Anyone here reload their primers?

Guest Hi Point

Guest Hi Point

Just wondering if anyone here reloads their primers? I am really considering doing it more and more the way primers are going. I also hear talk of a new non corrosive primer refill powder. So, just wondering. Does anyone here reload primers? If you do, what is your method? :rolleyes:

Edited by Hi Point
Mispelling
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

There has been some history in it, but in general, I would think it to be a phenomenally bad idea - for a couple of reasons.

1. Lead Styphnate, the primary explosive used in most primers is both impact (obviously) and shock sensitive. This includes electostatic discharge from the human body. One spark on a dry winter night, and there goes the neighborhood. Without some heavy duty safety equipment and an expensive press, you very well could blow yourself up.

2. Sourcing reloading mixture (whatever the composition) - this is a primary explosive, and as such I would guess that the BATFE is really going to take exception to people having it in their possession.

If you look at what has happened with model rocket enthusiasts, sites like unitednuclear.com and others over the last few years under the misguided focus of DHS, I just can't see it happening.

There were guys back in the depression who shaved the heads of strike anywhere matches to reload .22 shells, but it was unreliable then, and the mixture has changed since. Try striking a modern "strike anywhere" match anywhere but on the box and you'll see what I mean.

Guest Hi Point

I don't know krunchnik, seems like people are having some pretty good success. Delmar has got the method down and perotter has apparently moved on past using match stick powder and has found a non corrosive recipe to make them. I am seriously considering trying it out myself, especially if the speed at which people can make them speeds up.

Delmars primer reloading method! <<< Links to some of delmars primer reloading techniques, also I think perotter is going to put up his primer recipes today as well.

• Admin Team

Per my Avatar, I appreciate anything that can be improvised when things head south.

That said, I stand by my earlier caution. Pressing pressure sensitive explosives into a case in close proximity to other explosive media is a bad idea. Sooner or later, you are going to reach down into your bag of luck, and there isn't going to be anything there.

Should we ever meet, ask to see the scar on my hand from the unexpected ignition of a matchhead powered rocket when I was 10 or 11. Walking to the 'launchpad' - no dropping it or jarring it - it just lit up.

I have been reloading for a decade and I wasn't aware you could reload primers. Why would you mess with the most important part of the bullet? I would not take a chance. That could get you killed.

Ray

Guest Hi Point

I don't think it could get you killed? If you look there are videos of him shooting them, another guy coyoteugly has shot a bunch of them without issue, he is going to post up his primer plate (lets you make multiples of them at a time) soon but he is out of town. I think the only issue is not being able to make them fast enough or I would be all over it.

Guest TackleberryTom
the BATFE is really going to take exception to people having it in their possession.

We have primers that have the explosive already? What is the diff?

My grandfather made his own primers from scratch. He had a punch to make the cups and made his own recipe. If primers are outlawed all you wimps who say "too dangerous" "could get you killed" will be SOL. What is more dangerous? No ammo or making your own? I get sick and tired of hearing that things should be left to the pro's or it's too hard to do or too dangerous. My grandparents and other fore fathers had the ball$ to do whatever was necessary to protect their families and build this country from nothing!

Everyone needs to quit watching the propaganda tv and quit being such pansy a$$ wimps!! Sorry, this kinda subject makes me mad! The difference between a "professional" and an amateur is the pro gets paid! (Being a "Pro" takes no prior experience, just gettin' paid to do it makes you one) My grandpa died from glaucoma at age 70, not from making primers.

Guest Spuds

Some time back, a poster on Gunboards' Makarov forum from Iran detailed the how and why of making his own primers. The why of it was his oppressive gummit didn't allow pistols without heavy regulation, nor pistol ammo. He reloaded out of necessity.

He lived in that section of Iran nearest Pakistan, and the Darra region of Pakistan is famous for their "gun making" as well as making ammo, so he may have found much expertise to guide him amongst his fellow countrymen.

Are match heads corrosive? Has anyone tested any of these loads with a strain guage or other device to determine the pressures they create? What is the shelf life of one of these reloaded primers? How consistant are the velocities of rounds oladed with these? This Jeff Foxworthy method of loading ammunition should not be advocated and should be left to people who have access to a ballistics lab and the knowledge to read and interpret the results of extensive tests. In a self defense situation, I'd rather be armed with a knife, bow, or hammer than some homemade might work ammo.

Guest Hi Point

Here is a link to perotter's non corrosive recipes :stir:Link, he has moved on past the match head powder, although match head powder still works, just check out Delmar's shooting videos, or ask around at reloaderz.com. :poop:

Guest TackleberryTom
Good post, but not a credible finish I'm afraid.

Thanks. Well my grandfather was diabetic. Even nearly blind he was reloading and shooting and winning matches. My dad used to help him make primers and reload when he was a kid. My dad said that making the primer slurry was dangerous -if it dried out- but proper precaution and experience it was quite simple.

I was very tired last night and didn't mean to sound rude but, I do believe that this country has lost alot of good knowledge and experience thanks to watching tv instead of learning from our elders. This continual barrage of brainwashing from the media like "Don't try this at home" or "Professional driver, do not attempt" "Leave it to the experts" This stuff has dumbed down society so that it can be controlled. Does everyone forget that once upon a time, there wasn't a factory producing everything that we use? If people needed it, they made it, themselves.

God forbid the economy collapse and we'd have to rely on doing/making things for ourselves.

I'll step down now. Thanks.

Guest Hi Point

Even if the primer mix is corrosive, all you have to do is take a spray bottle of vinegar and give a little squirt when you get down shooting and run a patch through your gun. The vinegar neutralizes the corrosive salts. I was mistaken about him having a non corrosive formula, perotter is *working* on a non corrosive formula.

Guest Hi Point
Thanks. Well my grandfather was diabetic. Even nearly blind he was reloading and shooting and winning matches. My dad used to help him make primers and reload when he was a kid. My dad said that making the primer slurry was dangerous -if it dried out- but proper precaution and experience it was quite simple.

I was very tired last night and didn't mean to sound rude but, I do believe that this country has lost alot of good knowledge and experience thanks to watching tv instead of learning from our elders. This continual barrage of brainwashing from the media like "Don't try this at home" or "Professional driver, do not attempt" "Leave it to the experts" This stuff has dumbed down society so that it can be controlled. Does everyone forget that once upon a time, there wasn't a factory producing everything that we use? If people needed it, they made it, themselves.

God forbid the economy collapse and we'd have to rely on doing/making things for ourselves.

I'll step down now. Thanks.

This is kind of one of those things you learn how to do now, and when/if SHTF you are prepared.