Making my first gun purchase.. where to start?

TNTitan

Well - I need to get a good carrying weapon. I travel from Nashville to Memphis often for work and find myself in high-crime areas more than I like.

I've never purchased a gun before so I'm not sure where to start. I have shot and handled several pistols and have fallen in love with the Ruger SP101 DA revolver. It feels great, shoots smoothly and is small enough for me to conceal effective I think. Best of all - I think it will be great for my wife to shoot when she comes around (still working on her :cool:

Most of the places I have looked online list the SP as "out of stock". Gunbroker and some other places have them listed on auctions.. but I'm wary of purchasing a gun sight unseen. The gun store in Franklin has them but they are pretty expensive new.

Me and the wife are on a budget, so I would like to spend $300 to $400.. is that reasonable? Do I need to be wary of buying a "used" gun? Any advice for a "first-timer" would be well accepted. Thanks, gang.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like the SP, buy the SP. I'd recommend, however, that you buy local. Middle Tennessee has a lot of good local gunshops, and some of the best are also vendors here on TGO.

I'd say your budget sounds reasonable, especially if you look at used guns. I'd highly recommend that you buy from a local dealer. Aside from being able to handle the gun before you buy it, the service during and after the sale is worth what little extra expense that you might find. You might be surprised, also, at the kind of price a local dealer can get compared to Gunbroker, once you factor in shipping and FFL transfer fees.

Im sure your right. I plan on porting the gun as well, along with some other changes.. so buying local might mean I can buy it and have the work done all at one place.

Any good local places/vendors you would recommend?

I've personally purchased guns from both Guns & Leather in Greenbriar, and Hero Gear in Winchester. Guns & Leather has an excellent range and a gunsmith on site, so you can also discuss any modifications then and there. Both are also vendors here on TGO. Hero Gear has a ton of impressive stuff, not to mention incredible customer service and just an all around great place. They're worth the drive to deal with, if not for your first purchase then very soon after.

Edited by 56FordGuy
Grammar/ spelling corrections

An SP101 would be a great first SD gun. If you don't carry it your wife may...or it is actually a very decent home/car gun too.

The best thing however is that it also makes a very fun range gun as well. Expect $350-$450 used/new and be weary of anything more or less than that.

..Expect $350-$450 used/new and be weary of anything more or less than that.

Be wary and leery too. :P

SP101 is a great weapon.

For carry, it's just big and heavy enough to preclude pocket carry for most.

On the upside, it conceals great IWB and you can hammer nails with it all day, and still have feeling in your hands.

I'd be carrying mine now, but finally decided I was more comfy with 14 rounds than 5.

Porting it? Well, whatever.

ruger-bullard-sm.jpg

Porting it? Well, whatever.

maybe not. I will try it both ways. The one Ive shot before is ported.. I may like it non-ported. We will see. I would prefer to not port it if I notice no big difference, but like I said.. I might want the wife to shoot this one too.

Guest 1shot

I would never port a self defense pistol. If you have to shoot it at night in a SD situation you will be blind and really deaf. Those ports throw a flash of fire that looks like a funny car dragster exhaust. You also loose an average 50 fps velocity from a ported barrel and with a short barrel pistol you need all the velocity you can get. If you want a good light SD revolver check out the Taurus untra-light 38's. They are a little less expensive and are rated for +P ammo and are really good pistols. The best thing it is light and easy to carry. If you have never carried a pistol you will find that they can be heavy and you will get to the point that you will not carry it on your person and will leave it in the car etc. When you need it you will not have it on your person and it does you no good sitting in the car. With a good inside the waste band holster carried just behind your hip bone with only an untucked shirt pulled over it no body will ever know you are carrying.

As for you wife shooting it. My wife is a small little gal and she has a Rossi snub nose 38 that she carries and shoots well. Start your wife out with target wadcutter ammo and work your way up to SD ammo. That is what I did. My wife now has her TN HCP.

Edited by 1shot

I would not be too leery of buying a carry revolver used, as they are usually not shot that much. If the gun looks good and locks up tight, I'd say you're good to go. To test the lock up, pull the hammer all the way back while simultaniously pulling the trigger. While holding the gun in this position, try turning the cylinder with your other hand. It should have very little if any play. Next, look at the screws. Be leery of one if the heads are buggered up. That is a telltale sign of an amateur gunsmith. If the finish looks good, and these areas are good, and assuming it indexes correctly, it should be good.

