Recommend a gun for my son

Guest jimboro

Did I mention he got it for his sixth birthday?:D Of course he isn't to touch it without adult supervision. I think he did really well with it. Time will tell if he continues to. One can never start too early engraining firearms safety into a child's mind. The first time he hit the bullseye, I saw the biggest smile on his face I've seen in a long time.

My son got his first when he was 6, just like I did. I think it's a great age to start learning. They are very receptive to what Dad tells them at that age, much more so than at 13.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its not really his rifle then. QUOTE]

Disagree 100%. My son is 8 now, and does not shoot it without my supervision. That rifle is still his, though, any way you cut it. That's also HIS 9mm that he's shooting in my avatar.

I guess I have a certain notion of what ownership means. To me, thats not it. But what you describe seems reasonable to me.

Sure thing, Mugster. I'll promise that any boy at any age will have that certain pride of ownership, even if he can only shoot it with his dad.

I'll say this to the OP, no matter what rifle you decide on, you're son will be tickled as all get out to have his "very own". I had a hard time deciding on my boy's first, but Dick's having the Mossberg 702 Plinkster on sale for $79 the day after Thanksgiving a couple of years ago made my decision for me, LOL.

Wow! Thanks to all for all the input.

I knew this was a great site as soon as I found it.

Yes, it will start out as "my" gun. At first it will be mine and a special occasion for him to learn to shoot it. A reward for being a good kid and staying on the right path to manhood.

He has a couple BB guns (remember when they were metal BB's? Ha!)

Still looking for any and all input.

Thanks again for everyone's time.

A youth sized Henry lever action. As previously stated: no safety concerns associated with an new/young shooter using a semi-auto; yet allows for follow-up shots after they have mastered the basic safety and rifle skills. Plus you can buy a full size stock or a slip on recoil pad for when they have grown. These hold there value reasonably well if you take care of it. Wally World has them or will order $257. Henry's cutomer service is legendary.

Wow! Thanks to all for all the input.

I knew this was a great site as soon as I found it.

Yes, it will start out as "my" gun. At first it will be mine and a special occasion for him to learn to shoot it. A reward for being a good kid and staying on the right path to manhood.

He has a couple BB guns (remember when they were metal BB's? Ha!)

Still looking for any and all input.

Thanks again for everyone's time.

Jimboro,

Let it be "his" gun. Not something that is borrowed, and I promise there will be a pride of ownership that is 2nd to none. Of course, it can be regulated, just like anything else that a child owns, but let it be his. I do not shoot any of my son's guns without asking, and that gives a huge amount of pride. Of course, he does not get to enjoy them unless he follows ALL rules, but he can't shoot them I don't, either.

Edited by Good_Steward
Jimboro,

Let it be "his" gun. Not something that is borrowed, and I promise there will be a pride of ownership that is 2nd to none. Of course, it can be regulated, just like anything else that a child owns, but let it be his. I do not shoot any of my son's guns without asking, and that gives a huge amount of pride. Of course, he does not get to enjoy them unless he follows ALL rules, but he can't shoot them I don't, either.

Good point.

Very good point Good Steward. Yes I bought my son a 10/22 for his 12th bday, the only reason it wasn't earlier was getting MOM to beleive in guns. BTW now I she carries anywhere she goes :D.

My son's rifle is his rifle, I don't shoot it unless I ask him first. But you should see his grin when I say "let's go shoot".

Now his little but is trying to take over my Moisn 91/30.:P

I got him a 10/22 But still reconmend a slower action for the beginer.

You can load only one round in a 10/22 magazine.

I was worried about fundamentals, technique and safety when my daughter began shooting. But I also knew it wouldn't be long before I was going to be looking for a 10/22.

When she first started shooting, I loaded the magazine with one round at a time. It's nearly the same as loading one round at a time with a bolt-atction.

RUGER 10/22, he will use it the rest of his life. If you get anything less you will wind up buying it anyway in the future.... book it

Who ends up buying just one gun anyway? :P

I guess I'm just old school, but I'd go with a bolt action single shot, or maybe one with a detachable magazine like a Remington Model 5 Youth. They're perfect to teach the fundamentals. And get him involved in an NRA Junior shooters program. When I was a kid, I progressed up through the ranks of Pro-Marksman, Marksman to Sharpshooter with like the 4th bar. It was a real matter of pride to me.

Edited by HexHead