How Do They Figure The Score?

Guest TNDixieGirl

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the first to admit that every day is a learning experience for me because I'm at least smart enough to figure out that there is more stuff that I don't know than there is stuff I do know

If you ever forget that, it's time to retire. I learn something new about my job every day.

Guest Match223

Hi y'all, new guy here.

We shot the IDPA-CB cardboard targets at Oak Ridge (ORSA) in 2000 when I took my class, 50 shots and we scored it per the target (-0, -1 & -3), head shots and center of mass are -0, the chest area is -1 and the rest is -3, then multiplied the score by 2 to achieve the percentage. I shot the center out of mine so and had to shoot the head to make sure of the round count (and to show off my marksmanship skills to the wife), that is where I shot my -1 to finish with a score of 98.

Match223

Guest Phantom6
If you ever forget that, it's time to retire. I learn something new about my job every day.

Yup. Learning like reading is FUNdamental. I believe it and I live it.

Edit: Actualy if I ever forget that, it's not time to retire, it's simply time to close the lid on the box and get on with the funeral services. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Eagle One

In my class the lady next to me had never fired a gun and she rented one to qualify with. She rented a 38 and the instructor worked with her quite a bit and she did not qualify. They changed the 38 for a 22 and worked with her and she finally made it. With the 22 she did quite will. I think the 38 scared her and hurt her as a first time shooter. We had an older couple and the wife had a 9mm with a laser and she did great......

holy thread revival!
It's a new thread revival record!!!!

Tell him what he's won, Johnny!

Nothing wrong with using the search and finding a thread that has already been started on a subject instead of starting a new one.

How many times has a new thread been started and someone post that it has already been discussed or say "got search"?

Then if the thread goes on, somebody does a search to post info from the old thread in the new one....this way the older info is already in the same thread.

all I know is that when I took the class, there were a lot of people who couldn't hit the silhouette even at 5 yards. They passed. I am all for the right to bear arms, but seriously, you gotta do better than that IMO. If you can't get 48 if 50 rounds in the 9 area of a silhouette target, you need to practice before your gun ever leaves the safe.

Guest Sgt. Joe

It seems Eagle One HAS search:):)

Knows how to use it too:):)

Howdy from JacksMad and WELCOME to TGO:D

I read at the beginning of the thread about folks not being able to flunk the shooting part......OOOOhhhh yea they can ;)

2 of 13 in my class did. They shot....flunked and then re-shot and one still flunked.

The one who did pass on the re-fire then flunked the written test :koolaid:

IIRC they were both using large caliber wheel guns.....seemed louder than the 45 acp next to me so I figure they were 357's.

It seems odd that one could flunk but it does happen. Our instructor did not show a whole lot of intrest in helping them and sure did not advise them to try another weapon.

I kinda felt sorry for them as it seemed that one was on the "slow" side and the other a brother or other relative trying to help him. But if they couldnt pass such a simple range and written test it is best that they not be carrying a weapon.

For the written we were allowed to take and use notes....:P

I took my class yesterday, and our instructor asked for more experienced shooters go in the first group. So I and 8 others volunteered. One guy in my group did not qualify. I heard the instructor say "theres just not enough on target". I looked and there were very few holes, and our instructor only counted shots on or inside the 7 ring. Guy was older but not over 65, I am not sure what his prob was. He was shooting a Kahr 9mm. I felt bad for him, but its a simple test, I dont think he has to take the whole class again but just the shooting part. Its always a good idea to practice at least once before qualifying. Im experienced and still shot 50rnds on friday to freshen up.

Since we are on the subject. My wife took the class at Guns&Leather yesterday and scored 100% on the range with her new Bersa 380. She has only shot a few times but I have been working with her on stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. She did good.