edited by DavidD