Tennessee Use Tax

Is everyone paying their Tennessee use tax? Shame on you!!

The use tax is levied upon all items received by you from out of state and upon which no sales tax was paid.

The tax is collected when all honest citizens fill out a use tax return at the end of the year and declare the value of all items subject to the tax.

Most of those mail order and internet order items from out of state cannot have sales tax levied because most out of state merchants are not registered with the state. However, you must declare the value of all these items and send the state a check.

When I last checked with the TN tax authorities, compliance with use tax was "awful". I can't imagine why red blooded honest Tennesseans would not comply with the spirit and letter of this law.

Order bullets and primers from Graf? you pay use tax

Order supplies from Dillon? you pay use tax

Order ammo from Black hills? you pay use tax

etc, etc, etc.

ARE YOU PAYING YOUR FAIR SHARE?:P

If you need the proper forms, email me and I will send them to you:D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Legally we are all required to. Not doing it would be illegal and advocating not doing it would be against our policy of not allowing discussions promoting illegal activities.

Gun owners are a very law abiding group, by and large. :P

Did I say Tennessee? Sorry, I meant California!;)

Speaking of taxes, Arkansas has a tax called " I don't pay enough tax". Anyone who feels guilty about not paying enough taxes can request the form, fill it out in any amount and attach a check.

No one working in the revenue department can remember anyone filing one.

Gotta love them arkies:p

Speaking of TN, they have a compact with all contiguous states to report big ticket items purchased by anyone in TN. I don't know know how well it works. If you go to NC and buy a house full of furniture, TN may get wind of it and want it's 9.25%. A large purchase of carpet in Dalton, GA will often get reported.

I have gotten to the point where I buy small items like toothpaste and lightbulbs off the internet at a 9.25% discount.

Edited by jaysouth
ememded dangling participle

Yep. It's the tax that everyone ignores. But if tstate economies continues to drag I wouldn't be surprised to see them get together and work on enforcing it as a way to either get the tax revenue from online purchases or steer people back towards brick & mortar stores.

Here you go:

Sales and Use Tax

Use Tax - The use tax is the counterpart to the sales tax. It is applied when merchandise (tangible personal property) is purchased from outside the state of Tennessee and imported into the state for use or consumption. The 45 states that impose a sales tax also levy a use tax

Due Dates: - Depending upon the frequency of your purchases, you may file quarterly or annually

Tax Rates: - same as the sales tax rate

I suppose that the flip side is where Tennessee does not really inform us very well that every resident has been able to take a state sales tax deduction either.

Wonder how many millions of dollars went unclaimed from this deduction over the past 4 years?

All the state taxing authorities started licking their chops at the thought of collecting sales tax from all purchases delivered to that particular state. The internet was going to bring them billions in newfound manna.

The problem is that so many cities, towns and special taxing jurisdictions have their own sales tax on top of the state tax. There is no way that anyone can look at a particular street address and figure what the sales tax is on an item going to that address.

The solution was a simple one, every state adopt a uniform sales tax percentage. That was not so simple, the uniform amount would be lower, in some cases, much lower that a state was now getting. So high tax states like TN, said "no way Jose". Back to squabbling. The longer they squabble and duck and weave to tax every single transaction, there will never be a uniform amount and there will not be an efficient means of collecting use tax from out of state sales.

So, the next time you order a new Les Baer, email me so I can send you the proper forms for the use tax.:lol:

I suppose that the flip side is where Tennessee does not really inform us very well that every resident has been able to take a state sales tax deduction either.

Wonder how many millions of dollars went unclaimed from this deduction over the past 4 years?

From what I am reading here I bet most of you didn't know Tennessee has an INCOME TAX.:lol:

It's not on wages just certain investment income. Called the Hall tax

And yes it is one of the biggest secrets in Tennessee. No it's not new. I believe it was enacted in the 20s or 30s.

Edited by greenego
aline text
From what I am reading here I bet most of you didn't know Tennessee has an INCOME TAX.:rolleyes:

It's not on wages just certain investment income. Called the Hall tax

And yes it is one of the biggest secrets in Tennessee. No it's not new. I believe it was enacted in the 20s or 30s.

Yepp it goes ignored a lot...mobody pays it. Not even sure that the average IRS auditor would catch it.

Yepp it goes ignored a lot...mobody pays it. Not even sure that the average IRS auditor would catch it.

It takes the state about 6 years to catch people.This was as of 2002. They, TN DEPT. of Revenue, gets copies of all our federal tax returns and if this income is on them, look and see if a state return was filed. And no there is not a three year limit on paying tax. Big brother is everywhere. :confused: