Has something changed at the post office?

I go to the post office in Spring Hill about once a week and every time I walk in I read the sign about no firearms, but today when I went in all the signs were gone. I walked around and looked at all the doors and none of them had it. I looked all over and could not find anything that said you could not have firearms inside.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I guess the reason I posted this was to see if this has happened any place other than here.

I will pay attention the next time I'm at my local PO and let you know. I will say this: The last time I was at the PO, I overheard the woman behind the counter tell a man who was opening up a PO Box account that he should be alert if he were to visit after dark as they have had some muggings in the parking lot.

Keep in mind, this isn't Memphis or some other "high crime" area that I'm talking about here. I was pretty surprised to hear the clerk even admit to this.

Note that the handgun restriction must be posted, as per below. Without the posting, regardless of the hunting or lawful purpose thingy, they would be in violation of USC by not posting.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html

"Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (:D shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

Guest Kingfish
And my question is unless you have to actually fire it WHY would they ever know you have it to begin with?

Because some of us practice the right of open carry and some of us do not want to make ourselves criminals.

Thank you Mars......So if I'm reading this correctly, if it is not posted correctly (even if it is a federal building) then they can not prosecute you???

Not necessarily.

An argument can be made that you should have known the law even if the local PO people didn't comply with the law. I think their not posting would be helpful in your defense, but whether it was pertinent would be up to the courts.

As I said in the other thread I DO carry open ...just rarely.

I just cannot find any advantage to it that is not outweighed by other issues. I'm just practical that way.....

But while I don't often do it myself I will defend tooth and nail the right to do so. Make no mistake about that. I'm not against it from anything other than a practical standpoint.

Guest Phantom6
And my question is unless you have to actually fire it WHY would they ever know you have it to begin with?

And firing your handgun in self defense at an individual aggressing on you with the intent to kill you or do you serious bodily injury is a defense under the law. Sure wouldn't want to pay the legal bills on this though but it beats the tar out of beginning the eternal dirt nap earlier than necessary.

Guest Phantom6
carrying in a post office might not be a bad idea with their track record.:D just don't be suprised when they're better armed than you are. :up:

Hey Towerclimber, believe it or not I once did an entire carry permit class especially for a group of postal workers. Is that scary or what?