Carry in Parks - What a Crock!

[rant]

I knew that virtually every town of any size in TN would ban the park carry.

Doesn't even matter if their signs are correct or not, they'll still run you in for it.

I wish the legislature hadn't even passed this if and until they had support to do it without exemption. What good is a state "law" if you can opt out of it?

There probably are some statutes, but I can't think of any right off, where individuals, businesses or local governments can choose NOT to honor it. Only a couple of handgun carry statutes get that rare distinction.

What a crock.

[/rant]

- OS

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Can I have an opt out sign for my seatbelt?

Sun, that's awesome! Make one for helmet laws too. Make one for my 1040EZ dated 4/15/10 while you're at it.

Guest Phantom6

I guess sitting around and bitching and moaning about it is one way to deal with it. Or, you could let the folks that are going to make this decision know how you feel as well as mobilize others to do the same. Try the links posted here to get your message out to the ones that matter and tell all your friends to do the same. I don't even live in Knoxville but I've writen them because I spend money in their city and as such they ought to pay attention to me.

Now, if they choose not to do the right thing and allow me to exercise my constitutional rights, well the next time some one is hurt by a mugger or rapist in the park I'm going to get in touch with the victim(s) and strongly suggest that they sue the city because the city refused to allow for the carrying of firearms by licensed individuals thereby contributing to the incidence of the crime perpetrated. There is precedence for that and I'm sure that after the city writes a few checks with lots of zero's on them they will revisit the idea of park carry.

See? Plan "A" and plan "B".

Local goverment already has the right to post other property it owns, city hall, police dept, fire dept and so on. All this really does it let them do the same for parks as they can any other property they own.

Yes, I would have rather seen all parks legal and no opt out, but it just would not have passed like that.

At the risk of sounding selfish, it looks like I will be able to carry in any of the local parks I will normally go to. That would not have been possiable if the bill would have failed.

I have to agree with Phantom6 some. If you don't want your community to opt out...you need to talk with the people that control that. I have talked with county commisioners of where I grew up and city councilmen of Jackson, where I visit and Milan where I live now. One voice probably won't make a difference, but one of several is better heard.

Dang man you're fast LOL

I'm scared. I mean that coming from the Jackson Sun, is it because of the layoff's they're having or it something up. Never thought I'd hear that from them to be honest.

If a newspaper can print some common sense like that, it should be cliped and sent to every other paper and council in this state

We need a better law next year. When Michigan passed park carry, there was no opt-out option for local governments. After all, parks are PUBLIC PROPERTY, and who has the power to tell private citizens that their rights are restricted on property they own in common? Nobody!

I agree it should had been all or nothing. I know the opt out clause was so it would pass but it's done very little good as it seems the majority are opting out.

I know some will say it's a start but I think it was a set back myself.

Guest SUNTZU
I guess sitting around and bitching and moaning about it is one way to deal with it. Or, you could let the folks that are going to make this decision know how you feel as well as mobilize others to do the same. Try the links posted here to get your message out to the ones that matter and tell all your friends to do the same. I don't even live in Knoxville but I've writen them because I spend money in their city and as such they ought to pay attention to me.

Now, if they choose not to do the right thing and allow me to exercise my constitutional rights, well the next time some one is hurt by a mugger or rapist in the park I'm going to get in touch with the victim(s) and strongly suggest that they sue the city because the city refused to allow for the carrying of firearms by licensed individuals thereby contributing to the incidence of the crime perpetrated. There is precedence for that and I'm sure that after the city writes a few checks with lots of zero's on them they will revisit the idea of park carry.

See? Plan "A" and plan "B".

Thank you, Sahib.

I guess sitting around and bitching and moaning about it is one way to deal with it....

That's the way I chose to in this post.

Merely that, a bitch ... hence the "rant" tags.

I agree that a lawsuit by an unarmed HCP holder harmed in a park may be the most effective way to get law changed. Or a lawsuit filed on his behalf - unfortunately, may take a couple of martyrs to get action.

- OS

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I knew this was going to happen as soon as I heard about the opt out amendment. For me, the bill became pretty much useless at that point because I knew Davidson and Rutherford counties would opt out.

Guest HexHead
I agree it should had been all or nothing. I know the opt out clause was so it would pass but it's done very little good as it seems the majority are opting out.

I know some will say it's a start but I think it was a set back myself.

Turns out the local parks part of the bill was the "bridge too far". They should have just gone for the State parks and left it at that. In fact, I think the local parks issue may have helped solidify the opposition to the restaurant carry bill. Just one more thing to get people all worked up over and it's gained us NOTHING.

Turns out the local parks part of the bill was the "bridge too far". They should have just gone for the State parks and left it at that. In fact, I think the local parks issue may have helped solidify the opposition to the restaurant carry bill. Just one more thing to get people all worked up over and it's gained us NOTHING.

I understand what you are saying, however, even as a Murfreesboroan, I would rather be where we are now--knowing which six local people we need to "dis-elect" next election--rather than still having them stand behind "shield" of state law saying, "Of course I support your rights...truuuuuust me." Not arguing, just a different perspective. ;)

Even though so far it looks like Jackson is going to allow carry in the park but I still wished it was statewide.

Restaurants are a private business I can see giving them an out but parks are owned buy the public

I disagree, some local parks will be open to carry... which is better than no open parks...

Also, it helps identify people at the local level who up until now have been able to claim their pro-2A but have proven they're not really... These local officers are normally won or lost on a couple of hundred votes... We now gave the ability to rate and publish lists of anti-2A officials...

I disagree, some local parks will be open to carry... which is better than no open parks...

Also, it helps identify people at the local level who up until now have been able to claim their pro-2A but have proven they're not really... These local officers are normally won or lost on a couple of hundred votes... We now gave the ability to rate and publish lists of anti-2A officials...

I agree...

At worse your local park is no different on Sept 1 than it is today.

When all goes well in the local parks that allow carry....you will only have to convince a majority of the 5 to 9 (or however many) of your local city councilmen or county commissioners to lift the ban on carry in your local parks instead of the TN legislature.

Let me make a suggestion…

I’m involved with friends and family trying to get carry privileges for Illinois. Try to make your arguments without using the words “Rights†or “2nd Amendmentâ€. Because the minute those words come out of your mouth; you change the focus of the discussion. This is not about rights it is about privileges.

Just like Illinois, Tennessee does not recognize 2nd amendment rights beyond your property line. If they did we would not be having this discussion. No matter how a city decides on park carry, 97% on the citizens will be committing a crime if they carry a gun there.

I’m not saying to give up your battle for 2nd amendment rights. But if you turn this into one of them; we lose. This is about privileges for a “special groupâ€.

Here's an interesting thought but it might strike a sore spot with some. I know many including me are against the Commercial Appeal's HCP database but since they wont take it down and the TN. legislator hasn't passed legislation making them take it down, then use the damn thing against them on a local level. I checked Kingston Springs out of curiousity and there's alot more HCP holders than I ever thought there was, many I know. Now I haven't heard anything about Kingston Springs opting out yet but I'm keeping my ears and eyes open. Anyway, if they do then it's time to talk to some that I know fairly well about being more involved in local politics and work to fire the ones who are not 2nd Amendment friendly.

Like I said that database is a sore spot for many but since it's there, I would like to see it backfire on the anti's. Politics is a dirty game and the only way to compete is to clime down in the mud with them and fight dirty ourselves.