question on buying a used pistol

I am considering trading with a guy i dont know very well, if a person knows the serial number of a firearm and it was stolen wouldnt there be some kind of database with the guns reported stolen...and how would one access it. Its not some great price or anything just dont want to get burned. I called the local PD and they were of no help. sometimes i trade guns in on other models at gun stores and dont want to look like a thief in a year or two if that situation arised.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Best bet would be to meet the fellow at a local gun shop and have them handle the transfer. That way the gun gets run through the system.

I am considering trading with a guy i dont know very well, if a person knows the serial number of a firearm and it was stolen wouldnt there be some kind of database with the guns reported stolen...and how would one access it. Its not some great price or anything just dont want to get burned. I called the local PD and they were of no help. sometimes i trade guns in on other models at gun stores and dont want to look like a thief in a year or two if that situation arised.

Some folks say you can call your local PD and they'll run check.

Some say they'll only do it if you show up in person with the gun, so they can grab it if it's stolen.

Why don't you call yours and ask?

- OS

Guest bkelm18
Some folks say you can call your local PD and they'll run check.

Some say they'll only do it if you show up in person with the gun, so they can grab it if it's stolen.

Why don't you call yours and ask?

- OS

He already said he did that. :-x

I am not trying to talk you into just getting the gun and not worry BUT....

I have bought and traded about 60 guns over the past 2 years. Many I only met (emails and PMs) online. Some local from local papers. Some I have even just walked upon in a store parking lot with 2 others buying and trades and I jump in if they have what I want.

I guess I am saying Id not worry about it.

It’s a risk you take.

It is my understanding that possession of stolen property in Tennessee is a crime; whether you stole it or not. I say that based on a newspaper story I saw that the cops were searching a guy’s car in Shelbyville for drugs and found a stolen gun. They didn’t find any drugs and arrested him on the stolen gun.

When I was in Illinois possession of a stolen firearm had its own law and it was a felony. I believe it still is, but I’m not sure.

I wouldn’t worry about it if the seller can show you documentation of who he is, and you keep that information. If he doesn’t want to supply the info… pass. There isn’t any gun deal worth going to jail over.

Should a problem arise and you cooperate and point the cops to who you bought the gun from; you should have no problem. If you can’t or you won’t you are probably going to find yourself charged with a crime.

May I ask why do this?

So no one puts handcuffs on you and loads you into the back of a Police car for the trip to jail. :love:

I had a handgun gun for sale on this forum. I got a PM from a guy that had never posted on this forum. He told me in the PM he was from Alabama, but came to the Midstate area a lot and wanted to know when and where we could meet up.

WTF???? Who do you think this was? Maybe it was some innocent person looking to commit a crime or maybe it was the ATF. I don’t want to find out.

You can’t be expected to know if someone is a felon, but you damn well better know that they are of age and they are a Tennessee resident.

So no one puts handcuffs on you and loads you into the back of a Police car for the trip to jail. :love:

I had a handgun gun for sale on this forum. I got a PM from a guy that had never posted on this forum. He told me in the PM he was from Alabama, but came to the Midstate area a lot and wanted to know when and where we could meet up.

WTF???? Who do you think this was? Maybe it was some innocent person looking to commit a crime or maybe it was the ATF. I don’t want to find out.

You can’t be expected to know if someone is a felon, but you damn well better know that they are of age and they are a Tennessee resident.

I heard about that guy, he is (or was) an ALA cop trying to bust people, only problem was I think he is the one that got busted, seems what he was doing was illegal and got turned into the ATF froma guy out of Chattanooga or N Ga he tried the same stunt on.

No as far as I'm concerned, I ask to see HCP (proves you are over 21, a TN resident, and not a felon). I am not keeping track. I did write down a couple of tag numbers and veh. make and model when I did my first trades, but I got enough paperwork to deal with, I'm not going to try and make myself more.

Ive got a friend in the police dept that runs my numbers for me. I bought my first gun from a guy on this forum qualified with it for my permit THEN ran the numbers to find out it was stolen and in the database!!! I had to do the walk of shame and walk it down to the station aand turn it in immediately. I was out the money and the guy did not pay me back for any of it.

Ive got a friend in the police dept that runs my numbers for me. I bought my first gun from a guy on this forum qualified with it for my permit THEN ran the numbers to find out it was stolen and in the database!!! I had to do the walk of shame and walk it down to the station aand turn it in immediately. I was out the money and the guy did not pay me back for any of it.

What happened when the cops went to see the forum member?

I have no idea. I gave them his number and name. They said the gun was reported stolen from AZ, so they werent too hopeful about tracing it back. I told him to be ready for the cops to stop by with questions and that was the last I heard of it. I was too angry about the money and with myself to check back in. I do not trade or buy any longer without running the number first.