Legal carry in church?

Guest Swamprunner
I cleaned my guns during school.:cool: Home schooling has many benefits.

I carried my guns and cleaned them in school. Public school. I guess I'm a little older than most folks. Took my .22 and .410 to school (on the school bus) to go rabbit hunting behind the school, then mom or dad picked us up after we were done. My how times have changed. Mt grandson can't even bring a pocket knife to school to trade.

Crappy time to grow up. :D The friggin' liberals are in charge, now.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sundays and Wed nights school isn't in session therfore would you still be carrying at a school if you're there for church? I would think the argument could be made that if school isn't in that it is then a church building not a school building. I would say it depends on what is going on at the time (school or church). I don't know what the law states thats just my reasoning. I carry in my church which also has a school k-12. It's only 2 miles from a minimum security prison and 1 mile from a loony bin. Occupants of both have been known to wander in. But I also know of 6-10 others that are packing too.

See, that's how I feel. Except, I don't think you should be restricted from carrying in a private school even. They should be allowed to post, but not required. I still would like to get an AG opinion on it just so I won't be caught with my pants down and lose my permit. I'm also going to talk to my state rep about pushing a bill next session to get the private school ban taken away.

BTW, did anyone see the AG opinion today that even if you can legally carry in a park, if there are kids there on a school field trip the park becomes off limits? That's totally absurd and the law needs to be changed so a location doesn't become off limits when school kids arrive. I mean, you can trust me at Wal-Mart next to kids, but evidently I go nuts when I am at a school or park with kids????

Matthew

Guest justme
An exception: My church is off limits.....there is a school too. Same property.

ok--I'm going to ask a stupid question...I know churches used to double as school houses...like the little churches in Cades Cove...but they actually still double--and how do they handle the religious symbols to satisfy the ACLU ?

Guest Jcochran88
ok--I'm going to ask a stupid question...I know churches used to double as school houses...like the little churches in Cades Cove...but they actually still double--and how do they handle the religious symbols to satisfy the ACLU ?

mostly private schools, however there are some churches that meet in public schools. The school boards rent out the building to help subsidse costs(not very much though). If they do meet in the public school house all church related materials have to be removed when done every time.

At my church if they banned carry, the church would be over half empty!!

• Administrator

I wouldn't go to a church that didn't allow me the legal means to defend myself and my family. There are too many churches out there that do allow it to stick with one that doesn't, and it's not like any of them have a corner on the God market.

Guest grimel
As has been said, not illegal to carry in a church unless they've posted. I think it's a good idea to have permission from a minister, though.

Why? If you are a member it is as much your church as his. Do you ask permission of the manager at Kroger?

Guest grimel
I don't do that. House of the LORD and all of that. I leave my shootin' iron out in the truck, but on Wednesday nights, I still have my holster on. In our church handbook, it is prohibited. That being said, I fully support the leadership of our church, and feel they were inspired to address this issue. Until this changes, I'll support the church leadership. A sign of legal dimensions is not necessary. Now then, if a member is found to be in possession of a firearm, I'll quietly counsel him/her, and not make a big deal of it. If a bad guy comes in to cause harm, I guess I'll be bringin' my SOG to a gun fight.

Hmm, I guess I read a different Bible than some folks.

Why are you doing the counseling? I thought you had faith in and support the church leadership?

Worked great for the Unitarians in Knoxville.

Too many shootings in churches in the last few years to not carry in Church. While I haven't started carrying in church yet since Im still kinda new to everyone (we joined last week), the preach has a 357 he talks about so Im going to approach him in a few weeks.

While I figure JC is cool with my carrying, it would be best to inform the pastor in case something was to come up.

Guest 270win

I often carry a little snub in my pocket at church. It is my go everywhere friend. It is legal and I plan on keeping up with the practice. The armed guards at my church can't watch every car in the parking lot and the off duty police and armed guards can't be everywhere inside the church. Sadly, the world hates Christians and I see evidence of it in the news I read daily. We are in the minority and we have to be prepared for the few nutjobs out there that want to do us and our fellow Christian brothers and sisters harm.

Guest louderthebetter

With me its simple...I don't ask and I don't tell.

If things get to the point where I MUST use my weapon then it really doesn't matter.

Otherwise,no one knows but me.

Why? If you are a member it is as much your church as his. Do you ask permission of the manager at Kroger?

I want it understood that if I accidentally expose my weapon that someone on the church staff knows about it and is not opposed. Just because I'm a member of the church doesn't give me the right to do just whatever I want to do. But if the pastor or one of the other ministers has a problem with it, I'm finding another church. Just like I won't give someone my money who doesn't want my gun in their place of business, I won't attend a church who doesn't want my gun inside its doors.

I also ask permission to enter someone's home armed. It's a matter of common courtesy.

