5 Shot 9mm Revolver

Guest FiddleDog

Cool SP101. I've had two of the Taurus and one Ruger Speed Six 9mm revolver. Always wanted to shoot the S&W 9mm revolver but the cost of one and their rarity leaves that in doubt. At the price of your SP101 you got a very a good deal. Rugers are fun and very easy to work on. One thing I always think is a good thing to do with a Ruger is completely dismantle it and clean and hone/polish it at key points sparingly. Due to the investment casting methods that Ruger employs there are sometimes little bits and pieces of cast "slag" left in nooks and crannies, you can often remove these with dental picks. Using a nice stone, some fine polishing rouge on a dremel felt pad, finishing with a good lube can often improve the action dramatically. I have sometimes ground and polished off the corners of the thumb spur.

Enjoy that uber neat revolver.

Craig

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good for you I looked for one of these for my wife for over a year now. . .she wants a wheel gun and I already have a p95 and a pc9 so I really wanted to stay witha 9mm

Get her a Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm.

The 9mm feels like .22 through it.

And besides, cowgirls are hot.

- OS

I agree, the 9mm revolvers are novel and a lot a fun to shoot. I have a S&W Model 547 that I found in Specialty Arms about 7/8 years ago. I bought it for the novelty factor but found it fun to shoot and pretty accurate as well. However, unlike the comments on late model Ruger and Taurus versions, the 547 does have a pretty strong recoil. Actually feels like a 357. And it definitely doesn't like dirty ammo. Twenty or so rounds and it gums up heavily.

Oh yeah, recoil. After owning 3 9mm revolvers I have none. Recoil about mimics a .357 and in a small revolver, like the Taurus 905, it can become somewhat unmanageable. My test is to to shoot quickly off-hand one-handed, if I can't put them fast with confidence inside a 6" circle at 10 yrds then I don't buy it or keep it (any more). I had a ported titanium .357 J-frame sized revolver once. After shooting it a few times the most fun I had with it was loading it up and giving to whoever and "take this little baby around the block a time or two." Regardless of the skill level of the shooter I never had even one person say, "let me have another cylinder full." The little 9mm Taurus's are not as bad as the titanium revolver was but to use it with confidence off-hand one-handed you have to practice a lot. The other issue is that in the two Taurus 905's extraction became a problem in both revolvers unless the gun was clean. I mean after 15-20 rds extraction became iffy.