theres a superhighway of a trail behind me house...

Guest coldblackwind

Guest coldblackwind

Alright, so I was up back earlier, and something has made one mother of a trail up there. Whatever it was, it laid every blade of grass it passed over down flat, a blind man could follow the trail. It made a bee line for anything edible, such as the black berries up there. Once it got down into the woods, it tore up most of the moss on the rocks, and took the bark off a couple of dead logs. It also laid the grass down flat in big circles, probably 10 ft or so across. Also, if it went through grass that was particularly tall, the grass was bent back over the trail, making almost a tunnel. Its definitely not deer, but I don't know what it could be. Its all rock, so theres no tracks. The best I could come up with is wild pigs maybe? Haven't heard anything about a bear in the area, but pigs could have flown under the radar I suppose. Anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

My vote is for pigs.

Guest Jcochran88

I wouldn't say pigs because they would be rooting up the grass fields. My vote would be bears or coyotes they will eat berries and dig for moles? Not sure, sounds like a good spot for a trail camera!

Guest coldblackwind
My brother swears there are Skunk Apes in Auburntown. :D

Ahh yes, skunk apes, why didn't I think of that?!

I'll have to see if I can snag my parents game cam, they aren't using it anyways, and i'm too broke to buy one. I'll have to go up there again tonight and see if I can't find some tracks too, but what isn't rock up there is weeds, there isn't a whole lot to make a track in. My girlfriends dad thought maybe someones goat got loose, which I guess is plausible, except I don't know of any nearby. I've found some stuff like this up there before, moss dug up, and big patches of laid down grass (i thought they were deer beds, and i'm sure some are), but I've never found such large quantities. Its always just been a little moss dug up here and there, or a small spot of grass laid down, like a deer bed.

Guest coldblackwind

well, I spent about 45 minutes nose to the ground, looking for tracks. What I discovered is that it likes to dig, and it likes to eat snails, theres shells all over. I also found what appears to possible be a small cloven hoof print. Oh yeah, and looking at where it went into some thick brush, it appears to be around 2-2.5 ft tall. I'm thinking its a pig, and i'm thinking it has piglets. My theory being that i saw some signs of it before, but now its got a litter and that's why I'm seeing A LOT of signs of it all of a sudden.

Guest Jcochran88
well, I spent about 45 minutes nose to the ground, looking for tracks. What I discovered is that it likes to dig, and it likes to eat snails, theres shells all over. I also found what appears to possible be a small cloven hoof print. Oh yeah, and looking at where it went into some thick brush, it appears to be around 2-2.5 ft tall. I'm thinking its a pig, and i'm thinking it has piglets. My theory being that i saw some signs of it before, but now its got a litter and that's why I'm seeing A LOT of signs of it all of a sudden.[/QUOTe

now all you need are some biscuits!

Guest coldblackwind

pigtrack.png

The one and only thing resembling a track enough to figure it is one, just south of the quarter I set down for scale. Sorry about the picture quality, took it with my phone.

Well, if it eats then it sh...s. Can you find any scat? That would determine hog, goat or deer or skunk ape.

I was thinking the moss could have been flipped by an armadillo. The grass and deer looking prints could still be deer. I am sure that there are deer and armadillos in your area. It could be hogs, but less likely.