Updated XD.40 vs S&W M&P.40 READ!!!

THE COOP

So I sold the Ruger early Sat. morning and ready 2 buy my new gun, I had seen a XD.40 used in the boro shop for $450 but was advised to call Guns and Leather which I did and they had a new XD for less than the used and in stock so I headed to Greenbrier. I asked for and met Daniel a TGO member and told him what I was interested in, even though I liked the M&P better price came into play and the XD was around $100 cheaper so I purchased the gun. I used my free range pass, bought 100 rounds and headed down stairs to try out my new XD, I couldnt put more that 10 rounds in the magazine due to the spring being so strong but no problem it would weaken over time so I start shooting and everything good untill after 30 rounds when it started to FTL? I would drop the mag, make sure the chamber was clear insert the mag, cock it, shoot 1 time and jam again, after 3 times in a roll I went upstairs and asked for some help with my 30 minute old gun, one of the sales reps came down and tested it and same problem, changed mags and jammed again? He then feild strips the gun, check's everything and puts it back together when I notice a black piece of steel still sitting on the table, the slide lock broke off and was sitting there!!! WTH!!! We go see the gunsmith and he says it needs to be replaced and sent back to Springfield and he would write a letter for the gun. So the sales rep says he'll get me another new one to replace it but none in stock. Now to be honest I'm having 2nd thoughts about the XD and ask to see the M&P, If I was to pay the difference it was going to be a real $$$$ tight week untill I get paid, anyways Daniel comes out to talk to me, we work a couple things out and I buy a M&P at a great discount. Back down stairs shoot 70 round without a glitch and head to the house. WOW!!!

A couple of things I need to say, the XD issue I'm sure is rare but it broke after 30 rounds but maybe things happen for a reason and the only real reason I bought the XD was the added safety switch and $ savings, however the M&P they sold me has the thumb safety switch like my 1911. So I got the gun I wanted in the 1st place (M&P) and was shooting quite well for a newbee, at 15 yards I had about a 5" scatter with a couple bulls eyes!!!! NICE

Last thing to say, Guns and Leather!!!! These people are awsome!! The prices are excellent, customer service is outstanding and when there was a problem they made it right!!! Thanks Daniel, YOU RULE!!!! COOP

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

That's great to hear how well they took care of you, glad everything worked out. I never had an issue with my XD, but things happen, and all that matters is that you're happy with your purchase. Glad the M&P is working out for you!

Brand and caliber are all personal choices, but I think if you are in the area you would be foolish not to shop with the folks at G&L. 2 guns purchased last winter, and complete satisfaction with the price and the customer service.

XD's are generally good, you just had the lemon. I think the bigger problem, in general, is that when you purchase a new gun nobody wnnts you to try it out first. You are taking all the risk and liability. I learned that lesson the hard way when I bought a cheap gun one time - EAA Windicator revolver. I took it back to Gander Mountain jammed after 1/3 of a box of cartridges. They had all fired, but it wasn't going to open up - the gunsmith took it in the back and beat on it with a brass mallet and said "good as new". I would not take the gun home, and THEN is when I find out that you can't return a handgun. They bought it back at a huge loss, then (in front of me) put another price tag on it and put it back on the shelves for some other poor sucker to buy. I don't know how to fix this, unless its a 100% retund of the gun is found to be faulty. That way, I would feel much more comfortable buying a gun. B

Guest canynracer

I am gonna say it was fate...hehehe... course I am partial to the M&P

apparantley, someone just thought you should get the gun you wanted and not settle.hehehe

kudos to the G&L guys taking care of you.

Enjoy the new addiction.

Good luck with the M&P, I have no experience with them, but while at Guns and Leather I saw an XD fail when 2 guys rented it it was a 40 cal and the firing pin broke,(they replaced it with a Glock) it was the first time I had heard of one failing, a month later the firing pin broke on my XD 45, after less than 500 rounds had been fired through it, the gun was bought by me New, as well as a Tactical model XD that I never shot, I sold both guns and replaced them with Glocks I know that Springfield would stand behind these guns but I lost all faith in their reliability when I saw this happen to somebody else's gun, then it happened to me. I now own 3 Glocks and I cannot seem to make them malfunction, for the money IMHO they are the Best pistols made for the price

Guest Moody

I am glad to hear of the happy ending to your situation. Guns and Leather has been a pleasure to work with, and I plan to purchase more from them in the future. Easy transactions, good prices, and knowledgeable/honest/sincere folks that run the store. I got a good deal on my Para there, and will be happy to purchase my next 9mm from them as well.

In fact, I will vouch for Guns and Leather on a more consumer-oriented level, as well, as a friend of mine purchased a Taurus stainless 45 auto from them a couple of Thursdays ago (I was with him), and then upon shooting, it was having alot of feed problems, etc... We ran over to Guns and Leather, and they took it back, and had their gunsmith check it out for him (and repaired), free of charge. And - this was ona USED firearm, too...

Great service, guys. Thanks for looking out for us!

Guest HexHead

I'm not surprised in the least G&L took care of you, as I had a similar experience. I bought my wife a pre-owned Springfield EMP and took it downstairs to shoot. The slide wouldn't lock back after the last shot. Other than that it was fine. I figured it was just a magazine problem but they insisted on letting the gunsmith look at it, so I left it with them. Jeff ended up sending it back to Springfield.

A week or so later I get a call the pistol is back. My wife and I go to pick it up and again took it downstairs to shoot. Now it was not only not locking back, though it was hard to tell as I never got through a magazine without multiple FTF and FTEs. And my wife was getting hit in the face with brass. We were disappointed to say the least.

Went back upstairs and since we never left the store with the pistol, asked if we could exchange it for the other pistol she really liked, a Para PDA. Turns out the one in the case was incorrectly marked "new" as we found a receipt for it in it's case. Fortunately they had two NIB ones in stock with consecutive serial numbers and they let us choose which one we wanted.

The PDA was my wife's emotional first choice and when we left we felt like G&L really took good care of us. It was my 2nd gun purchase there (though I did bring a friend up there to buy a Wilson.) Great guys to deal with.