Guest FiddleDog

I second 1shot. porting will kill your vision at night. Taurus does make a great revolver (although my wife LOVES her 101). Taurus has a 327 and 9 which would make recoil a bit easier.

Guest HexHead
I would never port a self defense pistol. If you have to shoot it at night in a SD situation you will be blind and really deaf. Those ports throw a flash of fire that looks like a funny car dragster exhaust. You also loose an average 50 fps velocity from a ported barrel and with a short barrel pistol you need all the velocity you can get.

+1 on all that. You can probably find a used S&W 646 or 446 Airweight on the high end of your budget. Handles .38 +P but is light enough and with a good pocket holster very easy to carry concealed in a pocket. Hard to go wrong with one of those

I'd recommend you buy from one of the guys/gals on the board. There are plenty of people in the Nashville area who post here in the Classified section. We are a bunch of nice people, we will take time with you to explain everything, and you wont have to pay tax. Don't insist on getting the Ruger. There are plenty of other nice guns in the same price range that will do just as well.

Guest TurboniumOxide

And be ready for the chronic disease that IS this hobby. It's a good sign that your wife is interested too. My wife is a sweet girly girl, but she is a natural with firearms. If I was a bad guy I wouldn't come anywhere close to her cubs. :-)

If you are in a hurry to be able to carry whatever handgun you decide on you should borrow or rent a gun and go ahead and take your carry class and get that process under way. Guns and Leather can fix you up. You are probably looking at 2 to 3 months before you can get the HCP and legally carry. You don't have to qualify with your own gun.

Do I need to be wary of buying a "used" gun? Any advice for a "first-timer" would be well accepted. Thanks, gang.

Used guns don’t cost at or near what new ones do. If it is priced that way buy new.

Most common guns can be bought from the dealers on this forum for a reasonable price. I always seem to get the best price when I am standing in front of them; if that’s not possible sending them a PM gets good results also.

Buying used guns is just like buying used cars; unless you know what to look for you have no idea what you are buying.

I buy a lot of used guns, but you have to be careful.

In this area I would recommend, and have bought from, Hero Gear and Guns & Leather. If they didn’t have or couldn’t get what I wanted I have ordered from Buds Guns.

I have not had much luck waiting for what I want to show up on this forum for sale; but I have had good luck posting a WTB ad once I made my mind up.

...Unless you want to be carrying before you set foot in Memphis. Ha ha.

I think thats wise, dont you? :confused:

I shot the SP101 and the G21 and a Beretta Mini Cougar 45 at OnTarget today.. good stuff.. I think I'm going the rent the S&W 637 next week and see how it feels.... the hunt continues.

Guest 22-rimfire

I think you're better off with a smaller revolver like the Smith & Wesson J frames such as the Model 442/642. Not particularly fun to shoot as it's light (hence recoil) but it easily conceals in your pants pocket. Other one to consider is the new Ruger LCR revolver in 38spl. Handled one and I'm told they are more comfortable to shoot than the Smith in 38spl.

The Ruger SP101 feels great in the hand, but I personally find them too heavy for daily carry. Many disagree with me.

Guest donfromtexas

If you want a nice car carry gun, check out the Taurus Judge Ultralite. I just handled one and they are much lighter than I imagined them to be.

Load it up with 4 shot or buckshot and let car jackers beware!

There is a really nice video of the Judge in action on the Taurus website iff you want to see it.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - The Judge Magnum

This is the one I am going to buy as soon as I find the magnum available.

Guest TXRoadhouse

I love my sp101, but now mainly carry it as a back up to my 24/7 compact 45. they are both great guns and i can keep a 5 inch spread @ 50' all day long - not the best shooter i know but good enuf to keep the bg off me. find one you like and practice. the money should only be part of the equation, with something that is comfortable and reliable being the rest of the equation. good luck with your decision.

Guest dizzielizzie

I've been hitting the local shops then running home & looking them up on the internet. It's good to find out what the MSRP is to see if you're getting a deal or not. Ask if it's new in the box & make sure you're getting all the goodies (the manufacturer says it's supposed to come with) if you're paying anything close to full price (if you're not then look up the price of the accessories and ask for that discounted.) If it's used then look it over as described above in gregintenn's post.

Please consider getting your HCP because if you "get caught" carrying you'll possibly get in enough trouble to disqualify for getting a permit. You can have a gun in your home, and you can transport it unloaded (put gun up front unloaded and ammo in trunk or lockbox) but I believe that's about it.