10/22 Butler Creek mags

Billco

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

I've always been told to get the steel lips. One guy has recently told me he has had no trouble from the plastic lipped 50 round Butler Creek's, but I haven't shot it myself.

Guest Jcochran88

My brother in law has a plastic lip one and its a constant issue, he picked up the metal lip on and after close to 1k no issues.

I have 4 steel lipped ones..in three sessions with them, none have been flawless, as far as feeding, EXCEPT if I used minimags.

The loader works well enough, you just have to jiggle, tilt, crank, half crank back sometimes, etc. You get the hang of it, and it really DOES beat hand loading.

But HERE'S the product I'm promoting as the niftiest 10/22 accessory:

TriMag_assembled.jpg

TriMag_exploded_view.jpg

TriMag.

Has website, but sells them cheaper on eBay.

And you can get factory mags at Cabela's for 12.50 each by the four pack.

- OS

Guest coldblackwind

I have 3 plastic lip ones, never had a real issue out of them. 2 of them have probably....I dunno....50,000 rounds through each of them (used over I believe 6 different 10-22's), and they tend to jam, but new, or after a more reasonable amount of use, I've had less problems from them than factory 10 rounders.

I have tried all 25+ mags I could find and finally gave up. I even tried the all-metal ones, but they still jammed. I now have 5 "normal" 10 shot Ruger factory rotary magazines. Not a single jam from any of them. I really half believe that the .22 LR is just too small and light to function well in a high capacity mag. Of course we always have posters who have 100,000+ rounds through their $10.98 specials without a hiccup. I just have never been that lucky.My personal experience has been that The gun was designed around the 10 shot rotary mag and that is what it does the best job with. Unless you are playing SWAT or G.I. wannabe, it really doesn't make much difference. I shoot to hit something, not make a noise and ten shots will kill anything I'm shooting at!

Guest jimdigriz

wjh2657, Did you try the Tactical Innovations 25 rounders? I've good things about them and was planning to pick one up. I took my new 10/22 to the range yesterday for the first time and unfortunately had a bunch of feed issues with the factory mag. Maybe a little oiling and cleaning will help things. Jim

The TI Aluminums were on a 3-6 month backorder when I did my trials. So, no I didn't try them. They weren't, and from what I can find on the web, still are not, available. If and when they ever become available, I may try one of them. Question is academic now, with decent .22 lR ammo almost non-existant.

Guest jimdigriz
The TI Aluminums were on a 3-6 month backorder when I did my trials. So, no I didn't try them. They weren't, and from what I can find on the web, still are not, available. If and when they ever become available, I may try one of them. Question is academic now, with decent .22 lR ammo almost non-existant.

I picked up two boxes of 500 for $23 apiece at Dick's Sporting Goods in Mt. Juliet on Saturday. Of course, maybe the brand I picked was not "decent" - I'm hardly a connoseur of ammo - since I had a number of feed issues.

Guest smittyb

This is suprising to me. I've had a couple 10/22's, still have one, and have never really had problems from Butler Creek mags. I really never knew prople had this nuch trouble with them. Now Eagle brand on the other hand, that is pure junk.

My brother had a 30rd Ram-line that worked ok in his gun, but not as well in mine.

The Butler Creeks were fine until I got about 1500 rounds through them, then they started having problems too. Could just be my 1022, as I have heard that some guns take to them and some don't. You should never take another person's experience with gun accessories as gospel as to how they will work in yours. Different parts + different guns may equal totally different results!

I would like to have a high cap in my Tacticool 1022, so I may try the TI aluminum when they become available. They are adjustable and I may be able to make them work on this gun.

I'm just saying I haven't had much luck with 1022 High Caps in my gun. However, the same gun with factory mags is a super performer, so, for this particular gun, I'll stick with stock mags for now.

The Butler Creeks were fine until I got about 1500 rounds through them, then they started having problems too....

