How Do They Figure The Score?

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest TNDixieGirl

I read on another forum that most people that have never fired a pistol before don't pass the shooting portion of the carry permit class. Don't know if that's fact or theory, but it got me to thinking.

I passed my shooting test with a score of 97 and had not fired a pistol before. How did I end up with a 97? Does it mean some of my shots didn't hit the target? Does it mean they hit it, but not in the right spot? Is it figured by grouping? We fired 50 rounds if that helps.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I believe it's a percentile thing based off of 50 rounds fired. That means that 48.5 of your shots made it into the black. I've never seen someone mark a shot as being with 1/2 point, but maybe you had one that barely nipped the black and was partially outside, so the instructor gave you partial credit for it.

:rolleyes:

Well, I have NEVER seen anyone fail the shooting part of the permit class, so I wonder about that other forum posting. In addition, I have found with many students who are new to shooting that they do better than people who've had some experience. (Fewer bad habits to unlearn, more willingness to learn, etc.) This is especially true with female shooters. I remember when I took my permit class, the woman next to me had never fired a gun before that day and hit 100% on the shooting test.

I don't know how you got a 97%, since a hit is a hit, and anything on the line counts as a hit. It should have been 96 or 98%. In some classes, such as NRA Basic Pistol -which qualifies as a TN permit class if you show the TN video, the scoring system is different (harder) and you could get an odd number percentage with 50 shots fired.

Some scoring systems (using targets with X, 10, 9, 8, 7,... rings) give more point 'weight' to the hits which are closer to center... This method is preferred, but the TN requirment is simply to hit the black portion of a B26 (I think?, or B-27?) silhouette.

Either way, you passed with an excellent score! Congrats!

Guest TNDixieGirl

I may be saying the wrong score then. It could have been 96 or 98. I just remember being SO glad I made above a 95 (I have no idea why I thought 95 was a significant number) that I grabbed my certificate and ran like the wind. :) And to tell you a secret, one reason I enjoyed it so much was because the guys in the class that had that whole macho rambo wannabe attitude and made it sound like they could do this shooting test in the dark, didn't do as well. When the instructor asked who in the class had fired a pistol before, I was the only one that couldn't raise my hand. Talk about odd woman out. Now I'll go check out the link you left. Thanks ya'll.

I was very curious as to the scoring of the shooting test. I scored 48/48. Not that I am good shot, heck for all I know I may have missed the target completely but given credit as the center of mass of the target was blown out. A sherrif's deputy came up and counted holes in my target and came up with my score. I can't remember how many holes I counted but I could not make definite confirmation of 48 holes.

The lady shooting next to me passed with a high score. She was about 70 years old I guess and claimed to have never shot a gun before. There was one guy, very old and to me and appeared incompetent in gun handling (kind of reminded me of " the shakiest gun in the west"). He flunked. He was shooting some old looking big wheel gun. I heard the instructor tell him to hang around and they would get him passed. They were going to loan him a Ruger auto loader target gun.

I honestly do not know how you flunk the thing.

• Administrator

I think in order to flunk the shooting test, you have to put two rounds into the instructor.

Bob-E, one of the members here, told me that when he shot his qualifier the instructor counted up one extra shot on his target. They determined that it wasn't the same size hole as all of his other shots and that it matched the size holes that the woman shooting next to Bob-E was putting all over her paper. :)

They determined that it wasn't the same size hole as all of his other shots and that it matched the size holes that the woman shooting next to Bob-E was putting all over her paper. :)

Bless her heart. She might have been thinking that her "Target" was down, but was still considering your friends "Target" a threat! LOL!!!

Guest Medic908

Our class shot the TN P.O.S.T. target and anything inside the rings (no shots in the white) counted. 50 rounds similar to what was described in the link provided above.

The state doesn't really set forth an across the board scoring system.

We use a B-27 target and any hit on the silhouette counts. Whether it is in the scoring rings or in the pelvis it still counts the same. Obviously hits on the white part of the paper are misses and do not count, but anything on the "bad guy" counts.

I can't comment for any other schools , that is just how we do it at Sportsman's Supply in Chattanooga.

