theres a superhighway of a trail behind me house...

Guest coldblackwind

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind
Well, if it eats then it sh...s. Can you find any scat? That would determine hog, goat or deer or skunk ape.

I was thinking the moss could have been flipped by an armadillo. The grass and deer looking prints could still be deer. I am sure that there are deer and armadillos in your area. It could be hogs, but less likely.

Thats a pretty small track for a deer, thats a quarter next to it, a fawn maybe, but its pretty small even for that. The armadillo idea I never would have thought of in a million years, I knew there were some in Ga, but didn't realize we had them in middle tennessee (we do, I was intrigued enough to confirm it), haven't heard of any around here specifically though.

I did find some scat, two different kinds in fact. One I believe is deer, the other I don't recognize, and have been unable to find any good guides on the subject. One was a small pellet, somewhat longer than it was wide (deer), the other is a ball, about an 3/4-1 inch around maybe, and I found very little of this.

Guest coldblackwind

I went up back yet again tonight, and after bushwacking, and trailblazing through stuff like this

thornq.jpg

for about an hour, I discovered I own some of the most inhospitable, roughest land I've ever set foot on, and a smart man will stay to the trails. I also found a rock with about a 2.5ft wide, 1ft tall hole dug under it, covered in spider webs, I decided I did NOT want to meet the tenant. Anyways, I did also take some useful pictures.

The orginal unidentified scat I found

smallscat.jpg

thats a quarter for scale, it glared a bit.

A larger scat pile I found out in the brush

scatpile.jpg

A scratched up rock, I've found numerous rocks up there with scratches like this on them, this particular one was at an angle though, and it looks like something stepped on it, and slipped making the scratches

rockscratches.jpg

A couple of the trails I was talking about, its hard to tell in the photos but they are about 2 and a half ft tall

trail1.jpg

trail2.jpg

a couple logs it tore up

toreuplog.jpg

toreuplog2.jpg

some of the torn up moss I originally found

moss1.jpg

moss2j.jpg

A hole it dug

holem.jpg

Where it laid down the grass in a big patch

laiddowngrass.jpg

Guest coldblackwind
Well, as mentioned, I would definately put a trail camera on it.

In the 8th picture from the top, is the ground trampled in the area of that fallen tree?

yup, torn up like most of the moss back there. Unfortunately I can't afford a trail camera. I still plan to try to get my parent's to use, but its in NY, so it may be a while before I can lay hands on it.

Guest coldblackwind

I wouldn't think they would cover this much area in one day. This is spread out over probably....7 acres or so, thats just whats on my land, I haven't been down the other side of the hill onto the neighbors land.

I wouldn't think they would cover this much area in one day. This is spread out over probably....7 acres or so, thats just whats on my land, I haven't been down the other side of the hill onto the neighbors land.

It could be a combination of armodillos and other animals. Armadillos are nocturnal and you could have several on your property and never see them. My mom would wake up and find her yard all dug up, looked like pigs rooting around. My brothers got on the roof at night with flashlights and 22's and killed several of them. Thing is they said they never saw them during the day. Other than that I am all out of guesses. Unless it is a midget bigfoot :screwy:

It could be a combination of armodillos and other animals. Armadillos are nocturnal and you could have several on your property and never see them. My mom would wake up and find her yard all dug up, looked like pigs rooting around. My brothers got on the roof at night with flashlights and 22's and killed several of them. Thing is they said they never saw them during the day. Other than that I am all out of guesses. Unless it is a midget bigfoot :D

Spotlighting for armadillos....you might be a redneck if......:)

Spotlighting for armadillos....you might be a redneck if......:)

Well me and my brothers can't help it.

I am right there with you.

You can't hide Redneck

Edited by memphismason
Guest coldblackwind
You hope. :)

well, i've been carrying an 870 loaded with 3" buckshot if you prefer. My opinion is that if it bleeds, 3 inch buckshot will kill it. Ya know, barring something ridiculous like a rhino, or elephant, pretty sure they're kinda rare around these parts.