WW II Luger (Pics) + Info?

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

Hey guys, had a nice little surprise tonight. My mother in law came over tonight to visit with her grandson etc., and she brought her Father's WWII Luger for me to look at and hold on to.

I don't know a whole lot about these, but understand there are several versions, years, etc. Here are some pictures of the gun and the holster. I was able to track the holster down to a company in Germany (duh) who manufactured them for soilders. The gun has serial #'s on the side and under the frame by the trigger guard. There's also a two digit # on the barrel (36). Has the eagle (?) markings on there as well.

Just thought I'd check on here and see if anyone can tell me specifics about this particular pistol. Thanks!

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

Edited by JHatmaker
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The eagles look like Weimar Republic stamps, so if that is what they are, the gun was made prior to Hitler coming to power. The anchor mark might mean it was a Kreigsmarine (German Navy) issue. The holster has a swastika marking so that is probably not the original issue holster.

Check all the places including the magazines. All original Lugers had matching serial #'s for their parts, including the magazine(s).

Hope this helps, even though I am not a Luger expert by any means.

What a beaut JHat!

My grandfather had a real nice bring back from his time in Europe (D-Day Vet, later received a purple heart inland). He showed it to me when I was 12 or 13 one summer along w/ his medals while he told me stories about the war. I'll never forget that night, as it was the ONE time he ever talked about the beach landing and what he saw that day. My dad said he never once talked about it to him either. I always hoped I would one day be able to hang onto it to keep in the family.

Unfortunately, when his Alzheimers got bad, an uncle who is no one's favorite walked off with it. He claims he still has it in safe keeping, but I'm not so sure. If I found out he sold it, "upset" will be the understatement of the century.

I'm hoping to reclaim it at some point, as if this questionable uncle passes it to his even more questionable kids, it'll most likely be hawked at the first opportunity.

Guest JHatmaker

I'm trying to find out the story, i.e. if he shot another soilder, took one from a captured soilder, or just brought it back like most of them did. It has a lot of holster wear on the tip of the barrel and the sides that first touch the holster. It has two mags, and the serial #'s on them match the gun.

My mother-in-law can't recall the story, so she's going to get in touch with her mom in Tiptonville to see if she can shed some light. If seems to be in great condition, it was well oiled, but I gently cleaned the older grease off and re-luped it.

Guest beefcakeb0

sorry guys, and JH, i thought momentarily that might be useful, i should have known everybody knows thats valuable. its a beaut, and i would love to be able to run accross something such as you have been left to hold.

Guest JHatmaker

I checked out a couple boards. Serial # is 4053, with a 36 on the top back of the barrel.

Neither one of those links work for me.

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest JHatmaker

Perfect thanks, I submitted the pistol information to be identified.

Loon160 was correct, it was for the Luftwaffe according to the site he gave me as well as Kahrman's site. The quality and feel of this pistol is amazing, all the pieces fit so tight.

Guest JHatmaker
NICE Jhat

Is there an N under the eagle?

I don't think so, it looks like a "2". Also, under the barrel, along with the serial # and another eagle, is 8.85

Perfect thanks, I submitted the pistol information to be identified.

Loon160 was correct, it was for the Luftwaffe according to the site he gave me as well as Kahrman's site. The quality and feel of this pistol is amazing, all the pieces fit so tight.

Wow. It's such a cool piece of history, and IMO, they are really cool guns to boot.

If it IS Luftwaffe, that alone makes it more historically significant, doesn't it?