Snakes and boots?

Guest GunTroll

Guest MERRILL
some say we dont have feral pigs in middle tennessee either...I have personally seen a whole herd of the crazy, ugly, hard to hit targets in Castailian springs! Me and my brother stomped through rocky and wooded area's in carthage(smith county) where there are alot of venomus snakes and never saw one or even heard a rattle, I think they usually hear you coming around here! I have always dreaded seeing one and luckily havent yet even in collinwood where we now go to hunt. their there but I think if your careful/aware/ bumbeling and loud going through the woods like we do you should be fine.

Ghooge, have you ever seen ears on a snake? They cannot hear. They can detect vibrations and odors and some,pit vipers, can detect heat.

Guest Traumaslave

If you are worried about weight, buy some snake proof gators/spats. I wear gators for hiking but, they aren't "snake proof". They "are" something besides my hide for the snake to bit on.:)

Cottonmouths have been seen in the Dover/LBL area of middle Tennessee. I don't wear snake boots while out and about. Just don't feel the need for the expense. I have seen plenty of snakes, but no issues with them.

Dave

Edited by Hunting101
Guest Muttling

It's been about 10 years, but I've seen a couple of cotton mouths in East Tennessee as well.

As for other poisonous, it's almost all copper heads for me and I see one or two every year. I don't think I've seen more than a dozen rattlers in Tennessee woods and I've been hunting for 40 years.

As poisonous snakes go, copper heads are pretty mild. They're not very aggressive and their venom is so weak that hospitals usually do little more than admit for observation on a adult who's been bitten.

You guys ever see many snakes while your out hunting? The venomous kind that is. While I was stationed at Ft. Stewart GA I never saw any but often knew they were there. Had to be. It was swampy and perfect habitat for some creepy crawlers. Why I ask is I'm looking to get some warmer weather hunting boots for my upcoming move to your state. My CO cold weather boots will probably burn my feet up in your weather. I'm thinking of your fall deer and spring for turkey hunting. Would you recommend me getting a snake boot? Or a waste of time? I do watch were I step and hardly ever just stumble around in the woods unaware of my surroundings. Are snake boots worth it? Guess it would be if a snake were to strike and not puncture flesh. What say you?? Do you have many venomous snakes in middle TN?

Thanks

GT

Ft Stewart? You poor thing.:P:D:poop:

Yep, cotton mouths are alive and well in southern middle Tennessee. I've seen plenty over the years in Wayne Co. Rattlers and water mocs as well.

Most people won't believe we have scorpions in Tennessee either but I have been picking them up and bringing em back to show many times. We caught two this weekend.

We have also found one huge hairy spider that I swear was a tarantula but can't confirm as my brother stomped it into slime.

I have pretty much switched over to the calf high rubber boots for all seasons now. The first reasons were they are water proof and don't hold scent the way leather and the new nylon fabric ones do. In the early bow season when it's still in the 80's and 90's sometimes, they will help act as snake boots as well as act as a first layer of prevention against chiggers and ticks. Unless it's 10 degrees, they work well even in the cold.

I would suggest a set of these as a "general purpose" boot for Tennessee.

Here's the Red Head brand close to what I have. They now advertise them as "snake boots"

RedHead 16'' Waterproof Rubber Snake Boots for Men

I have pretty much switched over to the calf high rubber boots for all seasons now. The first reasons were they are water proof and don't hold scent the way leather and the new nylon fabric ones do. In the early bow season when it's still in the 80's and 90's sometimes, they will help act as snake boots as well as act as a first layer of prevention against chiggers and ticks. Unless it's 10 degrees, they work well even in the cold.

I would suggest a set of these as a "general purpose" boot for Tennessee.

Here's the Red Head brand close to what I have. They now advertise them as "snake boots"

RedHead 16'' Waterproof Rubber Snake Boots for Men

Nice, I might get a pair of those when mine wear out.

I wear rubber boots year-round as well.

Guest GunTroll

Yep big fan of the ribber boots. Mine sit idle most of the time out here in CO. Not so great for up and down mnts. I have used them to cross a river right at camp and then switch over to more hiker friendly boots. You guys would call the river a creek but thats what we call them out here. Rubber it is. Now got to get some that aren't 2000 gram insulated. Don't think I'll need that much for your weather. Guess I should call it my weather soon. Be there in two weeks!

Yep, cotton mouths are alive and well in southern middle Tennessee. I've seen plenty over the years in Wayne Co. Rattlers and water mocs as well.

Most people won't believe we have scorpions in Tennessee either but I have been picking them up and bringing em back to show many times. We caught two this weekend.

We have also found one huge hairy spider that I swear was a tarantula but can't confirm as my brother stomped it into slime.

Fact: cottonmouth = water moccasin

• 2 years later...
Guest Ratty1978

Guest Ratty1978

Water Moccassin And Cottonmouth are same thing and we do not have any in middle TN especially Percy Priest , no confirmed cases per TWRA

Guest Ratty1978

No cotton mouths in middle tn for sure I've been collecting and removing snakes for years in this area it's part of my business and never has anyone proved to me or have I found one in this area!

ThreadNecromancy.jpg

;)

Well, the truth has a way of emerging over time. :)

But since it's reopened:

It's been about 10 years, but I've seen a couple of cotton mouths in East Tennessee as well....

Knoxville Zoo, maybe.

...Most people won't believe we have scorpions in Tennessee either but I have been picking them up and bringing em back to show many times.

Now THIS is true, they are quite common over here. I stepped on one in my youth, like a wasp sting that didn't go away for a couple hours. There were a couple of places near the camp on Watts Bar I counseled at some where there were hundreds, anytime you wanted to flip over pieces shale rubble pile. Was standard part of the little nature tour we'd take the kids on.

- OS