The scoring system we use is very similiar. We fire 50 rounds, even though the State says 48. (Why 48, and not 50, as that's what boxes of ammo contain is a bit of a mystery to me. My only guess is they wrote the standard with 6-shot revolvers in mind, and figured 48 was good enough. Another reason to use 50 shots, is the ease of figuring out percentages.)

We use a target similiar to a B-27, and any hits on the body get counted.

I've seen several people fail. Most of those people were using guns that were too much for them. In that event, we give them a .22, and let them retry. I've only seen a couple people fail the second time. In those cases, I asked them to practice on their own and come back another day. (I can't make the rest of my students wait while one person tries and tries repeatedly.) Most of those who fail are either in poor health, refuse to follow instruction, or are just too afraid of the gun for some reason.

Guest Phantom6

Tungston is correct. A controlled pair into the instructor will fail you every time in my classes. As I explain to my students in our safety meeting prior to our range time, if I survive the volly I will return fire. No one has ever failed range qualification more likely due to the fact that I teach the course simultaneously with the NRA Basic Pistol course rather than my threat. :rolleyes:

Guest GlocKingTN

In my class, you got 1 point for the holes outside the black part of the target, and 2 points for all holes inside the black part of the target. Which meant, if you got all 50 shots inside the black part, 2x50=100 points. We had 2 people in my class score a 100! One of those was my buddy that went with me to the class. The other was an ex-military guy. We also has 1 person fail the shooting part!

Guest Phantom6
In my class, you got 1 point for the holes outside the black part of the target, and 2 points for all holes inside the black part of the target. Which meant, if you got all 50 shots inside the black part, 2x50=100 points. We had 2 people in my class score a 100! One of those was my buddy that went with me to the class. The other was an ex-military guy. We also has 1 person fail the shooting part!

Yo, GlocKingTN. Do I understand you correctly? Assuming that there are 50 rnds in this target ( I lost count) this is a passing target?-

b275075.jpg

So let me get this straight... One could theoretically pass the qualification by only hitting the silhuette 10 times? :D

assuming that:

50 non-hits = 50 points

10 hits = 20 points

Wow... I don't know what to say about that.

Guest GlocKingTN

Let me try to break it down for you guys. Each bullet hole in the black part of the target shown above counted as 2 points. Each bullet hole in the white part outside of the black part counted as 1 point. So if you fired ALL 50 rounds inside the black part, that would equal 100 points.

If you got 45 holes in the black part, and 5 holes in the white part, that would be 2x45=90 and 5x1=5 for a total of 95 ponts TOTAL! Because 90+5=95!

Am I getting through here?:D

Guest GlocKingTN
Yo, GlocKingTN. Do I understand you correctly? Assuming that there are 50 rnds in this target ( I lost count) this is a passing target?-

b275075.jpg

Precisely Phantom6! All that is required is 70 points to pass! So actually you need to hit 35 in the black part to pass! Because 35x2=70!!!

Precisely Phantom6! All that is required is 70 points to pass! So actually you need to hit 35 in the black part to pass! Because 35x2=70!!!

Didn't you say that shots that missed the black were worth 1 point? Wouldn't that make it possible for a shooter to pepper the white 40 times, and hit the black 10 times, and still get 70 points?

I'm willing to wager the targets they used weren't quite the same. They probably were the type which have a black 9 through X area, with the remainder of the person being white.

Guest Phantom6

That's just plumb freakin' scary. :D Plumb ... Freakin' ...scary!

The lesson plan discusses in direct terms the idea of shooting to center mass. I have never had a student that shot that poorly. Not even a guy in one of our classes that was quickly (but lovingly) dubbed "Mr. Shaky" by our staff.

Just plumb freakin' scary. :stir:

Guest Phantom6
I'm willing to wager the targets they used weren't quite the same. They probably were the type which have a black 9 through X area, with the remainder of the person being white.

I'll be the first to admit that every day is a learning experience for me because I'm at least smart enough to figure out that there is more stuff that I don't know than there is stuff I do know and there's lots of things I have never seen and I enjoy learning new things each and every day but that is certainly a description of a B-27 target unlike any that I have ever seen. I've seen a few. :D