AVG or Avast?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used AVG for several years. Updates nearly daily if not daily. It occasionaly catches something for me so I know it's working. I've never experienced any virus problems on any computer I've used it on. I'm currently running it on three machines. Best of all it's free! AVG :D:up::P

Guest justme
Which is a better virusware?

Anybody.....Bueller....Buellar....

I always used McAfee myself--always worked better for me. I tried both Avast and AVG--neither worked for me as good as the McAfee AV....

Reason I ask is Im switching some files from one machine running AVG to another machine running Avast,and Avast caught a couple viruses right off the bat.

So now I'm just wondering if Avast is better?

Reason I ask is Im switching some files from one machine running AVG to another machine running Avast,and Avast caught a couple viruses right off the bat.

Hmmmm. Maybe i should scan my machine with something other than AVG to see if t has missed anything.

Yes.

My wife's lap top runs AVG, and it always worked pretty well, but lately the upgrade nag screen at startup is getting annoying. That and the way it bogs the systme when it updates.

I used AVAST in the past, but found it weak.

Personally, I run Linux on MY laptop now, SO..no issues whatsoever.

Guest abailey362

we just started carrying CA at work and it specs out real well. They do a lot of govt security work and big business and are just starting to go after the commercial market. Lots of focus towards spyware and worms, big section of it for identity theft protection.

It costs up front, but is free after rebate if you buy a computer, router, or printer with it.

I have been using macafee and ad-aware and haven't had any issues, but also don't go to many questionale websites either

Guest Fenris

For spyware, I like to run both Ad-Aware and Spybot. I used to clean up people's computers as a side gig and I found that they had about a 90% overlap, but each would miss stuff the other would pick up. Scans seemed to run faster if I ran Ad-Aware first, then Spybot, YMMV.

I like AVG as well.

we just started carrying CA at work and it specs out real well. They do a lot of govt security work and big business and are just starting to go after the commercial market. Lots of focus towards spyware and worms, big section of it for identity theft protection.

It costs up front, but is free after rebate if you buy a computer, router, or printer with it.

I have been using macafee and ad-aware and haven't had any issues, but also don't go to many questionale websites either

When I supported large enterprise networks, we stayed as far away from CA products as possible. That company is incredibly accomplished at buying a good product, sucking the life out of it, milking the revenue for all it's worth and running it into the ground.

I remember one time helping a company prepare for their DOD certification and accreditation to handle classified data ... we were on a conference call going over the various methods that would be utilized to meet the DOD's requirements for a secure network and systems. This company happened to be a CA vendor and wanted to use CA products for everything, including things that they were not designed to do. In one phone call the DOD reps stated, "CA is not on our approved vendor list. Don't ask again."

My professional opinion ... the McAfee product is excellent. In an enterprise environment I have also supported Symantec, CA and a couple of other weird ones.

However there are so many variants of malware and so many really talented and financially motivated people writing them that nothing is going to be able to keep up.

Many of the serious malware break-ins that I've been recently aware of involve attacks that are many days, if not weeks or months, ahead of what the anti-malware companies are able to respond to.

I think three years ago I was consulting at an insurance company and we discovered an active virus spreading between Christmas and New Years. Turns out the thing had gotten in after Thanksgiving and just hadn't taken off yet. Because both people who had regular contact with the AV provider were on vacation, it took us nearly all day to get them to accept the sample files. It then took another half day for a "supplimental signature" ... another "supplimental" was sent to us the next day. I think it took that vendor over 72 hours from us reporting it to them putting the signature in their general release. Consider that it might then take a company multiple days, or even a couple of weeks, to get every system updated... there is no way to win via the old fashioned signature based AV.

That said, I run AVG on my XP laptop and NOTHING on my Macs!

BTW, AV software does NOT make a system or the data on it secure.

If anyone cares, I am a CISSP (look it up).

Yeah,me either!

I believe Ill try this Avast for awhile to see how well it does.

I also like running Ad-Aware,Spybot,with Sygate firewall.