Permit Renewal?

Guest stovepipe

Guest stovepipe

My pemit expires mid Dec., how long is the renewal process taking these days?

And what's the deal, you've got to send them a non-returnable, state issued copy of your birth certificate to prove citizenship? Are most of you renewing in person?

Thx!

Edited by stovepipe
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stovepipe

...And it looks like you have to call to get a renewal form mailed to you... What happened to downloading the forms on line?

Guest nj.piney

i renewed in febr. at motor vehicle office . i made the call about one week ago and was told they were waiting on the background check . one week later it came in the mail .i would advise , make the call after 60 days . approx 90 day wait .

I don't think you can download the form any longer.

They mailed me a reminder and a renewal form about 5-6 months before mine expired. You have to be within 6 months of expiration before you can renew.

I did mine in person, that way you have the reciept in hand.

Just a note to others...if you got your permit after July 2005 you should not have to show your birth certificate again. That is when the law changed to require proof of Citizenship or lawful permanent residency. So since that point, it has alread been logged when you first applied.

I mailed mine back in March. The non-returnable copy of my birth certificate was mailed back to me a couple of weeks later. I will be calling early this week to check the status as I have not got it yet and it expires in a few weeks.

Guest HexHead

Just a note to others...if you got your permit after July 2005 you should not have to show your birth certificate again. That is when the law changed to require proof of Citizenship or lawful permanent residency. So since that point, it has alread been logged when you first applied.

Hmm, my wife got her permit last year, submitted her paperwork in March and I don't recall her having to provide a birth certificate. I think they started requiring that sometime last summer.

It took me more than 6 months for a renewal. Go to one of there stations

and give them proof of citizenship. They will make a copy and return your paperwork to you. They also give you a copy of the application stamped that acts as your permit if yours expires before you get it.

Edited by R1100R
Hmm, my wife got her permit last year, submitted her paperwork in March and I don't recall her having to provide a birth certificate. I think they started requiring that sometime last summer.

She should have had to show something for proof of age and something to show citizenship/residency, but neither has to be a birth certificate...or at least the citizenship/residency doesn't. There is a whole list of acceptable documents on the state's website.

All I know is 2005 is when they started requiring proof of citizenship or lawful permanent residency.

Effective July 1, 2005, all new handgun permit applicants must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.

U.S. Citizenship/Lawful Permanent Residency Documents

Note that they've recently changed the passport rules, too.

An expired passport was good when I did mine last August, and that's what I used, since my one copy of birth cert was really fragile.

Now passport must be current.

- OS

Guest TargetShooter84

how much is renewal? 50 smackers?

Looks like its alot easier to go to DMV and pay up in person and wait it out...easier to have proof in hand (receipt).

Guest tedbo
how much is renewal? 50 smackers?

Looks like its alot easier to go to DMV and pay up in person and wait it out...easier to have proof in hand (receipt).

I did that yesterday so that I would have the reciept in hand. I waited ,and waited,and waited for about an hour and a half before I got out of there. I think there were 5 people ahead of me for carry issues,renewals if I go with the idea of being in the "A" group when I was given my number.

I went to the local DMV office on 3-11-09 and got a stamped reciept and still have no new permit.

I went roughly at the same time and don't have mine either.

I meant to call a couple of weeks ago and just haven't

Going to NC this weekend and just hope I don't have to try and explain to a NC officer that permit is still valid with the reciept even though the expiration date was over a month ago.

Edited by Fallguy
She should have had to show something for proof of age and something to show citizenship/residency, but neither has to be a birth certificate...or at least the citizenship/residency doesn't. There is a whole list of acceptable documents on the state's website.

All I know is 2005 is when they started requiring proof of citizenship or lawful permanent residency.

I spoke with the Handgun Permit people in Nashville this morning about renewals. They are not requiring proof of citizenship anymore. She advised me that I just needed to send in the form with my $50 and that was all they required.

I spoke with the Handgun Permit people in Nashville this morning about renewals. They are not requiring proof of citizenship anymore. She advised me that I just needed to send in the form with my $50 and that was all they required.

I believe that is because of a recent AG Opion. AG opinon 09-106 says that a renewal applicant is not required to submit anything but the renweal application, $50 and certify they are still elligible for a HCP.

However I'm still pretty sure new applicants will have to show proof of citizenship or lawful permanent residency.

Agreed about proof of citizenship for 1st timers. But I was very glad to hear I wouldn't have to mess around with the whole birth certificate thing to renew. I'll be sending my renewal in the mail now instead of going to the local station which would probably take a good bit of the day.