career choice

im looking for suggestions on a career choice. its time to do something with my life.

what jobs are in demand right now?

background: Im 21 years old, graduated high school, not in top 10% but real close. i took techincal classes in HS in entrepeneurship and basic keyboarding and word processing. worked for my father as a construction electrician since in was 16 technically, was on the job site and doing as much as i could since i was about 6.

i would say that im "competent" with computers. i can do basic stuff but i have no formal training. i dont know anything about programming or hardware.

i am a fast learner at whatever the task at hand is.

my interests are firearms, performance cars, electricity, and computers. i say this because i believe that i would be happier having a career in one of my fields of interest instead of a dead end job that i hate.

i am looking at taking some technical school courses then go to college and get an associates or bachelors degree in whatever field i choose.

i am thinking CNC-machine setup and operation, industrial robotics setup and operation, or industrial maintenance.

i have seen a very small amount of the type of work done in a machine shop and i think i would like that type of thing.

i knew i wanted to get training in a profession but basically loosing my construction job has pushed me over the edge.

thanks for any and all suggestions.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the military, become a man, learn a skill and build on it. It was a great start for me and gave me a direction to follow for the rest of my life. I'm sure at your age you feel you are a man and I mean no disrespect when I say become a man. You'll be suprised how much your outlook on life will change in just a few years. You can certainly mature and be successful without serving but you could consider it a shortcut.

You asked for suggestions, that's what worked for me.

actually have considered the military just not sure if im ready for that type of commitment, and i dont really know that much about it except what ive heard and i would trust all of it.

I think you just answered your own question. A career choice will require a commitment. You can't start anywhere at the top (unless your dad owns the company). You make a decision, work hard, and build your career.

The military will provide testing to determine what you would be best suited for. I served in the USAF. I was trained in electronics and that training provided a base that I have built on. My job today is still electronics related. The educational benefits following military service are pretty nice.

I think many young people go off to college with no idea of where they want to go in life. The military gives you an opportunity to figure that out and a means to pursue further education once you have a better idea of where you want to go.

I don't mean to sound like a recruiter but after raising a bunch of kids I can't help but try to give advice.

The choice, of course, is yours. We all make good choices and bad choices. I hope you make more good than bad. Good luck!

Guest TackleberryTom
i am thinking CNC-machine setup and operation, industrial robotics setup and operation, or industrial maintenance.

i have seen a very small amount of the type of work done in a machine shop and i think i would like that type of thing.

Sorry, I don't want to burst your bubble but, this is the industry I am in. This industry is leaving the US faster than our tax dollars. This field was fun while it lasted but current circumstances have made work scarce and the pay has dropped considerably. You could go to all the school you want only to end up with a $10/hr job. I am currently looking into a new career. Nashville PD is hiring recruits. If I were you I would enlist in the armed forces. They are giving great bonuses and training. Air Force is big on computers, I would look there first. Just my borrowed $.02.

I am currently looking into a new career. Nashville PD is hiring recruits.

I dont know if you meant for that to sound as if you were considering an LEO job in Nashville or not but, as a heads up Clarksville PD is hiring too. They post an ad on craigslist every few weeks.

Guest 70below

You could consider Environmental.........thats the field I'm in currently....typically we view people in the environmental field as "tree huggers" or greenpeace types. But there is a whole lot of environmental jobs that offer a lot of opportunity without strapping yourself to a bulldozer. You can carve a niche with little or lots of education or use it as a springboard towards more education. Its definitely always been a growth industry, and with the current administration, there is no move away from that.

Guest SUNTZU

^^^Don't listen to this hippie, he vacations in a redwood tree near a logging camp. :P

I'm considering becoming part of the medical field once we've moved.

Guest 70below
^^^Don't listen to this hippie, he vacations in a redwood tree near a logging camp. :P

Hey......like I can help the fact that I like my ladies a bit on the hairy side :shrug::P

Guest TurboniumOxide

Software engineering is coming back to America, and there is always more work than can be done. No offense to anyone that thinks they are good, but Americans are the best programmers. I have no idea why really, but it is true. I have been doing it for 33 years now. I started when I was 11, I was a pro by the time I was 16, and I make 200K/year now. I fell in love with it. My wife is a programmer too, but she is only making about 125K a year.

If I were you, I would go to community college, take an ASP.NET, VB BASIC or SQL programming class, and immediately get a job as a support programmer. You will start about 35-40k and advance quickly from there if you apply yourself.

I thought I just heard on the news a week or so ago that Microsoft was going to ship a lot of jobs out of the country because of something Obama has up his sleeve. Sorry I don't remember any more about it than that.

I'm considering becoming part of the medical field once we've moved.

Nice nurse's uniform, guy.

These are OR scrubs.

O R they?

Guest SUNTZU
Hey......like I can help the fact that I like my ladies a bit on the hairy side :shrug::P
You'll never lack for cordage, that's for sure. :P

I didn't know the need for programmers was on the rise.

Guest SUNTZU
Nice nurse's uniform, guy.

These are OR scrubs.

O R they?

I won't be paying any attention to MY scrubs. Good Lord, look at some of the nurses next time you're at the hospital...before your wife catches you.

Guest bkelm18

I'm currently looking for a new job as well. It's kind of a daunting task when you really get down to it. I should really go back to school and put the GI Bill to use, but I don't really know what I would do. Good luck on your search.

IMHO.

First figure out SPECIFICALLY what you are best suited for and COMMIT to it. I mean really commit...no half assed or half hearted attempts.

If I could go back in time I wouldn't have wasted my time in manufacturing and machining. Seems like that sector is shrinking fast and advances in CNC machining proceses are taking the skill out of it anyway. I would have gone medical, if you have the stomach and temperament for it, I don't. Or the military. I have always been into firearms and long range shooting as well as tactics and logical reasoning. I just never had the direction to get there.

IT is still going to be big. They may be outsourcing tech support to India, but they're always going to need people here. And everyone's reliance on computers and networks in increasing, not decreasing.

Skilled machinists are also in demand, although you may have to relocate to find the best jobs.

And according to Forbes, the hardest job to fill in America is "Engineer." If you're willing to invest four years learning the maths and sciences, you'll be starting at six figures.

As has been previously mentioned, give some serious thought to the .mil. You can get a damn good education and hands-on experience through the military, and it will look damn good on a resumé when you get out.

Guest TackleberryTom
I dont know if you meant for that to sound as if you were considering an LEO job in Nashville or not but, as a heads up Clarksville PD is hiring too. They post an ad on craigslist every few weeks.

Yes I am considering it. Pretty big paycut going to pd, but machine tool world is slow and I am fed up with it. Does Clarksville do POST training?(police academy)?? I thought they were only hiring experienced. Thanks for the Heads up.

Im kinda in the same boat you are. I am in college but in a major that is not very work friendly at the moment. I think that medical or law enforcement is the way to go. No matter what the economy is people are always going to be sick and are always going to need police. You can go to a community college and get your RN and find a job pretty easy and make pretty good money. Then get your foot in the door and get some further education or a specialized field and then make the big bucks. Or if you got the LE path pay for yourself to get certified and the get hired on to a department. If you are already certified then you become more attractive to a department because they dont have to pay to train you. Just my .02.

-Jason G

Engineering school is tough ... very tough and the drop out rate is high. If you stick with it, you have a career ahead of you that is only limited by your competence.

You will NOT start with a 6 figure income, I don't care where you work. However, if you make your bones and prove your ability, you can get to a 6 figure income within 7 years.

The degree will make you very flexible and you will be able to adapt to any career out there with proper mentorship. An engineer with people skills is a great combination and does help you go up the ladder quickly.