Carry in WMA's bill HB 0961

From what I get you can carry it if you were bow hunting you just can't shoot the deer with it. He was saying it would have been PREVIOUSLY illegal.

The law still does not allows carrying of a firearm during bow hunting... As far as I can tell this is the only exception to when you can legally be in a WMA but can not carry a handgun for protection.

The bill to remove this language is still working it's way through the legislature the last time we checked.

Although it does appear the TWRA is going to give us HCP carry while bow hunting which is very interesting indeed.

Edited by JayC
  • Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The law still does not allows carrying of a firearm during bow hunting... As far as I can tell this is the only exception to when you can legally be in a WMA but can not carry a handgun for protection.

The bill to remove this language is still working it's way through the legislature the last time we checked.

Although it does appear the TWRA is going to give us HCP carry while bow hunting which is very interesting indeed.

Hmm... Interesting, veeeeery interesting.

Hmmmm...you may be right. I swear when I first looked at it I thought he had said "will not allow" instead of "will now allow"

The reason I thought that is, the bill that would have allowed you to be armed while bow hunting, did not pass. But perhaps they decided it wasn't necessary with the passage of this bill. :rolleyes:

I did the same thing and read it as "not" the first time. A little expectation bias I guess. :D

That's a great email you got from them! I hope TWRA updates their website soon concerning this. It still says that you can't carry unless you are hunting legally with it. I sent them an email to ask.twra@tn.gov about the outdated info on the website and got this response:

The law has just been changed and it is now legal to carry a handgun on a WMA if you have a handgun carry permit.

I did the same thing and read it as "not" the first time. A little expectation bias I guess. :rolleyes:

That's a great email you got from them! I hope TWRA updates their website soon concerning this. It still says that you can't carry unless you are hunting legally with it. I sent them an email to ask.twra@tn.gov about the outdated info on the website and got this response:

LOL...that is how I started. Sent them a question about how the new law would affect handgun carry, because of what was said on their website.

Hopefully they will update it soon. But at least we know. :D

Now appearing on the TWRA website, in the FAQs>Miscellaneous section:

May persons possessing handgun carry permits possess their handguns while on WMAs, PHAs, or refuges open to hunter access?

Recent legislative changes provide that individuals who possess a carry permit may possess their handgun while on TWRA wildlife management areas, public hunting areas, or refuges open to hunter access. The handgun may not be used for taking game unless specifically permited by TWRA regulation. This change will now allow those with carry permits to possess their handgun at times when previously it would not have been permissible such as during archery hunting. TWRA will apply this same interpretation to those possessing carry permits while hunting on private lands.

Now appearing on the TWRA website, in the FAQs>Miscellaneous section:

May persons possessing handgun carry permits possess their handguns while on WMAs, PHAs, or refuges open to hunter access?

Recent legislative changes provide that individuals who possess a carry permit may possess their handgun while on TWRA wildlife management areas, public hunting areas, or refuges open to hunter access. The handgun may not be used for taking game unless specifically permited by TWRA regulation. This change will now allow those with carry permits to possess their handgun at times when previously it would not have been permissible such as during archery hunting. TWRA will apply this same interpretation to those possessing carry permits while hunting on private lands.

:confused:

Thanks. I'm going to their site now to print that!

Guest m4coyote

I wonder if this will apply to the Big Frog Mountain Wilderness area? I hike and photograph in that area quite a bit, and on more than one occasion, have encountered some less than desirable folks there.

I wonder if this will apply to the Big Frog Mountain Wilderness area? I hike and photograph in that area quite a bit, and on more than one occasion, have encountered some less than desirable folks there.

I don't think this bill would apply there, but the parks carry bill would.

I say this because from what I can tell Big Frog Mountain Vicinity is a Recreational Area in a National Forest under the control of the US Forestry service.

The parks carry bill removed (if there was one) any state restrictions in National Forest.

However, even though there is no Federal law against carry in National Forest, Federal Law does allow park ranges to issue "special rules" for the parks under their control. Some rangers have used this to ban all firearms carry.

I would say the only way to know for sure is to check with the local ranger.

No problem.

I believe in another thread others have stated that have contacted Cherokee National Forest rangers and were advised carry was prohibited. But I have sent an e-mail to the address on their contact page. I will post any response I get.

Fallguy, I hope your luck with an email response is better than mine. I've tried 3 times over the last year about a couple of different issues, and have yet to get the first reply from that addy.

