Ok, so a Dillion 550B is too pricey for me...

...right now, so I'm looking at alternatives. The 550B in the 4 calibers that I want to reload is in excess of $1,300. You'd have to load a butt-load of ammo to off-set that price tag.

I'm looking for recommendations on alternatives. I want to reload 9mm, .45 acp, .223, and .308. I don't plan on cranking out hundreds of rounds per hour. It's a hobby/time-killer for me.

Suggestions?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnvolfan

Do you have to order all four calibers at once? I assume you are looking at the Blue Press brochure for pricing , but if not, check them out. I have started out with the 9mm loading, and certainly plan to do more, but not all at once. Midway USA has a big reloading sale in their current monthly brochure -- they may have something there for you. Whatever your decision, keep saving your brass -- just look at some of the current prices of it!! Extremely expensive!!

Lee Turret kit. Depending on how you want to stage your loading, you can get a 3-hole or a 4-hole kit. I hand prime and do all of my de-priming in large batches, so I get by with a 3-hole turret just fine.

The turret press allows for super-fast caliber changeovers. once you have your stuff set up for that caliber all you have to do is snap in the shellholder plate and then set your powder measure and you're off to the races. If you are changing bullet styles, then you will also adjust the bullet seating die. I have made up "dummy" reference cartridges to make it all quick and easy.

I think the Deluxe Turret kit is like $130-$150 or something like that these days, and most Lee Deluxe 4-die sets are like $30. You'll save over a grand going this way vs Dillon!

Since you aren't try to set any world speed records and you want to enjoy the process as a hobby, I think that would be a great solution for you.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Lee Turret kit. Depending on how you want to stage your loading, you can get a 3-hole or a 4-hole kit. I hand prime and do all of my de-priming in large batches, so I get by with a 3-hole turret just fine.

The turret press allows for super-fast caliber changeovers. once you have your stuff set up for that caliber all you have to do is snap in the shellholder plate and then set your powder measure and you're off to the races. If you are changing bullet styles, then you will also adjust the bullet seating die. I have made up "dummy" reference cartridges to make it all quick and easy.

I think the Deluxe Turret kit is like $130-$150 or something like that these days, and most Lee Deluxe 4-die sets are like $30. You'll save over a grand going this way vs Dillon!

Since you aren't try to set any world speed records and you want to enjoy the process as a hobby, I think that would be a great solution for you.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

That's what I'm thinking, thanks. I had a Lee Loader 16 years ago and never had a problem out of it. All I loaded then was .308 for practice rounds out of my police sniper rifle, and it was a single stage.

Do you have to order all four calibers at once? I assume you are looking at the Blue Press brochure for pricing , but if not, check them out. I have started out with the 9mm loading, and certainly plan to do more, but not all at once. Midway USA has a big reloading sale in their current monthly brochure -- they may have something there for you. Whatever your decision, keep saving your brass -- just look at some of the current prices of it!! Extremely expensive!!

I was looking at Brian Enos' site. A spartan two caliber kit was $1,000.

I have a Lee 4 hole turret press, and I really like it. You won't turn out several hundred rounds in an hour, but it seems to go much faster than a single stage. If you don't want to do too much at once starting out (I didn't), you can use the turret press as a single stage.

The Deluxe Turret Press kit from Lee is a pretty good starting point. All I've added to mine thus far, aside from dies and components, has been a powder trickler. I'd say it's a very good starting point.

How is a Dillon 550B with 4 calibers $1300?? The 550 is $406, the conversion kits are 41.95, you can use anybodies dies. I have a lot of RCBS and lee myself. BTW, it comes with one caliber kit. So that is about $532 so far. Lee carbide pistol dies are about $30 and RCBS are about $45.

Anyways, I have had my 550 since 1984. I just recently sent it back to dillon for a overhaul. Completely rebuilt with all the upgrades for 44.95. During the last 25 years is I had a problem I just called and they usually mailed me a new part, no questions. My advice, get the Dillon

Edited by glockster157
prices
Guest reb4life

I have a Lee Progressive 1000 press that works great. For the money I believe Lee equipment is hard to beat. The Progressive 1000 kit which included a set of 45 ACP dies and the Lee Pro Auto-Disk PowderMeasureset me back about $185. Gradually I have purchased Lee dies in 9mm and 38/357 along with other accessories off of Ebay and other places at a great price. It takes time and patience but there are good deals to be found. It sure beats spending $1000’s to accomplish the same thing. You may want to check out the “An Unofficial Lee Reloading Site†at http://www.geocities.com/leereloading/. There is some great detailed information there.

