SKS Night

poak

So, this afternoon I get a call from my girlfriend's younger brother. He tells me he scored and awesome deal on an SKS, but it needs to be cleaned up a little. I tell him to bring it on over, and meet me in the war room.

He shows up, and presents his newly acquired Chinese manufactured SKS w/ a choate paratrooper stock. I start inspecting it...

The previous owner apparently decided to paint the bolt flat black :eek:

The points of the rifle that are lucky enough to still have a bit of oil on them have cat hair stuck to them :eek:

Geez... this thing was a turd!

So, we spent the whole night tearing it down, and we've begun stripping it.

I went to work on the bolt with a very fine grit sand paper to remove the excess paint when it became apparent why the previous owner decided to paint it... to cover up the rust :P. The rust wasn't to heavy, just a little surface rust, I guess the last owner was a very special kind of lazy bastard.

So, he's only got $100 in the thing right now, and I've personally learned a lot about the SKS tonight. So maybe in a week or two he'll have a decent shooter on his hands.

Edited by poak
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just gotten through building my Norinco SKS from parts. There's a thread in Show and Tell about it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I have set mine up to be a defensive shooter to around 100yrds.

Things I've done to mine include:

New spring loaded firing pin

Albanian bolt carrier

New gas piston

Tapco T-6 stock with Tapco 20rd mags

UTG Tri-rail receiver cover mount

BSA Red Dot

Modded the bolt to mimic a "D's" bolt (allows insert/removal of Tapco/AK mags)

(in the mail) I have a seperate trigger group on it's way to "Kavari" for a trigger job and to have the sear polished. He turns it into a true two stage trigger.

All I need to do is get it Duracoated and I'll be done.....

Here she is in all her glory...:P

Norinco003.jpg

Edited by kwe45919
I've just gotten through building my Norinco SKS from parts. There's a thread in Curios and Relics about it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I have set mine up to be a defensive shooter to around 100yrds.

Things I've done to mine include:

New spring loaded firing pin

Albanian bolt carrier

New gas piston

Tapco T-6 stock with Tapco 20rd mags

UTG Tri-rail receiver cover mount

BSA Red Dot

(in the mail) I have a seperate trigger group on it's way to "Kavari" for a trigger job and to have the sear polished. He turns it into a true two stage trigger.

All I need to do is get it Duracoated and I'll be done.....

Here she is in all her glory...:P

Norinco003.jpg

It looks like you're getting a little low on ammo.

You know, it sounds like he'll end up with a good deal and you'll gain a lot of knowledge. I'd call that a win win for a $100!

Definitely win-win!

kwe: That's probably one of the cleanest SKSs I've ever seen. Are those the Tapco 20 rounders? Do they feed reliably?

It looks like you're getting a little low on ammo.

Hehe....actually, I am a little low. That's 19 Tapco 20 rounders full and what 375 rounds between the Wolf and Surpluss boxes and then another 40rounds of Winchester....maybe 800rds sitting there in the pic..........so yeah, gettin' low. :P

Definitely win-win!

kwe: That's probably one of the cleanest SKSs I've ever seen. Are those the Tapco 20 rounders? Do they feed reliably?

Absoutly. No issues with feeding. I modded/grinded my bolt to mimic the "D" models' bolt that use the AK mags. That way I can insert/remove the Tapco mags without having to hold the bolt open.

Check out Survivors SKS boards. TONS of info there and a lot of great people to help you out with questions or mods.

Everything I have done to improve my SKS, came from here:

Chinese

Guest mikedwood

So, he's only got $100 in the thing right now, and I've personally learned a lot about the SKS tonight. So maybe in a week or two he'll have a decent shooter on his hands.

I don't think you can hurt an SKS so he's probably going to have at worst a pretty decent gun when you get done with it. Super sweet!

Guest trarebel13

KWE is that wolf ammo reliable? i have an AR-15 ordered and on the way and a lot of the AR thread on other gun forums say wolf ammo is unreliable and to stay away from it.

whats been your experience with it?

KWE is that wolf ammo reliable? i have an AR-15 ordered and on the way and a lot of the AR thread on other gun forums say wolf ammo is unreliable and to stay away from it.

Wolf ammo is reliable you might get a dud every now and then but thats happend with every other brand I have used as well(Other than Hornady TAP). I dont know about wolf handgun ammo though I tried to run it through my Beretta 96 and it locked it up and was a pain in the ass to get the slide free again.

As far as the 7.62x39 and 9mm goes, I've never had an issue. Then again the SKS and my Glocks can eat anything with no problems. The Wolf Mil Classic shoots better than any of the military surpluss I've had to date in 7.62x39.....