My four seem to like a couple varieties of copper jacketed stuff better than leadhead. One out of the four has been problematic with the first half of the shells no matter what...Sat, just in desperation, I give the empty top part with follower showing a shot of CLP. Ran two mags's worth after that just fine. I know lube in a mag is generally a no no, but hmmm...

It's unlikely I'll need to defend the perimeter with a 10/22, but if it ever comes to that, I'll prolly rely on the 10 rounders too!

- OS

I am finicky about reliability , even in rimfires. I didn't really want to give a bad rap to any of the High Cap mags. They are fine for fun shooting where you don't rely on every shot working (an impossibility with rimfire ammo anyway!) but I do trust the Ruger Mags more than aftermarket for a gun I may need to dispatch a rabid skunk or a snake.

Guest jimdigriz
I am finicky about reliability , even in rimfires. I didn't really want to give a bad rap to any of the High Cap mags. They are fine for fun shooting where you don't rely on every shot working (an impossibility with rimfire ammo anyway!) but I do trust the Ruger Mags more than aftermarket for a gun I may need to dispatch a rabid skunk or a snake.

Well, my brand new Ruger mag in a brand new rifle had at least 5 jams in 50 shots a couple of days ago. I was using Winchester Target ammo. Is that brand known to have problems (I suspect not), or could I have just had bad luck with the mag or new rifle? I didn't expect to have to break-in phase with the rifle the way you might have one with a new semi-auto handgun, but what do I know.

Jim

Well, my brand new Ruger mag in a brand new rifle had at least 5 jams in 50 shots a couple of days ago. I was using Winchester Target ammo. Is that brand known to have problems (I suspect not), or could I have just had bad luck with the mag or new rifle? I didn't expect to have to break-in phase with the rifle the way you might have one with a new semi-auto handgun, but what do I know.

Jim

I dunno either, but I have 10 factory 10/22 mags, and I don't think I've had ANY jams from ANY of them, and I've shot at least 5 types/brands of .22LR through them. By Winchester "target", if that's the lead head stuff, I've shot it too, without probs.

- OS

I think you may have a clue with the term "brand new". Every weapon I ever owned , and some of them were very,very expensive, have needed a break-in period. The only guns that worked really good out of the box were my H&R top breaks and all of my bolt action rifles. Even my revered S&W revolvers were finicky at first. A lot of the Ruger (and all .22 semi-autos) are not carefully hand finished and have rough edges and burrs. Shooting them smoothes all of that out. If your problem persists you need to send that gun back to Ruger.

I really felt that the problems I had with High Cap mags were due to design ,not rough edges, and that more shooting wasn't going to help much. Just my impression.

I th...A lot of the Ruger (and all .22 semi-autos) are not carefully hand finished and have rough edges and burrs. .

Then there's all that goofy black paint on the newer 10/22's that you have to wear off, too. It's down in the receiver, too.

- OS

Mine was the stainless model, no black paint, but it did have some rough edges. Shoots real good now though. I use the 1022 for fun, I hunt with one of my two Marlin 60s. In the woods I like the tubular magazine.

• 4 months later...

I bought one of the 30 round, not BC, at the Smyrna gunshow, and the bolt wouldn't even close! It was the metal (aluminum) lips. You can actually see where the bolt is hitting on the side or the tallest lip.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

I took a tip from feller on another forum, and gave all four of my BC (steel lips) mags a good shot of silicon spray lube.

I've run several loads through each of them since, and not one failure. I mean, not a one. Different brands of ammo, all copper coated though.

- OS

Guest 1817ak47

I have 4 butler creek steel lips 25 rounders, put a few thousand threw them a while back when ammo was readily available. NO problems, but when loading them make sure to tap the back side or the ammo will get kind binded up. we even did alot of bmf activators trials with it emptying 25 rnds in about 3 seconds. now my friend had some brand of "speedloader" I have no idea hte model but can find out. we had alot of jamming when using rem ammo but not fed ammo. the reason is hte lips is a little thicker on the rem ammo. I took a caliper and checked a few from each brand and found that to be true after reading about that somewhere many months back.

Edited by 1817ak47
typo, typed tape hte backside not tap