I did receive, however, a call from a CNF LEO returning a voice messsage I'd left her office, and was assured that their prohibition was solely due to the TWRA regs, and that their enforcement policies would mirror those of the TWRA.

One more e-mail from the TWRA

You can be on a WMA with a handgun if you are not hunting. This was the answer from our assistant director's office. I hope this answers your question.

Wonder if people at CNF need to be updated on TWRA policy? :screwy:

This is not true for all WMA'S. Some will not allow handguns at all. Some you are not allowed on unless you are a hunter with the correct permits. It would be wise to call each WMA Land Management Officer to find out.

You can be on a WMA with a handgun if you are not hunting. This was the answer from our assistant director's office. I hope this answers your question.

This is not true for all WMA'S. Some will not allow handguns at all. Some you are not allowed on unless you are a hunter with the correct permits. It would be wise to call each WMA Land Management Officer to find out.
This is reply to the quote, that Fall guy was quoting. Not Fallguy's response.

What I was quoting was an e-mail I got from TWRA. According to that person she spoke with the assistant director's office.

Other than WMA's that might also be on federal land, what WMA's would the statement from the TWRA not apply to?

Just to clarify, my orginal question said "as long as you can otherwise legally be on the WMA". So having a HCP doesn't mean you can carry on the WMA if you can't legally be there in the first place, but I think all on here understand that anyway. But as long as you can legally be in the WMA at the time, you can carry your handgun if you have a HCP. At least that is what I take the statements to mean.

Edited by Fallguy

Other than WMA's that might also be on federal land, what WMA's would the statement from the TWRA not apply to?

I am not sure, that was my point to use caution and ask first.

I am not sure, that was my point to use caution and ask first.

I got ya, but what I would ask is if they are aware of the statement from their director's office, not if it was ok.

I'm pretty sure that is not the case anymore... State owned land which is a WMA is open for carry if you can legal be inside the WMA, whether hunting or not (again as long as you can legally be there)... TWRA has gone so far as to say you can even carry while bow hunting (which may not be legal per the current law?)...

WMAs which happen to also be National Forrest controlled land, are a maybe since the Rangers can issue general orders prohibiting carry.

But, all state owned WMAs are required by law to allow carry if you're legally allowed to be on/in the WMA there is no exception to that law.

I'm pretty sure that is not the case anymore... State owned land which is a WMA is open for carry if you can legal be inside the WMA, whether hunting or not (again as long as you can legally be there)... TWRA has gone so far as to say you can even carry while bow hunting (which may not be legal per the current law?)...

WMAs which happen to also be National Forrest controlled land, are a maybe since the Rangers can issue general orders prohibiting carry.

But, all state owned WMAs are required by law to allow carry if you're legally allowed to be on/in the WMA there is no exception to that law.

This may be proven to be true, on all State owned WMA'S. Those WMA'S that are not State owned, but leased, such as some of the Federal parcels. Might have or does have different regs concerning just the handgun carry option.

What does this mean exactly? How does a person know if they are allowed to be on the WMA? I have been on several WMA's and could have been breaking the law by being there and did not know it. Are there some WMA's where people are not allowed?

What does this mean exactly? How does a person know if they are allowed to be on the WMA? I have been on several WMA's and could have been breaking the law by being there and did not know it. Are there some WMA's where people are not allowed?

Not knowing why you were on that WMA, were you hunting, or just out looking around. Was it during a Big Game Hunt? The Answer could be Yes, and maybe No.

For example During the Hog Hunt with dogs only on Catoosa WMA Jan. 7, 8, and 9th. The entire area is closed except Hog Hunters with dogs, that bought the Quota Permit for that hunt. Also parts of AEDC are closed during Dec. 1 - Jan 31 for the Waterfowl Refuge Area on Woods Resevoir.

So which one are you concerned about? I can tell you the answer.

Not knowing why you were on that WMA, were you hunting, or just out looking around. Was it during a Big Game Hunt? The Answer could be Yes, and maybe No.

In most cases I was geocaching and/or hiking. I was not hunting at any time. I don't even have a hunting liscense.

I did have a TWRA officer waiting for me one time when I returned from hunting a geocache on a WMA. He thought I was duck hunting on a day when that was not permitted. Without a shot gun I wonder if he thought I was throwing rocks at them. After I explained what I was doing there he was OK with it.