Google Voice-anybody tried it out yet?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abailey362

got my invite and signed up. Really convienent that I was able to get an atlanta number and keep my old line as it is.

Seems pretty cool so far but haven't gotten to play with it too much yet.

I received my invite about a week ago. Since I cancelled my home phone line a couple of months back, I have it ring my phone, my wife's phone, and my daughter's phone. (That seems to calm my mother down.) I'll be giving that number to the schools when we register the kids this week. That way they should be able to reach me or the wife with one call. (Daughter will have hers off at school.)

Pretty neat though.....

Got my invite a couple weeks ago. Told my son and he requested one, and got the invite two days later. Did notice my invite in my spam folder.

Anyway, it's pretty cool. I called my son while he was at work, and both his work and cell phone rang simultaneously. The call sounded a little echo-ie, but not unbearable.

I like that you can visit your account web page, and enter a number to call, select the phone you want to talk on and hit enter. Next thing you know, your phone rings, and when you pick up, the number you are trying to reach starts ringing. Best thing is this is an incoming call for both parties, so no long distance charge for you.

I know a lot of people who's cell phone plans include a Fav-5 or somekind of "any calls to /from this number are free" are setting up their Google voice number as one of their favorites. Then they tell everyone to call that number. Since it gets routed as an incoming call from that "favorite" number, all calls are free.

Voice rocks. I've been using an Asterisk voip setup in my office for several years. This is like adding steroids. Awesome features. Multi phone forwarding, individual phone receive time scheduling, callout capability, etc, etc.

Very cool product from the evil empire.

I've been using it for about 3 years now, since it was Grand Central. It is the best thing since sliced bread. It allows you to assign a "virtual" phone number to several phones, so that it rings all of them when someone calls your virtual number. When you get a call, the caller says their name, and then you get the call. When you pick up, you have the option to answer, send to voice mail, or send to voice mail and listen in. If you want to pick up while they're leaving the voice mail, you just hit * on your phone.

My Google Voice number is the only one I ever give out, because all of my phone numbers (cell, home, work) can change, and you can still get hold of me using the same phone number.

Guest 70below

I have a hard time using google services anymore since they have taken an anti-gun stance.

Yep.......I'm one of those guys.

That said........don't touch my Gmail account! :rolleyes:

Voice rocks. I've been using an Asterisk voip setup in my office for several years. This is like adding steroids. Awesome features. Multi phone forwarding, individual phone receive time scheduling, callout capability, etc, etc.

Very cool product from the evil empire.

The guy from nerd vittles has come up with a way to intergrate GV with asterisk. It is kinda cludgy but works. I am sitting on a pile of cisco 7940s, atas, etc waiting to build my asterisk server. What distribution are you using?

To keep on topic...

I have been using gv for the past few months. I like the call screening feature that requires unknown numbers to say their name before the call is connected. I think there are some call time limits with gv but I have not run in to them. Voicemail transcription to email works fairly well too. The quality is very good comapred to my magic jack which sometimes does not work at all.

The guy from nerd vittles has come up with a way to intergrate GV with asterisk. It is kinda cludgy but works. I am sitting on a pile of cisco 7940s, atas, etc waiting to build my asterisk server. What distribution are you using?

I'm curious about the workaround to Asterisk. How's that work?

Guest Spuds

my gmail addy took 48 hours.

If cell is turned off (no reception at home) calls automatically go to it's voice mail. Will this screw with google voice?

I'm curious about the workaround to Asterisk. How's that work?

You can have a look at the guys blog ... Nerd Vittles

He started using a free service from Gizmo5 and then they started charging so he is now using a python script with asterisk. I have not personally tried it but if you his comments there are a lot of people that say it works.

You can have a look at the guys blog ... Nerd Vittles

He started using a free service from Gizmo5 and then they started charging so he is now using a python script with asterisk. I have not personally tried it but if you his comments there are a lot of people that say it works.

Looks doable. Guess I'll build that new phone switch sooner rather than later.

Thanks!:up: