I'm getting tired of these server problems...

• Administrator

We use a somewhat unique web server called Litespeed that replaces the more common Apache. It's been extremely resilient in the face of DDOS attacks and things like that, but lately a bad piece of code in a version update started causing instability problems.

I thought we had it licked and then the vendor released an update that they said was "the cure" for the previous bug. Like a moron, I upgraded.

:)

So we're back to running the old version again and I'm sitting here just waiting and watching to see if it will explode once more or just run reliably as it has for the past 4 days.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you switch to Apache if you had another choice to protect against DDoS attacks? If not something like an ASA 5505, then something Linux based? Maybe with all the geeks on here we could come up with an alternate solution. Just a thought.

• Administrator
Would you switch to Apache if you had another choice to protect against DDoS attacks? If not something like an ASA 5505, then something Linux based? Maybe with all the geeks on here we could come up with an alternate solution. Just a thought.

Back in the day, I had my own data center and had my own network-layer defenses to mitigate these problems. Now, I'm relying on a data center in Chicago which typically does well for us... doesn't cost a whole lot... but doesn't do much in terms of security.

Litespeed is actually head and shoulders better than Apache (IMO) but this latest bug is pretty freaking annoying.

Guest Bluemax

David,

I think you do an excellenant job of manageing this forum. You really do, when one takes into account all the"small stuff" which most of us take for granted. Keep your head up..your doing a good job

Guest SUNTZU

tngunowners.com in a Chicago server, that's one way to get guns into Chicago. :tinfoil: I would imagine that they wouldn't give a gun forum good service in that lovely place.

Would throwing money at the problem help? Perhaps you could have multiple-level benefactors. The current benefactor status would remain, and you could add one or two more 'exclusive' levels for those able and willing to donate to allow more capital for upgrades. Not sure what you could offer the 'bigger' donors or if it even helps, just a thought...

• Administrator
And it still appears unstable.

I hadn't noticed. :)

Edited to add... the damn thing cut me off while I was trying to finish my post. There should have been a laughing smilie at the end of that. I've been working on the server pretty much all morning and it's starting to get on my last nerve.

Edited by TGO David
Guest mustangdave

I would say...dude...get a DELL...but I don't know that much about em cept the Pentium 90 I used in the military. What about it? Hook a brutha up with a new server...

• Administrator
David: Aren't you just contracting server space and ISP for this forum? You don't physically have the server, do you?

Nope. As soon as I find a co-lo that doesn't charge an obscene amount of money for rack space, I'll put a server of my own in there. :lol:

Nope. As soon as I find a co-lo that doesn't charge an obscene amount of money for rack space, I'll put a server of my own in there. :lol:

I work for Dell in the Small/Medium Business Sales Division, (not as a salesman), so when you are ready to go after your server I may be able to facilitate you getting the best deal possible. PM me when you're ready.