This is a colt 38 sp of a friends who left it in his car that I am trying to clean up, we really didnt want to reblue it but is there anything that will get the discoloring off and it has some rough spots, doesnt seem to be pitted but was totally neglected, I used wd40, leveraction cleaner and hops #9, not sure what else to use other than copper brush or sand papper (ouch)

COLT1.jpg

COLT2.jpg

COLT3.jpg

COLT4.jpg

COLT5.jpg

any ideas, Thanks, Scott

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebluing is the only thing that is going to fix that. Other option is use some fine brass wool and oil, take off what you can and then just shoot it.

Expensive booboo!

Pretty much what I told him after the tongue thrashing, was going to sell though, is the cabelas blueing kit worth doing, I mean does it look decent.

Pretty much what I told him after the tongue thrashing, was going to sell though, is the cabelas blueing kit worth doing, I mean does it look decent.

I purchased the same kit from Wal-Mart for an old rifle. It worked pretty good. It's not professional quality, but for $15 it was pretty nice.

Anything is far better than what you have on your hands. It will only continue to get worse with time if you do nothing.

Guest TurboniumOxide

It is pretty hammered. Personally, What I have done in the past is completely disassemble it, strip the blue, soak the parts in oil and begin the long process of block sanding and working with 0000 steel wool and fine sandpaper to get as much of the damage out as possible and stop the deterioration. Then I polish the entire gun to a mirror shine with rouge and ( sometimes media blasted to hide the pits ) then I get it satin nickel plated. I will sometimes spend more than the gun is worth to recover it.

Any non numbered parts that are badly damaged, I will replace if parts are available. Don't remember if the cylinder is numbered on this model.

It can be made presentable and it is a real shame to see a firearm go to waste.

Sell it to me :-)

Vans Gun Blue -under ten dollars. Only good Blue I have ever found,no smell when

dry. Miracle Products Milton WI ships free if pre paid also available other places.

You have prep work done only need to wipe down with acetone or cleaner.

Will never look near new but lots better. Four oz bottle good for several guns.

Guest Britestar

You can send it to checkmate in Brooksville Fl. the do all the blue and parkerized finishing for "Desert Eagle" or at least did last I cked which was about 5 years ago. They do the finest refinishing I have see the also custom gold plate. I used to own a gunshop in Brooksville and they did quite a bit of work for me there and I was never diappointed. If the gun is other wise sound it would be worth the investment.

You need to look on Gunbroker and see what these gun's are bringing. I sold my 4"

Diamond back many years ago and it is one of the biggest regrets I've had.

It came with Colt's Royal Blue Finish. I would see what sending it back to the factory for a new finish would cost.

This is a colt 38 sp of a friends who left it in his car that I am trying to clean up, we really didnt want to reblue it but is there anything that will get the discoloring off and it has some rough spots, doesnt seem to be pitted but was totally neglected, I used wd40, leveraction cleaner and hops #9, not sure what else to use other than copper brush or sand papper (ouch)

any ideas, Thanks, Scott

Scott:__________

I just finished drying my eyes and am now able to see to type this little note. I'm heartbroken, as im sure others are, at the condition of this great revolver. It's a pretty valuable commodity and if it's not pitted, is well worth refinishing. I would recommend Doug Turnbull at Turnbull Restoration (here: Doug Turnbull Restoration - antique and classic handgun restoration, rifle restoration, shotgun restoration, & custom gunsmith service.). He is the most highly regarded Colt firearms restoration guy i know. He can re-do the finish and it will look exactly like it did when it left the Colt factory.

Because the bluing is gone, there is simply no way to fix the gun, other than re-bluing or cold bluing. It looks like this colt is a 38 spl Diamondback. They are pretty sought after by Colt fanciers, and bring a pretty hefty price.

Finally, im like the other guys; if your buddy doesnt want to put any money in it, put it up for sale on the board. I guarantee it will go fast at a fair price.

Regards,

LEROY

I would send it back to Colt for a factory reblue job. It will be worth it. I have always wanted a Diamondback in .38 Special--had one get away from me (I went in at noon, someone put it on layaway at 11 am :popcorn:). With a reblue job from Colt, your friend can probably get as much as he has the guts to ask. Check here too:

ColtForum: Home

I worked out a deal with my friend and I am buying the gun to refinish myself, I figure I will use the 0000 steel wool to clean it up but I cant afford to reblue the way I would like for now so if I keep it oiled down would that not work for the raw material or does anyone know of something else to use, I have only had my safe a few months and had some surface rust on a few of my rifles so I keep them oiled frequently, that dang rust crap is like cancer.

You need to get the gun refinished. Steel wooling it and leaving it bare will only make the problem worse in the future.

DO NOT use some cheap, crappy rebluing kit from Wal MArt! This isn't a, it doesnt really matter the finish, modern semi auto. There will be no more of these guns. They were all finished in Colt's custom shop.

Their revolvers are prized and even refinished it will be worth something, but not if it's done with crap.

Something needs to be done with this revolver and soon. If you value a classic piece, please please sell it to someone who wants to send it off immediately and have the damage stopped and a new finish put on it. What a shame to have let a piece like this be treated in such a way.

Guest tlondon

I cant tell from the pics but if thats rust I see on it then you can try a product called navel jelly. Its a rust remover that a metal worker turned me on to. He said you put it on the rusted part and let it sit for a couple of hours and then rinse it off. Of course after rinsing it off it would need to be oiled extremly well.

You need to get the gun refinished. Steel wooling it and leaving it bare will only make the problem worse in the future.

DO NOT use some cheap, crappy rebluing kit from Wal MArt! This isn't a, it doesnt really matter the finish, modern semi auto. There will be no more of these guns. They were all finished in Colt's custom shop.

Their revolvers are prized and even refinished it will be worth something, but not if it's done with crap.

Something needs to be done with this revolver and soon. If you value a classic piece, please please sell it to someone who wants to send it off immediately and have the damage stopped and a new finish put on it. What a shame to have let a piece like this be treated in such a way.

+1. Send it to Colt!!!

I plan on having professionally refinished which is part of why I went ahead and bought it so he wouldnt refinish cheap and quick just to make an extra $100, that and a good price, but it will be a few weeks before I could afford (depending on the price) to do this, if I have to lclean it everyday is just what I will do. It is still a tight shootable gun with good groves in the barrel, well worth refinishing.