Need some advice on a problem.

I live in Sweetwater but work in Loudon on 2nd shift and get off at midnight Monday through Friday.

Driving home on hwy 11 every single da*n night for the past 2 months there is a silver saturn that comes up behind me somewhere in the trip that the headlight on the passenger side seems stuck on high beam and blinds the piss out of me since he rides my a$$.

It knocks me out enough i had to set my side mirrors where i have to lean to see the road and its even over bright in the night setting on the center mirror. By the time he pass's i can not make out the tag number from the bright spot in my vision.

Now being the law abiding person i am i'm doing the speed limit or 5 over and he screams past me the first passing area and has to be doing 50-60mph in a 30mph section we go through.

Yes i could hang around work and leave a few mins later in hope of not having him behind me, but why should i make a hindrance on myself just for someone breaking the law. And after 8-12 hours at work i'm ready for home.

Short of blocking the road one night and taking a tire iron to his headlight :D, what can i do to help this problem.

Edited by Tobashadow
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some cheap offroad lights mounted behind the cab of my truck facing rearward. They are there to light my bed if I were loading/unloading in the dark. But they also work well to let people know if they are following me too closely. :D

Of course, I did manage to flash them at one of Metro's finest behind me one night. :D

Edited by Mr. Brooks
+1 Good idea. Something so trivial could quickly escalate into something you may regret.

Agree. This guy sounds like an ass looking for a confrontation.

I agree with the above, but I'd also let the local PD know about what is occurring so that the district car can watch out for this person. They won't make it a priority: however, if they have nothing to do at that time it's good for an easy ticket.

Redneck version...

go to the junkyard and get a handful of old lignits, then just start droppin em in the other lane as he tries to pass. They will take out windshield, headlights, radiator, grill, pretty much anything they hit at 50MPH.

legal option...

pull over and let him pass, then get the tag and call it in, if its happening at the same time everynight, prolly just call it in will work.

PC version...

Have Obama pass another law and make headlight aiming a felony.

Check the parking lot at work for the car. Sounds like he (or she) gets off at the same time you do, drives the same way home.

Nope too small of company i would have known a long time ago and helped fix the problem since i am a nice guy (unless provoked that is).

Originally Posted by Mike.357 viewpost.gif

i would pull way the heck over immediately and wave him by.

No sense sweating crap like this.

Every night? Think hard about this, would you every single night?

Guest canynracer

The reality is that if it is only one of two headlights, chances are, the other is blown, and the only way to get both on is to have the high beams.

I would adjust the mirrors in a way that it reflects the light back to him.

I have had this done to me before (by a buddy) and it truely sux.

I wouldnt get too heated about it, dont let it escalate into something....

course, when all else fails...

upimg20%5CCar-Spotlight-429.jpg

The reality is that if it is only one of two headlights, chances are, the other is blown, and the only way to get both on is to have the high beams.

I would adjust the mirrors in a way that it reflects the light back to him.

I have had this done to me before (by a buddy) and it truely sux.

I wouldnt get too heated about it, dont let it escalate into something....

course, when all else fails...

upimg20%5CCar-Spotlight-429.jpg

No, no, no! Too small! spotlight.jpg

Originally Posted by Mike.357 viewpost.gif

No sense sweating crap like this. Every night? Think hard about this, would you every single night?

Yep, Dude life is too short as it is. You have no clue what this idiot is up to. I would slow way the heck down, pull as far right as possible, turn on my flashers and wave him on by. I would do it every single night it happened.

You want to have a confrontation with this guy? I see you have a permit, I assume you are carrying. You need to do something to de-escalate this every single time.

Guest SUNTZU
i totally assume you are kidding. But if you were to do that and the guy had a terrible wreck, who do you think is going to be found at fault?

ufo.jpg

Toba,

Mike is right. as much as you'd like to get them to stop what they're doing, they're not actively attempting to endanger your life.

they're doing that through stupidity and reckless driving, but I'm willing to bet that they're not singling you out for it.

stay out of their way, let them pass. if you can get a tag number, call it in when you get the chance. THAT is the way to handle it.

I know JUST how you feel though...and if it were legal to do it any other way, you can bet your bippy I'd say go for it. Its simply NOT worth the trouble you might buy into to do it any other way.

just my .2 cents. :(

Guest SUNTZU

If it happens every day, go get some window paint or shoe polish and write "Hey You in the Silver Saturn, stay off my ass and fix your damn headlight!" on your back window.

Guest Swamprunner

No worries. If he is driving a Saturn, it ain't long fer the world. It should be in Purdy's Salvage yard by next week. I live in Loudon, I'll BOLO fer it.

Guest SUNTZU

Some guy here in Knoxville was pulled over for having one of those things in the car. I think the officer I was talking to said it was some kind of hazard? But its okay to have one of those driving billboards that tries to run me off the road in Cedar Bluff all the time. I haven't seen one recently, though, come to think of it.

No sense sweating crap like this.

That's what I would do for the first week or two. I agree with the others, life is too short to spend a bunch of time mad or upset or all bent out of shape. Besides, I'm not sure you have many legal options, aside from calling the police.

Every night? Think hard about this, would you every single night?

No. I'd ask my boss if I could start and end my shift 10 or 15 minutes early, or late. Or find another way to alter my schedule a bit. If that absolutely could not be done, then yeah. Every night, I'd slow down and get over when he got behind me. It takes what, 45 seconds or a whole minute to pull over, let him pass, then get back on the road? In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't a big deal.

You want to have a confrontation with this guy? I see you have a permit, I assume you are carrying. You need to do something to de-escalate this every single time.

Nope not looking for a confrontation, but if he is doing it to me i can bet he is to ALOT of other people at night.

It needs to stop, before i adjusted my side mirrors (manual no power) i almost ran off the road slowing down trying to see because i was blinded by the constant high beam up close.

Thankfully i was able to come home tonight with it raining with no bright lights in the mirror.

Guest benchpresspower

slam on the brakes and then when the questions start just say that there was a bunny wabbit in the road and you didn't wanna hit him lol:D

Some guy here in Knoxville was pulled over for having one of those things in the car. I think the officer I was talking to said it was some kind of hazard? But its okay to have one of those driving billboards that tries to run me off the road in Cedar Bluff all the time. I haven't seen one recently, though, come to think of it.

My response would be to show me the ordinance. If I was written I'd politely tell him/her to be prepared to show in court how many vehicles showing signs from the back, (there are numerous examples such as dump trucks, icecream trucks, work crew trucks), he/she's cited for the same thing. Because we all know police officers never inject their personal feelings into a situation.