How Young Were You

Guest logicprevails

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest billwilly73

I was 10, the gun was a 410 single shot. Dad bought it for me at a pawn shop when I passed my hunters safety course. It was a $20 gun, the wood was crappy and the bluing was gone. We refinished the stock and reblued the barrel and got it looking like new again.

About 15 years ago someone broke into our house in Knoxville and stole it. I wish I knew the POS that took it or where it was now, I would love to have it back.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I got a blue daisy BB gun, lever action, when I was around 7. Shot my dads and granddads rifles and scatterguns until I bought my own 1911 Colt series 70 when I was 14. I didn't really own a rifle until I was about 17 when I got a remington 550 semi auto 22LR. Always loved the smell of spent powder. My kids recently had their first trip to the range at age 5.

Guest Bluemax

Not counting BB guns my firsts were

7 years old FIE 410 shotgun

8 years old JC Higgins 22 rifle.. Pap paid 20 bucks for it

12 years old High Standard Double Nine 22 complete with tye down holster just like in the Westerns...We were kinda poor and Pap did some work for a guy so I could have this for my birthday

Guest 3pugguy
How young were you when you got your first gun? I was 7. Drove down to Ray Judge's in Winchester from Springfield with my dad many moons ago to get mine. Got a Rossi .22 Gallery, kid-sized....still have it! I've got my 6 YO l'il gal a pink Crickett for this Christmas am. Can't wait!

I was about 7 or 8 - winchester .22, semi-auto. Sorry to say I don't recall the model, but it shot either long or short and loaded thru a slot. It had a scope on it and if I could see any part of a squirrel, it was toast.

My Dad wouldn't get me a BB gun, cause he said kids tended to think it was a toy and would hurt someone. So it was pretty cool - country kid had a real rifle; my city schoolmates and friends only had BB guns.

Thinking about that brings back memories of times I wish I could recreate with my late Dad - cold, clear mornings, out tramping around the fields and woods - no rushing to go anywhere and the ability to simply ENJOY the outdoors and being together with him and other family and or friends.

It didn't matter if we got anything or not, as it was just great to be out and about. IMO, anyone who hunts and takes their kids along, to teach them gun safety, respect for the sport, etc, is doing a good thing for the kid. I don't hunt anymore, but think doing so as a kid with my Dad gave me the appreciation I have for the outdoors and preserving places for people who do want to hunt - and teach their kids. And sorry, not trying to jack your thread. ;)

Guest 3pugguy
23 as I recall, but that was a long time ago! A Winchester semi-auto .22 that I still have.

Does it by chance load thru a slot under the barrel and the amount you can load depends on if using longs or shorts?

Guest logicprevails
And sorry, not trying to jack your thread. ;)

No jack at all. That's the same sentiment I have when looking back at hunting with my dad. He's still around, but can't hunt amymore. Some of the best memories of my life,though; and I hope to give the same to my l'il girl :blush:.

I was five or six when I got my first BB gun. I was 12 when I got my first real gun, a 10/22 which I still have. I shot guns a lot with my dad before then until he passed away, but that 10/22 was the first gun that was my very own. I payed for half of it from mowing yards and my mom payed for the rest. Good memories.;) Many a ground hog met it's maker courtesy of that 10/22.

Edited by USMCJG
Guest Bluemax
I was about 7 or 8 - winchester .22, semi-auto. Sorry to say I don't recall the model, but it shot either long or short and loaded thru a slot. It had a scope on it and if I could see any part of a squirrel, it was toast.

My Dad wouldn't get me a BB gun, cause he said kids tended to think it was a toy and would hurt someone. So it was pretty cool - country kid had a real rifle; my city schoolmates and friends only had BB guns.

Thinking about that brings back memories of times I wish I could recreate with my late Dad - cold, clear mornings, out tramping around the fields and woods - no rushing to go anywhere and the ability to simply ENJOY the outdoors and being together with him and other family and or friends.

It didn't matter if we got anything or not, as it was just great to be out and about. IMO, anyone who hunts and takes their kids along, to teach them gun safety, respect for the sport, etc, is doing a good thing for the kid. I don't hunt anymore, but think doing so as a kid with my Dad gave me the appreciation I have for the outdoors and preserving places for people who do want to hunt - and teach their kids. And sorry, not trying to jack your thread. ;)

I feel the same way very time I get on one of these nostalgic threads and start remembering the good old days, my first squirrel hunt, I cant remember how old I was probably 7 or 8. My Dad got me up way before daylight.Mom got up with us and fussed so much she had me bundled up so I almost couldn't raise my arms. When he found a tree that he put me under it was still dark and pretty foggy and he went on about 25 yrds and found himself a spot. I waited and watched and could tell by the limbs and leaves moving that there was something jumping around in the tree's around me. I waited to shoot probably about as long as any kid that age could and shot and missed, about 2 seconds later Pap shot and the squirrel about dropped in my lap. By the time we went home Dad had got 3 squirrels and I managed to get one, I would give a year of my life if I could do it again with him

Guest 3pugguy
No jack at all. That's the same sentiment I have when looking back at hunting with my dad. He's still around, but can't hunt amymore. Some of the best memories of my life,though; and I hope to give the same to my l'il girl ;).

Good deal! And it's great your girl will not only spend time with you, but be smart about guns and protecting herself, too!

Daisy BB gun when I was about 7 or 8. I still have it, and my 6 Yo son is learning to shoot it now.

My dad bought me a Charles Daily 20ga over and under for Christmas when I was about 10. He got it used, but it was in great shape. It still is, and I still have it. Too many memories to ever part with it.

Guest JHatmaker

1st Grade, I can't remember the brand, but I saved up a bunch of chore money, and my Dad took me to Walmart and let me get a pellet gun. My mom was soooo pissed.

A few years later I got my first Ruger 10/22

I can't even remember my first BB gun... I was young. I got my first 22 at around 8 or 9. A Remington bolt action. I got a Winchester 94 XTR for Christmas when I was 13.

We always had guns around the house growing up. All I had to do was ask, and clean them afterwards, to take any of them to the range.

I grew up without a dad,and mom was afraid of guns. I hunted using my uncles guns. At the grand old age of nineteen I bought a Savage/Stevens model 67(I think) 20 ga.This was followed closely by my first handgun. I had no experience at all with pistols and bought a 22. rohm from a guy at a pool hall.It was 20 bucks and you couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. It got me started though.