Happy Reloading!

I'm a bit confused on the price as well.

I agree with glockster. I've had my Dillon 550B since 1988 and it runs like a champ!

I originally ordered it with the 45 acp setup (at no additional cost) and added other calibers over time.

The Dillon is really a great investment and will save you money and headaches over time, imho.

A single stage press is also great to have. I also have an old Lee single stage that I've loaded many thousands of rounds on since the mid-80's.

Good Luck with your decision.

Dillon Square Deal B for all pistol calibers and single stage for rifle. $350.00 setup from the factory with one caliber ready to go. DaG

dillon_square_deal_b.jpg

How is a Dillon 550B with 4 calibers $1300?? The 550 is $406, the conversion kits are 41.95, you can use anybodies dies. I have a lot of RCBS and lee myself. BTW, it comes with one caliber kit. So that is about $532 so far. Lee carbide pistol dies are about $30 and RCBS are about $45.

Anyways, I have had my 550 since 1984. I just recently sent it back to dillon for a overhaul. Completely rebuilt with all the upgrades for 44.95. During the last 25 years is I had a problem I just called and they usually mailed me a new part, no questions. My advice, get the Dillon

Four calibers:

x.gif K12xxx RL 550B in Caliber as Specified $ 486.95

308 Carbide (++80.00)

x.gif DIGCA BrianEnos.com Digital Caliper $ 38.95

x.gif 19483 550B Press Instructional DVD $ 19.95

x.gif 12xxx Dillon Stainless Case Gage, Caliber as Specified $ 12.95

PorR: Pistol

x.gif 20048 550B Spare Parts Kit $ 15.95

x.gif 10xxx Dillon 3-Die Set, Caliber as Specified $ 60.95

x.gif SCALE BrianEnos.com Digital Scale/RCBS Powder Pan $ 74.95

x.gif 200xx 4-Pack Primer Pickup Tubes, Size as Specified $ 19.95

x.gif 13606 Primer Flip Tray $ 16.95

x.gif 10330 Reloading Manual - Lyman #49 $ 24.95

x.gif 13733 Dillon Case Lube $ 8.95

x.gif 20xEZ RL 550B Caliber Conversion as Specified $ 41.95

Caliber: 45 GAP

x.gif 22058 550B Deluxe Quick Change Kit $ 91.95

x.gif 10xxP Dillon 3-Die Pistol Set(s) in Caliber(s) Specified $ 60.95

x.gif 12xxP Dillon Pistol Case Gage(s) in Caliber(s) Specified $ 12.95

Caliber: 9mm

x.gif 20xEZ RL 550B Caliber Conversion as Specified $ 114.95

223 Carbide Dies (++73.00)

x.gif 10xxR Dillon 3-Die Rifle Set(s) in Caliber(s) Specified $ 62.95

x.gif 12xxR Dillon Rifle Case Gage(s) in Caliber(s) Specified $ 22.95

Purchase Total: $ 1,489.85

Some of that stuff you are going to have to have whether you buy a Dillon or a Lee single stage. Like a powder scale and a manual. So take those out of the equation. BTW, somehow I have managed to reload 25 years without a digital scale, though I recently picked one up and they are handy but I don't trust it yet as it is finicky. Next, unless you are a commercial reloader you do not need to buy carbide RIFLE dies as you still have to lube them, they are for longevity (But always buy carbide pistol dies unless it is a bottle necked case). You can get basic scales cheap as well as dial calipers, you can do without a lot of that stuff. Use cheaper dies, they all work, add calibers one at a time. Eliminate all that case length stuff if you have calipers, eliminate the quick change stuff, it is easy to do without it, eliminate the spare parts as you can get replacement parts by mail very quickly, eliminate the extra pick up tubes unless you plan on loading 500+ rounds nonstop in one sitting, eliminate the extra caliber conversions with the same rims, 45acp/45 gap, 30/06, 308, etc. All you need is a different drop tube because they take the same shell plate and buttons.

Now recalculate and it will look a lot better.

One other thing, you can get cheap but decent digital or dial calipers at harbor freight. The Dillon stuff is Chinese also. You can get most reloading data online now, just look up IMR, Hogdon, Winchester, etc.

