An open letter to the folks on this board....

Guest HexHead

Guest cjames38464

Mr. Hexhead....(no sarcasm here)

I am a short timer to TGO, but there is one thing that is abundantly clear...Most of the folks on here can handle issues like men, no offense to the bueatiful ladies here. What I mean is, disagreements occur and a few on here have become heated and when the dust settles there is still respect and humility toward each other, that speaks volumes to the character of the folks here...That said, Mr. Hex Head has shown exactly the type of character I am speaking about....+++++10000000 :biglol::usa::biglol::usa:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Hexhead....(no sarcasm here)

I am a short timer to TGO, but there is one thing that is abundantly clear...Most of the folks on here can handle issues like men, no offense to the bueatiful ladies here. What I mean is, disagreements occur and a few on here have become heated and when the dust settles there is still respect and humility toward each other, that speaks volumes to the character of the folks here...That said, Mr. Hex Head has shown exactly the type of character I am speaking about....+++++10000000 :(:usa::usa::usa:

Indeed. Well said! While it was a private matter, I will say the same for Volzfan. He is a true gentleman!

Now that the "clean" bill has passed, and will become law effective July 14th, I want to take this opportunity to apologize to many members here.

I won't name names, because I can't remember all the feathers I may have ruffled, but you know who you are.

Yeah, I was willing to compromise and accept half a loaf to ensure we got a restaurant carry bill. I questioned the wisdom of those of you that insisted on a clean bill, saying it was a "bill too far" and that we could just as easily end up with nothing.

Nothing makes me happier than to admit I was wrong and to thank you guys for standing up for your principles. Especially since I'll get to benefit from your actions. Well, except for those nights I'm in bed at 10pm. :D

Thanks again guys and I hope you'll all accept my apology for doubting you.

Hex

You didn't upset me at all Hex. Personally I was wanting this bill for mostly matters of principals. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol for over 5 years because of stomach problems, just 2 beers would make me sick these days, don't even have any desire for it either. I also don't have any desire to spend $30+ for a meal at a fancy joint that isn't any better than anything I can cook up for $8. Good ol Cracker Barrel or Petro Truck Stop is my style so I have no personal desire to go to these restuarants, or especially bars. I just want the right to carry their if I chose.

You didn't upset me at all Hex. Personally I was wanting this bill for mostly matters of principals. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol for over 5 years because of stomach problems, just 2 beers would make me sick these days, don't even have any desire for it either. I also don't have any desire to spend $30+ for a meal at a fancy joint that isn't any better than anything I can cook up for $8. Good ol Cracker Barrel or Petro Truck Stop is my style so I have no personal desire to go to these restuarants, or especially bars. I just want the right to carry their if I chose.

same here... I love to cook and hate to spend money on something I can do better myself..it was more a matter of princip than anything else I guess...

Db

Guest lci419

I know I may have come across as a bit harsh, but no apologies necessary as far as I'm concerned. We're all on the same team here, and though tensions ran high at points, WE WON! So we should all glory in the victory.

Kentucky doesn't allow anyone to post a prohibited carry sign and restaurant carry has been legal since CCW permits started being issued.

It sucks to admit it, but Kentucky's way ahead of Tenenssee in terms of firearms law.

I have been beat up a little in past posts (not only on this site) when I suggested how sweet it would be if the posted sign meant nothing in the eyes of the law. Many say it is the owners choice and I agree but if the sign didn't hold a law break (unless you were asked to leave and refused) we would have the best of both worlds.

You could enter a posted building concealed and not be violating a law. If the owner somehow "makes" you and asks you to leave, out you should go.

Most of the time I hear you should just not patronize the business but there are situations that make that very impractical, like being out with a group of people and a good distance from the car etc.

Now that we are making progress, I hope more of us start agreeing that our posting law still could use a touch up and drop the misdemeanor associated with it.

I have been beat up a little in past posts (not only on this site) when I suggested how sweet it would be if the posted sign meant nothing in the eyes of the law. Many say it is the owners choice and I agree but if the sign didn't hold a law break (unless you were asked to leave and refused) we would have the best of both worlds.

You could enter a posted building concealed and not be violating a law. If the owner somehow "makes" you and asks you to leave, out you should go.

Most of the time I hear you should just not patronize the business but there are situations that make that very impractical, like being out with a group of people and a good distance from the car etc.

Now that we are making progress, I hope more of us start agreeing that our posting law still could use a touch up and drop the misdemeanor associated with it.

I agree but I would also be surprised if that would happen within the next few years. They don't seem to want to do that type thing every year.

I am ok with surprises so if it does happen I'll be a happy camper!

So here is my question, and I apologize for not already knowing this..... So what will happen to you if you do conceal carry in a restaurant that has a posted "no guns allowed" sign? I mean....can they call the police and you go to jail for it? Or is it simply a situation where if they ask you if you have a gun on you and you say yes and then they just ask you to leave? Of course if you refuse to leave then you could be taken to jail but.....if you leave is that it? It's just the owners rules right? You can't go to jail for carrying in a place that is posted right?

Guest HexHead
So here is my question, and I apologize for not already knowing this..... So what will happen to you if you do conceal carry in a restaurant that has a posted "no guns allowed" sign? I mean....can they call the police and you go to jail for it? Or is it simply a situation where if they ask you if you have a gun on you and you say yes and then they just ask you to leave? Of course if you refuse to leave then you could be taken to jail but.....if you leave is that it? It's just the owners rules right? You can't go to jail for carrying in a place that is posted right?

If it's not posted correctly, the sign has no rule of law. They'll likely just ask you to leave. I'd recommend leaving without an argument or else they could call the police and have you cited for trespassing.

Even if they called the police initially, you would probably just be asked to leave since no law was broken as they weren't properly posted. But as been often said here, that could be up to the officer. Probably not the best time to cop an attitude with him. :shake:

I carry around the wording the sign is supposed to be "substantially similar to" in my iPhone in case that situation comes up. :D

Can you guys show me an example of what properly posted actually looks like? I want to make darn sure I know.

I believe someone has posted a pic of "legal sign" although I can't find it at the moment.

The trouble is, the law doesn't give exact guidelines to follow, it just says the sign has to be "substantially similar" as to what is in the law.

You can see a bit more in these two threads..

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-law-faq/21580-tca-39-17-1359-tennessee-prohibition-carry-notice.html

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/tennessee-politics-legislation/22338-language-substantially-similar.html

The sign actually has to say verbage like this... and I think it has to be 6x14 inches too.

PURSUANT TO T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. A VIOLATION OF THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY BE SUBJECT TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN $500

39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings

"...The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person

entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500)."

--------------

39-17-1311. Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds.

"...Each chief administrator of public recreational property shall display in prominent locations about the public recreational property a sign, at least six inches (6²) high and fourteen inches (14²) wide, stating:

MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS AND TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON OR IN PUBLIC RECREATIONAL PROPERTY. "

- OS

Can you guys show me an example of what properly posted actually looks like? I want to make darn sure I know.

I tried to follow the FAQ on uploading a picture but can only figure out how to upload a custom pic for the avatar, so I'm hoping when I click "Submit Reply" it changed to the picture you were wanting to see, Nikki.

This sign is posted on the gate to my hangar in Nashville.

image.php?u=3785&dateline=1244744650&type=profile

Edited by OngoingFreedom
Added image to post