M44 + SKS

Guest Hi Point

Guest Hi Point

Just picked these up. Paid 280 total. How do you think I did?

DSCF0045.JPG

I am really falling in love with the SKS. It shoots like a dream. The m44 is a BEAST, I won't be shooting it a whole lot :confused:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is: are you happy? :) If they shoot and are fun that's what matters.

There are pieces missing on both, not any that effect performance or usability and the Mosin stock has some odd bolts in in.

You should invest in a Nancy Pad for the Mosin. For about $15 you can shoot it all day.:confused: Unfortunately, you'll be buying alot more ammo!

the Mosin stock has some odd bolts in in.

You should invest in a Nancy Pad for the Mosin

i think the odd bolt is a feature in laminated Mosin Nagant stocks.

Definitely get the Nancy Pad. best 15 bucks you can spend.

On closer inspection it looks like it is missing the upper part of the forestock. Not that it matters really. As long as you like shooting it, and like it you did good.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest Hi Point

Cool good to know. Yes, I am VERY happy. The m44 is definitely missing some stuff, I knew it was missing bands didn't know about the forestock though. I wonder how much it will cost to replace that stuff or if I really need to replace it? They both shoot wonderfully. I tried to convert the SKS to use a Tapco magazine, got very frustrated after shortening some bullets and went back to stock. It functions SO well stock and with stripper clips I just see no reason for the mag. After having that experience I saw a guy with a Norinco SKS cursing it all to bits at the range, when I asked him why he was cursing it it was because he had tried to use a tapco magazine on it. doh!

I tried to convert the SKS to use a Tapco magazine, got very frustrated after shortening some bullets and went back to stock. It functions SO well stock and with stripper clips I just see no reason for the mag. After having that experience I saw a guy with a Norinco SKS cursing it all to bits at the range, when I asked him why he was cursing it it was because he had tried to use a tapco magazine on it. doh!
]

You cannot use Tapco mags with your wooden stock unless you "trim/carve your wooden stock to properly seat the Tapco mags. The Tapco mags are slightly wider than the stock wood. Any of your "aftermarket" stocks work well with the Tapco mags. DO NOT buy Pmags for an SKS. They are worthless. Tapco's 20rd mags seem to be the best. This isn't an opinion, it's been a proven fact.

I personally have just finished up my SKS build and will post a few pics for you. I now have the Tapco T-6 stock and a few of the Tapco 20rd mags that work flawlessly.

Simple suggestion is Survivors SKS boards.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=3.0

TONS of info there. There are people from TN on there to that I have told about this board. I think one or two have now signed up here. If you have any questions about your SKS, feel free to PM me.

SKS almost always feed better with the standard fixed magazine. I don't know that I would ever try to use anything else. It's just a waste of money.

BTW, I think you got a great deal!! :)

No they are not a waste of money. They work perfectly well. Most people who purchase them attempt to use them in their wooden stocks and then figure out they don't fit and they sure as hell do not want to cut the factory stock so they automatically say they suck and don't work. The Tapco mags only work in after market stocks. :D

What's the one on top?

I think there's one in the local pawn shop with a bayonet for 300.

The one on top is the SKS. I cannot tell if it is a Russian, Chinese, Romainian, Albainian. It is not however, a Yugoslavian as it doesn't have the grenade launcher on the barell nor the gas valve.

If you are thinking about purchasing one, check the link above to the Survivors SKS boards and read up on the SKS's. The you can decide for yourself if you want one and what type is sitting in the store you're talking about.

Guest clsutton21

All I know is that it's the heaviest gun I've ever held...I'll check more into it later.

Edit: They have 2 from yugoslavia, I just called.

Edited by clsutton21
Guest Hi Point

The SKS is a Norinco, it was made in California. I agree moped I don't see why anyone would want to use anything besides the stock feed system. I can empty 10 rounds out flawlessly and reload it in about 1 second with a stripper clip. For the same price as I can get a magazine that holds 20 rounds I can get enough stripper clips to hold 400 rounds.

That's a good point about the stripper clips. I wish I still had a SKS. I may have to search for another one soon.

BTW, the Norinco was made in China and imported into California. I don't think they allow them to be imported anymore though. It has the reputation of being the best made SKS. Good rifle and a great deal!

Guest Hi Point

Im really impressed with the Norinco. It is the smoothest operating gun I own. It just has a feel like you could shoot a billion rounds through it and it would never break. It is built like a tank, it is not light but every part in it just feels so solid. The actions is very smooth while being very heavy at the same time if you know what I mean. I love the Norinco and I have heard other people say they are a great SKS. I was considering putting a different stock on it because I thought it might lighten it up some but when I took the stock off I noticed the stock weighs like 2 ounces.

I can second everything Hi Point says, except I would be remarking on my Yugo SKS.

Built like a tank, fairly heavy, runs smooth as silk. I believe I have only ever had one failure and that was a stovepipe of all things.

I have thought about a Tapco stock, but being a purist I love it because it is a surplus battle rifle.

Never game much thought to removable mags. I have 46 clips for it and they are easy enough to use. 38 loaded up fill an ammo can and 8 more fill a bandolier.

it would be fun to take a full can to the range and bring back and emtpy one.

it is nice but my go to carbine will always be the M1

Guest Hi Point

Mike please don't give thought to removable mags. PLEASE! I cursed myself for trying the removable mag thing so much. Especially after I ground down my stock then found out to get it to work properly you HAVE to grind the metal feed ramp down and to really get it working properly you also have to grind your bolt down. I say no thanks to that.

never heard that one before, not arguing mind you, just never heard that claim about anything Norinco

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I have read that several places. I've also heard very good things about their Pre-ban AK's and MAK90s. :rolleyes: At one time I had a Norinco SKS. Stupidly, I sold it(seems to be a trend for me). Now I wish I had kepted it. It was a good shooter.

Edited by Moped
Guest FlyntG

I love my sks. Its a yugo. Since buying it a few years ago (Freidmans for $135) I've bought an ak and an ar, but something about that big honkin rifle just feels good. It's just a little short for my arms, which arent very long, i'm only 5'8.

Built like a tank is probably the best description. Also, in the unlikely event I run out of ammo, it is the only rifle I own that would really make an effective club.

Mike please don't give thought to removable mags. PLEASE!

No serious thought other than nope!

Stupidly, I sold it(seems to be a trend for me). Now I wish I had kepted it. It was a good shooter.

every firearm I have ever sold I have regretted to one extent or another.

Oddly enough my HiPoint 40S&W is my biggest regret. lol

I have had thoughts of selling the SKS but thankfully that has just remained a thought.