Stand question?

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I looked through the forum/thread pages and didn't see anything that might have already covered this.

I'm coming from CO where no one uses stands or at least to my knowledge no one uses them here. What are some recommendations from you guys. I'm thinking climber since I'll be on a lot of public and or other people's permission given property. Got any suggestions on brand name or model? I'm about 200 pounds 6ft 1in. I have never used a climber. Never needed to. All my eastern hunting has been on private land with ladder stands.

Thanks,

GT

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rem_700

As for a climber I would reccomend a Summit Titan! Its the biggest climber they make and man is it comfortable. I had the Summit viper their standard climber,but im 6'4 240lbs and needed a little more room.I use the summit titan and just your basic 15ft ladder stands.But if your going to get a climber,be sure its a summit!

Guest Jcochran88

I love the summit's but if you are on a long hike they are cumbersome to haul. I would recommend looking at the lone wolf climbers or ol'man.

I hunt from\off the ground as often as I can, but when I am on public hunting land or anywhere that I don't know what kind of idiots I might be hunting in the same woods with I like to be up off the ground, usually about 20 ft up. I figure that way I am less likely to be shot by someone who uses the spray and pray method for shooting at deer. At least if I am up in the air and if they are shooting ground level or from a stand down towards the ground then I feel less likely to have bullets flying by me!

But that is just my opinion.....

I like the summit climbing stands, I have one, forget the model, but it is very comfortable, I can sit in it several hours very comfortably. I also have owned API stands and they are equally comfortable, but the chain they use for climbing has shrink wrap on it and afer several uses it needs to be replaced. Once I got the summit I don't use the API anymore....

I would recommend a climber for sure. Get something light that can be carried as a backpack. Some climbers are better suited for bowhunting than others. If you bowhunt, then make sure you get one that will allow you to face away from the tree (most new ones do these days). You also want to make sure that the stand does not get in the way when drawing a bow.

Summit climbers are the best I have used. I like the Viper or the Razor.

Cabela's -- Summit Viper SS Treestand

There are pros and cons to climbers. It gets annoying to have to pack it in, set it up - hunt - pack it up, and pack it out every time you hunt. On the other hand it's nice to have the mobility that a climer offers. I've packed mine into some pretty remote swamps in Eastern MD and Souther GA.

Another option is a ground blind. I use one sometimes during the bow season. Some can be easily carried on your back and pop up easily. I've had deer walk within arms length of my blind before - kind of freaky if you're not expecting it. I just have a cheap one from Wal Mart - The "Dog House" by Ameristep. It is not the best, but it works. You just shoot right through the camo mesh windows.

Edited by Batman
I looked through the forum/thread pages and didn't see anything that might have already covered this.

I'm coming from CO where no one uses stands or at least to my knowledge no one uses them here. What are some recommendations from you guys. I'm thinking climber since I'll be on a lot of public and or other people's permission given property. Got any suggestions on brand name or model? I'm about 200 pounds 6ft 1in. I have never used a climber. Never needed to. All my eastern hunting has been on private land with ladder stands.

Thanks,

GT

Summitt or API

Another summit fan!

We have the nice feature that the land we hunt on is either owned by family or we lease it so we know who is supposed to be on it. We have buddy stands (built for two) in several locations so we can take our young hunters with us and several more standard ladder stands in areas over the farms so you can get in quick and not carry anything but you and your firearm or bow and gear pack. We also all scout the areas and have Summit stands we pack in to get to those areas that are a little tougher to reach.

If you want your chance at the bigger deer, you need to be off the ground and do good scent control.

I need to get a Titan myself. Those are sweet. I'm still using a summit python from a few years back. Need to pass that down to a son.

Guest clutepc

I just bought a Summit Razor, never hunted from it but been up a couple trees with it, light and easy to work up a tree.

This year will be my first year deer hunting so it should be interesting all the way around.

i will be building one stand and useing two climbers this year...dont know the name brand on them tho.

The one I gave to you is a guide gear that was bought from "the Sportsman's Guide" magazine. Deffinitely not top of the line but I think it is built well. I paid $100 for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest walkingdeadman
The one I gave to you is a guide gear that was bought from "the Sportsman's Guide" magazine. Deffinitely not top of the line but I think it is built well. I paid $100 for it.

Technically you didn't give it to me (which I would never expect you to). I took it to recover the seat for you.Ha. It is at my house whenever you wanna come and get her.

I think Lone Wolf stands are the cat's meow. I have to hunt alot of public land which means that I have to walk a long way with my stand on my back. I want something light and small. I suffer through sitting in a small stand to have a lighter stand to carry. If I had to hunt out of a nice big Summit, I would have to hunt close to the truck. They are great to sit in all day, but I am too short to carry them for miles and miles.

I have a light weight summit loc-on/climber hybrid that I use with buck steps for bow season. I have an ol man stand that weighs alot but is comfortable. I use it on private property when I can leave it in the tree.

Technically you didn't give it to me (which I would never expect you to). I took it to recover the seat for you.Ha. It is at my house whenever you wanna come and get her.

Oh I thought I did. Well it is yours if you want it. I exceed the weight limit for it, and falling out of a tree isn't high on my "to do" list.

So take this as your "Technical" whatever...It is yours, buddy. :D

Guest walkingdeadman
Oh I thought I did. Well it is yours if you want it. I exceed the weight limit for it, and falling out of a tree isn't high on my "to do" list.

So take this as your "Technical" whatever...It is yours, buddy. :)

Well I sure appreciate it. I will make it up to you one day. Maybe shoot me one from it this year...we will see.