Edited by glockster157
Some of that stuff you are going to have to have whether you buy a Dillon or a Lee single stage. Like a powder scale and a manual. So take those out of the equation. BTW, somehow I have managed to reload 25 years without a digital scale, though I recently picked one up and they are handy but I don't trust it yet as it is finicky. Next, unless you are a commercial reloader you do not need to buy carbide RIFLE dies as you still have to lube them, they are for longevity (But always buy carbide pistol dies unless it is a bottle necked case). You can get basic scales cheap as well as dial calipers, you can do without a lot of that stuff. Use cheaper dies, they all work, add calibers one at a time. Eliminate all that case length stuff if you have calipers, eliminate the quick change stuff, it is easy to do without it, eliminate the spare parts as you can get replacement parts by mail very quickly, eliminate the extra pick up tubes unless you plan on loading 500+ rounds nonstop in one sitting, eliminate the extra caliber conversions with the same rims, 45acp/45 gap, 30/06, 308, etc. All you need is a different drop tube because they take the same shell plate and buttons.

Now recalculate and it will look a lot better.

One other thing, you can get cheap but decent digital or dial calipers at harbor freight. The Dillon stuff is Chinese also. You can get most reloading data online now, just look up IMR, Hogdon, Winchester, etc.

+1.

It took me about two months or so of picking up stuff here and there to get started. Buy what you can now and take your time. don't forget after you get the equip you still have to buy primers powder and bullets. adds up quick

It took me about two months or so of picking up stuff here and there to get started. Buy what you can now and take your time. don't forget after you get the equip you still have to buy primers powder and bullets. adds up quick

Yeah, and fortunately I have primers coming. My BIL hit the jackpot, and is sending me 1,000 primers for each small & large, pistol & rifle. :D

So does this look more appropriate for .45 & .308? I can wait on 9mm & .223:

x.gif K12xxx RL 550B in Caliber as Specified $ 406.95

Caliber: 308 w/Steel Dies

x.gif 12xxx Dillon Stainless Case Gage, Caliber as Specified $ 22.95

Rifle (+10.00)

x.gif 10842 One in. Bench Wrench for Dillon Dies/P.Measure $ 7.95

Caliber: 45 ACP

x.gif 90931 550B Toolhead & Powder Die $ 29.90

Purchase Total: $ 670.45

So does this look more appropriate for .45 & .308? I can wait on 9mm & .223:

x.gif K12xxx RL 550B in Caliber as Specified $ 406.95

Caliber: 308 w/Steel Dies

x.gif 12xxx Dillon Stainless Case Gage, Caliber as Specified $ 22.95

Rifle (+10.00)

x.gif 10842 One in. Bench Wrench for Dillon Dies/P.Measure $ 7.95

Caliber: 45 ACP

x.gif 90931 550B Toolhead & Powder Die $ 29.90

Purchase Total: $ 670.45

We are getting there. Lose the specific case length gauges and pick up a digital or dial caliper. You need to be able to measure more than case length, such as bullet diameter, rims, case head expansion....lots of uses. You can get the Dillon dies, they are very good or you can pick up RCBS dies for $15 less or Lee dies for about half that. The 45acp and 308 take the same shell plate and buttons. Drop one of those, go ahead and pick up the 9mm or .223, just add a 308 Winchester drop tube and you can do both with what you have. I have a Dillon flip tray for primers and I like my cheap $3 MTM one better and use it most of the time.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00008PF

You can get the Dillon case lube but for the money, I prefer Hornady One Shot. Dillon's stuff is like the home made 99% Isopropyl alcohol and lanolin mix....kinda slimy. The tool heads and extra powder dies are a necessity so they are worth it. Add that up and see what you have.

Edited by glockster157

Ok, guys, so with my wife's blessing I ordered by 550B last Friday set up for .45 and 9mm. $600.70 shipped. Thanks for all of your input. Now I'm just waiting to get everything delivered and set-up.

A special thanks to Brett, a.k.a. Glockster157 for the phone conversation and advice. He steered me to other sources for workarounds and cuts. He also got me to consider things from a different perspective for the rifle rounds.

Guest Bust'em

went into sticker shock over a 650 last spring. waited & found a used 550 on Craigslist with a lot of goodies pitched in. Also, found 2 friends that wanted to go in a 1/3. in my garage. have more ca$h for powder & bullets now. life is good.