Guest Swamprunner
Hmm, I guess I read a different Bible than some folks.

Why are you doing the counseling? I thought you had faith in and support the church leadership?

Worked great for the Unitarians in Knoxville.

I fully support and sustain the leadership of my church, and all those in authority above me. The reason that I counsel others when they have difficulty or need help, is because I am also in the leadership of my church.

Some members, at times, need a little help and I have never had a member reject my counsel. I exercise my authority with love, longsuffering, and faith.

I am now old enough now to have had the bone pulled out my head that refuses to follow established rules. When I was young, Ho-Boy, all bets were off. I have seen others in this and other threads that take a hard-core stance on the right to carry. And I agree with most all of those that post here, otherwise I would not be a member. But with age, you learn to choose your battles, or use the wisdom you have achieved with age to fight battles in a win-win way.

I am not a Unitarian. I will say that my church has been/is in the news recently out West for standing up for the sanctity of the family, and very rarely will engage in a political fight. We very quietly go about our business, and we live provident lives. By that, I mean that we stay out of unnecessary debt, engage in emergency preparedness, and help all those in need during times of crisis, regardless of religion or background. Our history and that of my family is one of deprivation, difficult times, and murder of our members. Still we stay rooted in the Gospel, and because of our past, we have learned a great deal about how to live our lives. If this seems way out to you or others, so be it. ;)

<off soap box>

Guest clsutton21
I often carry a little snub in my pocket at church. It is my go everywhere friend. It is legal and I plan on keeping up with the practice. The armed guards at my church can't watch every car in the parking lot and the off duty police and armed guards can't be everywhere inside the church. Sadly, the world hates Christians and I see evidence of it in the news I read daily. We are in the minority and we have to be prepared for the few nutjobs out there that want to do us and our fellow Christian brothers and sisters harm.

Even though I doubt terrorists are targeting your church, I would like to inform you that Christians are in fact the majority in America and the world. 85% of America is Christian and Christianity even beats out Islam worldwide. Sorry to derail, but I hate when people use ignorance to try to prove a point.

Even though I doubt terrorists are targeting your church, I would like to inform you that Christians are in fact the majority in America and the world. 85% of America is Christian and Christianity even beats out Islam worldwide. Sorry to derail, but I hate when people use ignorance to try to prove a point.

I don't know where you got educated, but that's pretty far off base. "Christians" in America are like Catholics in South America. Yes, there are a ton of people who might say they are "Christian", but that's in name only. Even then, I doubt you'd get even 50% of the country to actually say they are Christian. I might believe 50%+ say they believe in a god.

We have two arms police officers at our church, but with a very large church and 3000+ people there every Sunday, I am not counting on them being there fast enough to stop some crazy person. Last year when the shooting happened they locked down the kids, but that's about all they could do. Not what I would really call "safe".

Matthew

I don't see any issues, moral or legal, with carry in a church. Disclaimer: I haven't been to church in about six years. That said, many years ago, when I was much younger, I attended a small country church with a young pastor. He carried a handgun, and every once in a while he carried in a shoulder holster. Being a small country church, and an empassioned young pastor, every so often he got hot during his sermon and the jacket came off. There was the pistol. I don't recall anyone ever taking any issue with it.

I don't see any issues with carrying in church. The Lord, in my opinion, was pretty clear about being able to defend oneself and their family. Unfortunately, the church building is not immune to the evils that plague the rest of the world. When I took my permit class, there were a few folks there that specifically said that they were there because of the recent shootings in churches. We live in a dangerous world, and just like the 'No Guns' signs don't keep criminals from doing harm, neither do church signs.

Guest louderthebetter

As far as asking permission before entering someones home while armed,it just ain't gonna happen because if they are that tight a$$ about guns,I not going there anyhow.The only peoples houses I go to are like minded gun people like myself.

Bad things can and do happen at "other peoples houses"

As far as asking permission before entering someones home while armed,it just ain't gonna happen because if they are that tight a$$ about guns,I not going there anyhow.The only peoples houses I go to are like minded gun people like myself.

I suppose I should clarify what I said. I do ask if it's OK, and if it's not, then I don't go in. And the only time I ask is if I'm not sure where they stand on the 2A.

I don't think I have a right to enter someone's home who doesn't want my gun there, even if they don't get it. But I do have every right to tell them that I won't be coming in because I refuse to disarm. That also goes for family, although I'm fortunate that no one in my family is anti-gun.

Sorry I was so vague.

I tend to agree....just a note though....in some states, like Arkansas, it is actually the law to get the consent of the homeowner before entering armed.

The funny thing about this to me, (and I'm not talking about any one person), lots of people on here like to say concealed means concealed, but they want to be the first one to tell the LEO, the Preacher or whoever else they are armed and/or get permission.